Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

iKichigai

Re: Philosophy

Post by iKichigai »

loveinathens wrote:It's not necessarily hearty if you build narratives around the sun. We're practically heliocentric. Anthropologically rooted heliocentric existentialist-core. :)) HOW MANY SONGS DO WE HAVE ABOUT THE SUN?
Dammit we do have a weird sun fixation.
loveinathens wrote:
iKichigai wrote: Duh? Compared to you I'm just Asimo. I am Japanese and short.
Fix'd.
And you just have to rat on me. Wow, I hate you.
実存は本質に先立つ。
http://www.myspace.com/caitlynbailey

marketfresh

Post by marketfresh »

more like philawlsophy, amIright?

matt

Post by matt »

this thread makes me angry

Yetisnacks

Post by Yetisnacks »

i have a degree in philosophy. fml

neck_cannon

Post by neck_cannon »

matt wrote:this thread makes me angry
what're you going to do about it? :evil:

CitizenOfUlysses

Post by CitizenOfUlysses »

Last edited by CitizenOfUlysses on Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

iKichigai

Post by iKichigai »

Yetisnacks wrote:i have a degree in philosophy. fml
Still mad respect to you man, lulz.
Philosophy majors are quite rare in the university that I went to mainly because of the professors hired from the deep bowels of hell. In my entire batch we only had ONE philosophy major who survived and graduated.
I've considered taking up Philosophy but I didn't have a clear idea of what I'd become after so I chose Psychology instead.
I kind of regret I didn't take it as a minor though.
CitizenOfUlysses wrote: I love Nietzsche cause he makes me lawl ;) and he's probably one of the clearest and most concise and most entertaining of philosophers. Heidegger kindaish disavowed his Nazism after a bit, and both the women he had affairs with were Jewish :lol: Sartre is just pure pwnage
Precisely dude, he's lol-worthy on epic proportions that I just couldn't take him seriously. And I've always thought he was high when he wrote Thus Spake Zarathustra (and all of his books). Besides, he's just tad bit too easy a namedrop for teenage kids tryin'a sport the "I am so dark and deep" shtick or whatevs. It's just too painful to watch. On a side note, I can imagine Nietzsche becoming a skramo kid if he's not a philosopher and was born in this era.
His emoshunz are just too violent for him to not become one, ya know.

And I am Nietzsche is the first song I've ever heard from Orchid and since then it's been my favorite Orchid song. :lol:
実存は本質に先立つ。

matt

Post by matt »

no one is really talking about philosophy.

those that are into this... why? what have you gained from it?

iKichigai

Post by iKichigai »

matt wrote:no one is really talking about philosophy.

Every field of study we have today we owe it all to Philosophy.
So no Philosophy = no internets (amirite?)

But fo' srs, in a staggeringly vapid universe where everything is taken at face value, I guess it just makes life a lot less mundane. Besides, it's aesthetically pleasing. While some would argue that it's just a vanity field, it's actually quite helpful in so many ways to gain rational (or remotely close to it) understanding of the world (logic, the scientific method, ethics, etc). I don't think any one is devoid of Philosophy. Nature abhors a vacuum after all. It's just actually how you look at the world and how you define your role (or the lack thereof) in it. So yeah. Just my two cents.
実存は本質に先立つ。

matt

Post by matt »

iKichigai wrote:
matt wrote:no one is really talking about philosophy.

Every field of study we have today we owe it all to Philosophy.
So no Philosophy = no internets (amirite?)

But fo' srs, in a staggeringly vapid universe where everything is taken at face value, I guess it just makes life a lot less mundane. Besides, it's aesthetically pleasing. While some would argue that it's just a vanity field, it's actually quite helpful in so many ways to gain rational (or remotely close to it) understanding of the world (logic, the scientific method, ethics, etc). I don't think any one is devoid of Philosophy. Nature abhors a vacuum after all. It's just actually how you look at the world and how you define your role (or the lack thereof) in it. So yeah. Just my two cents.

but what have you actually gained from it? did you read something that changed your life or your way of thinking?

i cant outright say its stupid since i do not read or care about it but from what i understand, it is all common sense. there is so little that people can understand about time and reality that it is pointless to try from a "philosophy" standpoint anymore.

i can understand its value centuries ago when people were moving from primitive animals to what we are now but there is not really anywhere else to go with it. the knowledge gained is widespread and either people are going to come to a conclusion themselves, they are going to learn from it or they are going to ignore it.

id really love to hear a story someone has about how it has changed their way of thinking.