Touche Amore

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

Erkel Takes The Bear

Re: Touche Amore

Post by Erkel Takes The Bear »

xdylanx wrote:
jcamps wrote:
AlecEberhardt wrote:alien looking lead singer
That is seriously him in 25-30 years

Jakey LIAF

Post by Jakey LIAF »

AlecEberhardt wrote:This band sounds like a lot of the bands my peers are in. Keep in mind my peers are 16-19. The guy who writes the lyrics in Touche Amore is 28.
i really don't see what age has to do with anything, unless you become infected with elitist ass syndrome as you get older. i'm 28 and i love these guys and a lot of stuff that younger kids seem to be into (more than life, defeater, etc.)
thebigmin wrote:with a skull split economy like we have right now, this is inevitable

Bentwreck

Post by Bentwreck »

Defeater are fucking awesome!
Gnarlin Gnartree wrote:Will Killingsworth and Jayson Green traveled to France and brought Screamo back with them. It was being oppressed by the French government.

brianutatx

Post by brianutatx »

Jakey LIAF wrote:
AlecEberhardt wrote:This band sounds like a lot of the bands my peers are in. Keep in mind my peers are 16-19. The guy who writes the lyrics in Touche Amore is 28.
i really don't see what age has to do with anything, unless you become infected with elitist ass syndrome as you get older. i'm 28 and i love these guys and a lot of stuff that younger kids seem to be into (more than life, defeater, etc.)
I agree with Alec 100%. it's not a matter of elitism it's a matter of maturity. I'm not saying you shouldn't like Touche Amore but you must admit the lyrics are immature or at least striving to seem immature, and accomplish that goal. I honestly can't tell whether it's the former or the later. I actually kinda liked Touche Amore when I first heard them a few years ago until I read the lyrics and discovered that they were similar to what 15 year olds write in poetry class, is was simply just something I couldn't identify with. However I can see the motivation of trying to sound immature so teenagers can identify with the lyrics and as a result Touche Amore sells more records and tickets to shows.

Jakey LIAF

Post by Jakey LIAF »

brianutatx wrote:
Jakey LIAF wrote:
I agree with Alec 100%. it's not a matter of elitism it's a matter of maturity. I'm not saying you shouldn't like Touche Amore but you must admit the lyrics are immature or at least striving to seem immature, and accomplish that goal. I honestly can't tell whether it's the former or the later. I actually kinda liked Touche Amore when I first heard them a few years ago until I read the lyrics and discovered that they were similar to what 15 year olds write in poetry class, is was simply just something I couldn't identify with. However I can see the motivation of trying to sound immature so teenagers can identify with the lyrics and as a result Touche Amore sells more records and tickets to shows.
admittedly, i haven't paid much attention to touche amore's lyrics, but being "similar to what 15 year olds write in poetry class" is a summation of a lot of what people listen to on this very board. and a lot of times the lack of real "depth" in lyrics are appropriate. read: spirit of versailles, kite flying society, you and i, saddest landscape, etc.

then again, i'm not as overly critical of a band's lyrical content as i am the sound...partially because i've been there as a writer and, looking back, think a lot of my lyrics were pretty dumb. no writer in hardcore or punk is going to be all that thought-provoking, though.

i still listen to a lot of bands that have "waah waaah heartbreak!" content, and while i don't tend to get as emotionally upset as i used to a decade ago about girls, it's still at least relatable to a time period/experience i went through.

apples to apples, but still a good discussion.
thebigmin wrote:with a skull split economy like we have right now, this is inevitable

AlecEberhardt

Post by AlecEberhardt »

Jakey LIAF wrote: i really don't see what age has to do with anything, unless you become infected with elitist ass syndrome as you get older. i'm 28 and i love these guys and a lot of stuff that younger kids seem to be into (more than life, defeater, etc.)
Yeah I hear ya. What bothers me about Touche Amore's lyrics isn't that they're lame, whiney, overly emotional, etc. I just hate how he tries to be clever. I mean, that line "I'm looking to Morrissey..." kind of did it for me. It's clever, but its not good lyricism, or even appropriate lyricism. The first few lines in Cadence are pretty stupid too, and the "destroyer/destroy her" line in Suckerfish made me gag. Don't even get me started on Hipsterectomy.

You're definitely right, that lyrics can come secondary if the music is great (i.e. Loma Prieta). What I think makes Touche Amore's lyrics unbearable is the way he sings them, with that whole tough guy brovado. It accentuates how bad they are. If they were screamed over much noisier instrumentals, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Not really the case here.
Last edited by AlecEberhardt on Thu May 19, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonyxvx

Post by tonyxvx »

Good guys, okay music, shit fans.

The lyrics really aren't worth discussing, especially not from the new album. "My name is Jeremy and I'm a manbaby that would rather tour than be at home." That sums it up. He's cool and all, but the lyrics are reeeally whiny and nothing special. No idea how b9 fanboys think they are "deep".

Am I the only who thinks if we fused The Wave together into one band, it might be good?

xdylanx

Post by xdylanx »

For me, the lyrics are hit or miss. Sometimes when he tries to be clever, it works and it comes out as a really catchy line that's fun to sing along to, like the end of Honest Sleep, but sometimes it just doesn't work at all. I hope they have the new record with them tonight.

buckytoole

Post by buckytoole »

Bentwreck wrote:Defeater are fucking awesome!
backed hard.
Jakey LIAF wrote: and a lot of times the lack of real "depth" in lyrics are appropriate. read: spirit of versailles, kite flying society, you and i, saddest landscape, etc.
spirit of versailles wrote the best lyrics, at least i felt they spoke deeply, though i suppose they could be thought of as "simple" in a sense, they seemed to convey it all in just the right way... just love for them. appresh for all really.

havent really checked out TA yet, but they seem "popular"? whatevs. they'll never be as good as CTTS

Karst

Post by Karst »

buckytoole wrote:they'll never be as good as CTTS