Band Names That Annoy You

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

brianutatx

Band Names That Annoy You

Post by brianutatx »

BROOTALPOODLE wrote:
AlecEberhardt wrote:He meant MNWA, aka Miischa aka мища from Hagerstown, Maryland.
okay i kind of figured that. i've never heard of any mnca from north carolina. i wish мища was from here!
I decided to start a thread about this based on this quote above me. So here are a couple of pet peeves of mine that concern band names.

1. If you live in a country that uses a Latin alphabet use the Latin alphabet when choosing your name. Why would a band from Maryland use the Cyrillic alphabet. I'm not certain on this but I don't think any of the members of мища speak Russian or any other language that uses a Cyrillic alphabet. Even if they did I still wouldn't be okay with this because every major language that is spoken in Maryland uses a Latin alphabet.

2. Naming a band using another language other than the language that you speak in that region. For instance in Texas Spanish and English are mainly used so I would be okay with bands using either of these languages to choose a band name. In Montreal most people speak French and English so either one of those languages would be okay to use for choosing a band name if you lived in that region. Yes I speak some Czech but I'm not gonna be a dick and name my band Zmrzlina because I happen to like consonant clusters and that word means ice cream which I also happen to like. No one will ever pronounce it correctly and everyone ends up looking like an ass hat in the process.

3. Bands that have band names like this "the world is a beautiful place and i am no longer afraid to die", what the fuck! M.D.C. (Millions of Dead Cops) and D.R.I. (Dirty Rotten Imbeciles) thought their band names were too long so they used acronyms but you're gonna choose a band name that has 15 syllables. I'm pretty bummed if your band has more that 4 or 5 syllables. Hey whats up I'm glad you cam out to check out my band, we're called "I'm about to have a nervous breakdown my head really hurts if I don't find a way out of here I'm gonna go berserk cause I'm crazy and I'm hurt head on my shoulders it's going... berserk!"

Please add some things that bands do that annoy you a bit when it comes to band names. Also, I wanna add on a positive note some band names that I think are genious:
Pizza Hi Five
Power Cup
Folded Shirt
Last edited by brianutatx on Tue May 24, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BROOTALPOODLE

Re: Band Names That Annoy You

Post by BROOTALPOODLE »

as much as mnwa rules, i hate the band name. i used to be in a band called enuresis. if you don't know what it means look it up
“I just want to change the way people look at music or maybe just destroy it in general.” -Justin Pearson

xdylanx

Post by xdylanx »

Someone on The B9 posted about his band called Could Care Less. :x
S because its impossible to search for.

rightskewed

Post by rightskewed »

i wrote haikus about cannibalism in your yearbook has always pissed me off to no end, probably because i actually like the band.

on the other side of things, corn on macabre is the best band name ever.
i have nothing to complain about, but i know i'll still complain.

shivraway

Post by shivraway »

Any band that spells their name likethisorwithoutspacesorproperpunctuation

xdylanx

Post by xdylanx »

Judges because that's like naming your band Black Flags.

Abel

Post by Abel »

pg99, best band name ever YES.

buckytoole

Post by buckytoole »

xdylanx wrote: S because its impossible to search for.
any band name that isn't unique enough that it makes it hard to look up.

a band name like 3, or Three, or whatever it is, is just stupid...

it's just annoying to have to qualify "+ band" to any search

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

shivraway wrote:Any band that spells their name likethisorwithoutspacesorproperpunctuation
Fucking this, I hate bands who do this. If I have to squint to read your band name, I'm not going to because I don't give enough of a fuck. I guess the only exception I'd make is for twodeadsluts onegoodfuck, but they at least had the decency to put a space in there.

1. Any band whose name is either a complete sentence or sentence fragment that has a grammatical error in it, intentional or otherwise. This is especially true if your subject/verb agreement is off.

2. Most post-rock band names. To me they just look like failed nu-metal band names. The Lymbyyc Systyymyy is a good example of this.

3. Anything misleading. If your band is named anything super-dramatic, you better come correct with it and not be some lame nonsense (I Would Set Myself On Fire For You or Planes Mistaken For Stars), if it sounds like you're going to rock, then fucking fuck, ect. Don't tease me.

I disagree with Brian though, I like really long and ridiculous band names, especially ones that are difficult to make into acronyms. Here are some I enjoy:

They Found My Naked Corpse Face Down in the Snow
This Ain't a Goddamn Field Trip People this is Fucking War (aka The Kingdom of Heaven Must Be Taken By Storm)
x Vincent Price's Orphan Powered Death Machine x
The Worst Five Minutes of Your Life
Choke Their Rivers With Our Dead
Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus

Here are some others I like for other reasons:

Assfactor 4
These Arms Are Snakes
This Ship Will Sink
Her Breath on Glass (over the top dramatic name and lives up to it)
The Jenny Piccolo
JR Ewing
Das Oath (but not The Oath)
Mammoth Grinder
The Bronx

Bands named after baseball players with unusual names are pretty good too.

rightskewed

Post by rightskewed »

Pete > You wrote: Assfactor 4
yes.

i also hate it when bands change their name to really similar names a whole bunch. see: a silver mt. zion and acid mothers temple.
i have nothing to complain about, but i know i'll still complain.