guitar nerds, give me some advice

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

lemyisgod

Re: guitar nerds, give me some advice

Post by lemyisgod »

Yeah "most" are pretty garbage doesn't mean the reissues are going to be. Silvertones were all made by different companies some of them are actually kind of decent but most are shit.

lemyisgod

Post by lemyisgod »

The changes they made from the flyer all look like its going to be a decent guitar. They Put in an actual adjustable bridge, Bigsby vibrato, Mahogany body (I think the originals were made from particle board), A better C neck shape. Better tuners and a couple of other things. Some of the cheaper guitars coming out of Indonesia have been pretty decent lately and if its not then only take a couple of mods to get it to being so.

alexanderwolf

Post by alexanderwolf »

How do you feel about semi hollows for heavy music?

dakota fanning

Post by dakota fanning »

hi guys and gals
i must first again thank those who previously helped me out in this thread, it was among the most helpful advices i've got regarding guitars and sound.
so i have been writting some songs on my guitar that i really like, but they are all in standard tuning and even though it works fine for me i just feel like i want to try some other, more abrasive and distorted tuning (if that even makes sense and is possible to write songs with..). so i have tried some different tunings previously like: major A, E, and F, one by nick drake (place to be/pink moon), and some others i can't remember. but they don't really suit me with my writting, especially the major-tunings, which doesn't give me enough variarety and it doesnt feel i can be super-creative with a tuning that mostly resembles that one chord.

so i thought i'd ask you people for some advice on cool tunings like that which i described earlier, or some other nice ones. and again i am a huge beau navire-fan and im not sure they use alot of different tunings, but if they do, and you guys know how the tuning goes, it would be cool if you could shed some lights on the matter so i could try them out, it would be swell.

lemyisgod

Post by lemyisgod »

Beau Navire play in Standard almost always. There might be like one song in Drop D. Playing a half step down can help with vocals cause your voice tends to go flat naturally. Its all about Octave and Dissonant chords in this kind of music you really dont need a tuning other then Standard.

lemyisgod

Post by lemyisgod »

and to answer the question above yours. I play a Rickenbacker 330 which is a semi hollow body and its fine for heavy music. It would be difficult to shred on because of the neck and frets. Its actually a really thick sounding guitar unlike what the popular opinion thinks.

dakota fanning

Post by dakota fanning »

lemyisgod wrote:Beau Navire play in Standard almost always. There might be like one song in Drop D. Playing a half step down can help with vocals cause your voice tends to go flat naturally. Its all about Octave and Dissonant chords in this kind of music you really dont need a tuning other then Standard.
alright! thanks for the update on that lemy. i have read about octave chords before, but never really got to it/understood how you're suppose to do. it does sound interesting though. dissonant chords are new to me, but it also sounds appealing to dig a little deeper into.

Romulus

Post by Romulus »

dakota fanning wrote:
lemyisgod wrote:Beau Navire play in Standard almost always. There might be like one song in Drop D. Playing a half step down can help with vocals cause your voice tends to go flat naturally. Its all about Octave and Dissonant chords in this kind of music you really dont need a tuning other then Standard.
alright! thanks for the update on that lemy. i have read about octave chords before, but never really got to it/understood how you're suppose to do. it does sound interesting though. dissonant chords are new to me, but it also sounds appealing to dig a little deeper into.

Octaves and minor second are pretty super common. It is hard to describe it in text, but you can achieve an octave chord by playing a "power chord" and removing the fifth out of it... So on the if you are playing say.... an E chord on the A string you would play the A string on the 7th fret and the G string on the 9th (If my head is thinking correctly.

I agree that standard tunings rule all.

klefmop

Post by klefmop »

octave chords are a big part in this genre. like the person above me said, its all about removing the fifth.

E-----------------------------
B-----------------------------
G-2---4---5---7---9--10--12
D-x---x---x---x---x---x---x
A-0---2---3---5---7---8--10
E-0---0---0---0---0---0---0

that's the scale most bands follow when it comes to octaves. most play in standard (except orchid which play a half step down)
learn to play the chords fast with lots of distortion. leave the bottom E open to get a fuller sound. it might take a while to be able to mute the D string but it will come in time.

I like to add dissonance by using the flat fifth in power chords too. try using that.

of course open chords work really well too. especially if you learn the scale that the saddest landscape uses. playing open chords all over the neck sound really cool.
dropped tuning with barre chords are really nice too.
Last edited by klefmop on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebigmin wrote:Screamo Will Never Die

-thebigmin

dez

Post by dez »

dropped tuning sucks, sounds way to metal
standard tuning and open chords, the way to go for a fuller, rounder and harmonic sound