PO: YOU & I - Saturdays Cab Ride Home UP NOW!

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

literamaniac

Re: Coming Soon... You & I - Saturdays Cab Ride Home Repress

Post by literamaniac »

chef wrote:
saalt wrote:i dont think this really needs to be repressed
ditto, not their best stuff, plus the OG copy goes for <$20 on ebay.
I've never seen it for less than 30 other than the time I won it for 27, and fucking, not everyone can drop 20-30 dollars on a record, dig?

The Curtain Falls needs to be repressed more than this though, Discogs doesn't even acknowledge a vinyl run of it and if I hadn't seen a photo of it somewhere I wouldn't have even known to keep the dream alive. But this record is awesome. I have an OG copy, but I'm stoked for all the fucking teenagers that are getting a crack at owning this without having to drop 30 bucks at once.

I wonder if they'll redo all the original inserts. The Y2K one that says "When the lights go out, start breaking shit" is a fantastic relic of a bygone era (the '90s) that should get brought back if only for shits and giggles.

jeremy

Re: PO: YOU & I - Saturdays Cab Ride Home UP NOW!

Post by jeremy »

I know Tom isn't crazy about Within the Frame, but I think a 10"/LP of that would rule.

ifp

Post by ifp »

i wish we knew half of what we know about gear/tone and recording quality back in 1997 as we know now. with the exception of our first 7", we could never really get the sound of the band captured on tape.

i'm killing time at work, so i'll rant for a second.

releases:

the first 7" was repressed on track star records about a year after the band broke up. this version has me listed as "charles schlatter" which was an error on the part of whoever did the layout. the original version was on sage records (i think the only release sage records ever did). we could have just released this and nothing else and i would have been happy; the recording, song writing, etc all pretty much capture the band as i would like it represented. both pressings were 1000 each. (note: this was at a time when pressing 1000 cds or lps wasn't too strange for a diy band because downloading mp3s had not started yet. if you had a turntable hooked up to a cassette player then you could duplicate it on cassette, and that was pretty much the only way to get a duplicate of the songs that were only released on vinyl).

the cab ride lp sold out of the original 1000 copies pretty quickly while we were still a band. years later it was going on ebay for quite a bit until we released the "discography" cd on alone records. ebay prices dropped at that point, which was basically our intention. as gabe pointed out though, i think people still occasionally search out the vinyl of that release and chris z was especially partial to it; so we figured, what the hell. no harm, no foul, let's just repress it for fun. i think chris pressed 300 of them this time. they have a different insert this time, but other than that the art is pretty much the same.

within the frame was recorded at probably the highest point of morale in the band. it was the first recording with chris boland on drums. however, the recording quality and production are really digital and cold sounding. i would love to hear those songs recorded with better engineering, they were always great to play live. the strange part is we recorded the first 7", cab ride and within the frame all at the same studio with the same engineer, but for some reason within the frame just came out really sterile sounding. it was released at a point where people were buying cds, and cds were much cheaper to produce than vinyl. we never thought to do it on vinyl because the cd was selling at shows and distros pretty well. 1000 were pressed and before the band was done i think we had run through that press.

the curtain falls was recorded about 2 months after the band broke up. the recording is pretty messy and loaded with mistakes. there were no rehearsals really for it and some of the parts we learned in the studio very quickly on the spot. we had 2 days to do it because we were recording at a studio 4 hours away from where we lived. the engineer skimmed some hours off that, leaving us with us about a day and a half. we recorded the vocals all at the same time, 3 mics in one room all at once, so the vocals are a bit of a mess. playing these songs now they sound much better, again, i wish i could hear them recorded properly. this record did not appear on the "discography" because the label that original put it out threatened us with legal action if we included it. i have no idea how many were pressed between the cd and vinyl, perhaps 1000 each? i don't even own a copy of this, it perished in a basement flood of my last apartment. i suppose one day i should search a copy out, to have for documentation purposes. anybody want to sell me one?

literamaniac

Post by literamaniac »

So all this time the intensity that made me love "The Curtain Falls" so much was just good ol' fashioned sloppiness. Punx.

I'm loling at Charles Schlatter. 7" is my favorite release and I am still trying to track down an original pressing of that. Found someone willing to sell it to me, but I'm broke as hell right now. Probably gonna go for it though, they're not asking for much, and Nishad paid $20 for his, so as I've discovered, not a high-ticket item like Cab Ride used to be before the re-press was announced (I think I only even got mine so cheap because the repress had been announced by the time I bought it, saw it go for I think $60 once), just bloody difficult to find.

Within the Frame is probably my least favorite of your releases and I think it has a lot to do with the vibe on the recording having that kind of sterile vibe to it. Just kinda lacked any punch. But still, some good songs on it, stoked to hear you play them on Sunday.

Someone sell Tom their Curtain Falls LP.

Then someone else sell me their Curtain Falls LP.

xChrisZx

Post by xChrisZx »

From now on I am going to refer to Tom as Chuck.

There are 500 of the repress.

My favorite you & i record is the 7" and curtain falls.

For there being 1000 copies of each of those records they are IMPOSSIBLE to find.

I got my OG first lp from Chuck Schlatter (and it was the first time I had ever actually seen one) and my Curtain Falls lp from a dude on DF I think.
The 7" repress I got from a distro, sold it and then got another one from a friend. Still looking for an OG press.

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

xChrisZx wrote:For there being 1000 copies of each of those records they are IMPOSSIBLE to find.
They were pretty easy to come by a couple of years ago. Has the market really changed that much?

xChrisZx

Post by xChrisZx »

Pete > You wrote:
xChrisZx wrote:For there being 1000 copies of each of those records they are IMPOSSIBLE to find.
They were pretty easy to come by a couple of years ago. Has the market really changed that much?
Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.
I see the first 7" repress all the time but everything else has always been hard to come by. For me at least.

xChrisZx

Post by xChrisZx »

Bringing this to the top just to say that there are now less than 100 copies of the repress available. Only 8 of those are white.