Silverstein - Orchid cover

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

crowquill

Re: Silverstein - Orchid cover

Post by crowquill »

Pete > You wrote:
crowquill wrote:
Pete > You wrote:The fuck you talking about "lo-fi"? The original is pretty standard when it comes to recording. Not using douchebag studio trends doesn't make a recording "lo-fi".

Also, get the fucking pic out of your sig. Do not replace it with any other pic.
I meant in comparison. Lo-fi does not equal to something being of shitty quality, but when you compare it to Silverstein's cover you can't argue that their production is "better". I hope you have a really smug smile on your face when you write online without even thinking about what you're saying.
Lo-fi is actually a term with a meaning behind it.

Yes, you can actually argue that a recording using a studio as a studio and not throwing in every trendy gimmick and making a recording sound dated instantly is indeed a better recording.

Why did you feel the need to write that last sentence in your post? I am seriously asking. I actually do know quite a bit about record engineering. Enough so that I can already tell you know absolutely nothing about it. So why did you add that last bit in there? You thought it wasn't going to make me call you out on your shit? What was I going to say? "Oh snap, he must know a lot about what he's talking about because he said that, despite the fact he doesn't know lo-fi is a real term and thinks a compressed to shit "turned-up-to-eleven" recording with no cymbal transience, flavour-of-the-month digital voice effects, and at least one guy in the studio who said to the engineers 'put some more cinematic on it' is better than one that actually had dynamic range. He showed me!"
I do know alot about sound engineering. I never said Silverstein's cover was a better recording either.

The thing is, as you know, I am from Sweden. When you're not familiar with terms in other languages, things tend to get mixed up and misinterpreted. Lo-fi for me has always meant of "poorer" (notice the quotation marks? I use the term poorer loosely because, as I said, I don't know a better word to explain what I mean) recording quality, because let's face it, Silverstein's recording IS of "better quality", aminotrite? That doesn't mean it's better for everyone. I for one prefer Orchid's recording and I don't look at it as being crappy quality. As I said, if you're not 100 percent familiar with english terms, a word like lo-fi can easily be misinterpreted.

I'm just fed up with the hard-ass front that you put up whenever someone is wrong and you obviously are right. Maybe it's just me but it just gets me tired. Why can't one be friendly to another on the internet? Do you always put on that front whenever you disagree with someone? That's all I meant, just fucking THINK for a second before going in guns blazing.

untitled6

Post by untitled6 »

peep the sig, dudes
be excellent to one another

crowquill

Post by crowquill »

hang on i found a highres picture from that film gimmie a minute

dakota fanning

Post by dakota fanning »

heja crowquill!

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

crowquill wrote:I do know alot about sound engineering. I never said Silverstein's cover was a better recording either.
Really?
crowquill wrote:I meant in comparison. Lo-fi does not equal to something being of shitty quality, but when you compare it to Silverstein's cover you can't argue that their production is "better". I hope you have a really smug smile on your face when you write online without even thinking about what you're saying.
Are you going to blame that on your poor grasp of English too? :roll:
crowquill wrote: The thing is, as you know, I am from Sweden. When you're not familiar with terms in other languages, things tend to get mixed up and misinterpreted. Lo-fi for me has always meant of "poorer" (notice the quotation marks? I use the term poorer loosely because, as I said, I don't know a better word to explain what I mean) recording quality, because let's face it, Silverstein's recording IS of "better quality", aminotrite? That doesn't mean it's better for everyone. I for one prefer Orchid's recording and I don't look at it as being crappy quality. As I said, if you're not 100 percent familiar with english terms, a word like lo-fi can easily be misinterpreted.
So what do you call the genre of lo-fi in Swedish? Or the techniques employed for recording something specifically as lo-fi? You also said that the Silverstein version is a better here, directly contradicting something you must have typed out mere seconds earlier. I'm calling bullshit on this, as well as your allegedly poor grasp of English. You fucked up, you stepped right into it, and now you're just trying to cover your ass.

I refuse to believe there is a single recording engineer in the entire Western Hemisphere who doesn't know what lo-fi is.

crowquill wrote: I'm just fed up with the hard-ass front that you put up whenever someone is wrong and you obviously are right. Maybe it's just me but it just gets me tired. Why can't one be friendly to another on the internet? Do you always put on that front whenever you disagree with someone? That's all I meant, just fucking THINK for a second before going in guns blazing.
Again, really?
crowquill wrote:I meant in comparison. Lo-fi does not equal to something being of shitty quality, but when you compare it to Silverstein's cover you can't argue that their production is "better". I hope you have a really smug smile on your face when you write online without even thinking about what you're saying.
Also, what exactly should I be thinking about before I post, bro? And by bro, I mean not your bro.

If you're so tired of it, then fucking leave. It's the internet, you can do that.

thisguyisalright

Post by thisguyisalright »

untitled6 wrote:peep the sig, dudes
Hahaha please, be safe.

crowquill

Post by crowquill »

Noticed the quotation marks around the word better that you just quoted from me? Or are you just seeing past them so you have a reason to keep bitching?

I'm done now. I'm not going to try and explain myself any further because you are still stuck on my first post and not really listening to anything that I am trying to say.

Hanky Pym

Post by Hanky Pym »

Pete > You wrote:I really don't give a shit about their cover one way or another, just this guy's nonsense about the original being "lo-fi".
Yeah, I get it. It's just really pathetic though man, why care so much?

CitizenOfUlysses

Post by CitizenOfUlysses »

Last edited by CitizenOfUlysses on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hanky Pym

Post by Hanky Pym »

i like to argue about dumb stuff on the internet as much as the next guy (see my other posts here), but i dunno...nitpicking some guy over the semantics of the word lo-fi, especially when they're not a native english speaker... I'll stow it now, in-case i find myself on the receiving end of something.