Last.fm accounts

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

brianutatx

Re: Last.fm accounts

Post by brianutatx »

lastcity

Post by lastcity »

http://www.last.fm/user/lastcity

lots of grungemo lately. get over it.

kevin

Post by kevin »

first thing that comes to mind when i hear "grungemo" is 90s emo... not so much that pop punk crap like empire empire, joie de vivre or whatever

empire empire is one of the worst bands i've seen in my life

brianutatx

Post by brianutatx »

kevin wrote:first thing that comes to mind when i hear "grungemo" is 90s emo... not so much that pop punk crap like empire empire, joie de vivre or whatever
I think lastcity was saying grungemo in reference to the first song on his list of music he recently listened to "Nirvana" by the sceamo band Raein. I'm hoping Jordan is clever like that and doesn't think joie de vivre and empire empire style pop music is grunge emo.

Lets all make a vow in 2011 to stop calling midwest style pop-punk and math-pop / twinkle daddy music emo. Cause like I'm tired of dudes being like oh check out this emo band and I'm expecting it to sound like Moss Icon or Hoover but instead it sounds like a Promise Ring knock off. For the sake of time lets just call that cold-pop or something clever like that. That way I know if I should check it out or not.

pete == bellend

Post by pete == bellend »

in all fairness e! e! just sounds like a (good) Mineral rip off.

but what irks me is whenever I make a thread about emo somewhere and people post their stupid fucking "chex out my band!!! FFO: Knapsack & The Promise Ring & Braid" bands. piss poor watered down alternative rock.

I'd rather put on Traluma, thank you.

brianutatx

Post by brianutatx »

pete == bellend wrote:
but what irks me is whenever I make a thread about emo somewhere and people post their stupid fucking "chex out my band!!! FFO: Knapsack & The Promise Ring & Braid" bands. piss poor watered down alternative rock.

I'd rather put on Traluma, thank you.
I'd rather listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbYtqAWDF2U

lastcity

Post by lastcity »

brianutatx wrote:Cause like I'm tired of dudes being like oh check out this emo band and I'm expecting it to sound like Moss Icon or Hoover but instead it sounds like a Promise Ring knock off.
I was actually making fun of Summons... even though they don't fit in with the joking term of grungemo. That was a bad joke. So forget what I said, I was referring to Raein.

If it's stuff that's a bit faster and has more strumming, I call it midwest (pop)-punk if its like Cap'n jazz, Braid, etc. Otherwise I call it twinkly emo, but I'm like Brian in that quote, I expect that Moss Icon/Hoover style emo if all you say is emo. If someone says twinkly emo I expect Christie Front Drive/Promise Ring. It's better than calling it pop imo. Especially to my mom when I'm setting up house shows and stuff. haha!

But it really doesnt matter because all these bands play together and have common influences/tastes in music so I'm exposed to all of this and I get enough of all of it. I could listen to the new Raein for half of the day then the new Empire Empire for the other half, then the next I could listen to Moss Icon, Mineral, and Orchid all day.

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

brianutatx wrote:Lets all make a vow in 2011 to stop calling midwest style pop-punk and math-pop / twinkle daddy music emo. Cause like I'm tired of dudes being like oh check out this emo band and I'm expecting it to sound like Moss Icon or Hoover but instead it sounds like a Promise Ring knock off. For the sake of time lets just call that cold-pop or something clever like that. That way I know if I should check it out or not.
I'm sure someone has said this at some point every year for the last, oh, 20 years or so. It's never going to happen, no matter how much you or I wish it would.

kevin

Post by kevin »

[quote="brianutatx"For the sake of time lets just call that cold-pop or something clever like that. That way I know if I should check it out or not.[/quote]
haha YESS

k. rotta

Post by k. rotta »

posting to endlessly defend joie de vivre. they rule and the gang vocals and noodling crowd they get lumped in with does not.