trendy 'hardcore' boys

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

Karst

Re: trendy 'hardcore' boys

Post by Karst »

trent_pee wrote:smoke more weed, turtle

art

Post by art »

I mean that it is easy to talk shit about some european countries. And I aslo think that Romania sucks, but emulation of USA? That's stupid reason. Just tell me why do you think that Romania or any other country rips American 90s culture? Now it's just an empty statement.

ryanatwood

Post by ryanatwood »

art wrote:I mean that it is easy to talk shit about some european countries. And I aslo think that Romania sucks, but emulation of USA? That's stupid reason. Just tell me why do you think that Romania or any other country rips American 90s culture? Now it's just an empty statement.
SPeaking as a Scottish guy, there is bare US emulation in the UK. Its not so bad in Europe. Lots of places there escape it, which is nice.
smoke weed everday

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

art wrote:I mean that it is easy to talk shit about some european countries. And I aslo think that Romania sucks, but emulation of USA? That's stupid reason. Just tell me why do you think that Romania or any other country rips American 90s culture? Now it's just an empty statement.
I take it your English isn't very good. I still have no idea what you're talking about or how communism fits into this. None of this is "talking shit" either.

Let me put it this way; can you name any popular music in the world that isn't inherently American? Not some sort of indigenous cultural relic, but an actual mass form of music. Or film, or television, or style of dress, or anything really.

What Mulder is describing in this thread is a perfect example. It's some straight out of Jean Baudrillard/Fredric Jameson/Henry Jenkins nostalgia-without-history postmodernism. You have no popular culture of your own, so you have constructed this simulacra of American culture in a sort of goofy and out of date way. This happens internally as well. For example how non-black minorities in America will appropriate hip-hop culture.

I'm really quite uncertain how anyone can argue against this.

ryanatwood

Post by ryanatwood »

Pete > You wrote:
I take it your English isn't very good. I still have no idea what you're talking about or how communism fits into this. None of this is "talking shit" either.

Let me put it this way; can you name any popular music in the world that isn't inherently American? Not some sort of indigenous cultural relic, but an actual mass form of music. Or film, or television, or style of dress, or anything really.

Folk music isn't inherently american.
Black Sabbath are English and thus every band in the world isn't inherently American. (edit: for dicks, Black Sabbath self titled lp is in my opinion one of the most influential lps of all time, if not THE most. Every band influenced by that, you could argue, is living off a backwash off English cultural output).
Hardcore evolved fae UK & Euro punk. Could argue hc is Euro backwash too.
smoke weed everday

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

Folk music isn't a genre in the real sense of the therm, it's an umbrella term for all sorts of music. None of which are "mass", so it doesn't matter. Don't get me wrong, plenty of non-American/non-Western music exists in the world, but none of it is part of popular culture.

As for everything else, Black Sabbath was just an offshoot of existing blues music (inherently American). I don't think you get it, almost the entirety of electric guitar music is American. Simply because they weren't American changes nothing.

Hardcore clearly evolved in America first (some argument can be made for Japan, actually). Either way, the legacy can be traced to American guitar-based music, so again, not really a point.

This is not to say that certain evolutions and styles aren't originated outside of America, but quite simply the entire framework is American. Think of telenovelas. Latin American in origin, and clearly it's own genre, but essentially just a soap opera, which is American.

art

Post by art »

Pete > You wrote:

What Mulder is describing in this thread is a perfect example. It's some straight out of Jean Baudrillard/Fredric Jameson/Henry Jenkins nostalgia-without-history postmodernism. You have no popular culture of your own, so you have constructed this simulacra of American culture in a sort of goofy and out of date way. This happens internally as well. For example how non-black minorities in America will appropriate hip-hop culture.

I can agree with this now. Maybe, as I mentioned communism you misunderstood me. Since 20th century all stuff connected with culture and how it is "developed" strongly depends on money. My point is that in eastern Europe and Balkans communism destroyed the economy so the countries became poor. I could write a lot about european history here but it seems unnecessary. USA were just rich enough to set the standards in pop culture and it's still a dreamland for a lot of people. I can't fully agree with one thing, I wouldn't call all of the ideas - american. Culture "developement" happened in USA but "developers" were not necessary from USA.

And yes, my English isn't as good as it used to be during high school.

brianutatx

Post by brianutatx »

art wrote:
Pete > You wrote:

I can agree with this now. Maybe, as I mentioned communism you misunderstood me. Since 20th century all stuff connected with culture and how it is "developed" strongly depends on money. My point is that in eastern Europe and Balkans communism destroyed the economy so the countries became poor. I could write a lot about european history here but it seems unnecessary. USA were just rich enough to set the standards in pop culture and it's still a dreamland for a lot of people. I can't fully agree with one thing, I wouldn't call all of the ideas - american. Culture "developement" happened in USA but "developers" were not necessary from USA.

And yes, my English isn't as good as it used to be during high school.
Plenty of cultural development has happened under communist regimes. One of my favorite movies is Daisies, which was made in Prague in 1966, One of my favorite writers, Bohumil Hrabal lived under Communism for much of his life. Jan Švankmajer is well known for his movie "Alice" which was based on the British novel "Alice In Wonderland", this film was made during the communist era as well.

Just because a country was behind the Iron curtain didn't mean cultural development stopped. If anything I would say some interesting things happened culturally in communist countries because of how poor the people were. The trade of samizdat during the communist era is a cultural phenomenon of it's own that was a direct result of communist oppression, not to mention roentgenizdat ( X-Ray Records) that circulated in communist Russia. These are cultural artifacts that are intriguing and would have never existed in the USA or the UK.

xmoonxhowlerx

Post by xmoonxhowlerx »

Abel wrote:Luxembourg? They have highest GDP in Europe, how are they considered a shit stain?
Watch some Zeitgeist dewd.

ryanatwood

Post by ryanatwood »

Pete > You wrote:Folk music isn't a genre in the real sense of the therm, it's an umbrella term for all sorts of music. None of which are "mass", so it doesn't matter. Don't get me wrong, plenty of non-American/non-Western music exists in the world, but none of it is part of popular culture.

As for everything else, Black Sabbath was just an offshoot of existing blues music (inherently American). I don't think you get it, almost the entirety of electric guitar music is American. Simply because they weren't American changes nothing.

Hardcore clearly evolved in America first (some argument can be made for Japan, actually). Either way, the legacy can be traced to American guitar-based music, so again, not really a point.

This is not to say that certain evolutions and styles aren't originated outside of America, but quite simply the entire framework is American. Think of telenovelas. Latin American in origin, and clearly it's own genre, but essentially just a soap opera, which is American.
so the genre is 'guitar music'? You need to decide if you're talking about genres or just music in general then, eh?
smoke weed everday