WE ARE NOW ENTERING THE MODERN SKRAM ERA

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

Goatsego

Re: WE ARE NOW ENTERING THE MODERN SKRAM ERA

Post by Goatsego »

AlecEberhardt wrote:
Goatsego wrote:This thread needs more Sass stories.
I almost forgot about sass...
That would be a mistake! Should I convince my bandmates to just become sass revival?

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

Yes, but you've got to ease into that transition gradually. Don't just show up wearing pink and making out with each other to hi-hat shuffles. You've got to put out an album like Every Time I Die's "Hot Damn" first.

xdylanx

Post by xdylanx »

Pete > You wrote:Yes, but you've got to ease into that transition gradually. Don't just show up wearing pink and making out with each other to hi-hat shuffles. You've got to put out an album like Every Time I Die's "Hot Damn" first.
Or Fear Before The March of Flames

Goatsego

Post by Goatsego »

Ok. Ok, I'll try. It's kind of southerny right now so the transition should be simple.

Anisette

Post by Anisette »

omartakesthesquare wrote:no fascination with metalcore this time? deal?

CitizenOfUlysses

Post by CitizenOfUlysses »

Last edited by CitizenOfUlysses on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil

Post by Phil »

I was trying to find a hypothetical "ground zero" for the beginning of sass. In terms of a modern sense I came up with The Nation of Ulysses. Although I was thinking the New York Dolls had the drag queen-esque aesthetic down, mixed with punk music in the early 70's. It's also pretty obvious that TNoU were influenced by NYD ("When I say I'm in love you best believe I'm in love L-U-V").

Am I over thinking it/Would you guys agree?
brianutatx wrote:You are just a wiener rock apologist. Down with wiener rock occupation and down with Topshelf!

E.C

Post by E.C »

CRITICAL SASS RIDE BIKES

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

Phil wrote:I was trying to find a hypothetical "ground zero" for the beginning of sass. In terms of a modern sense I came up with The Nation of Ulysses. Although I was thinking the New York Dolls had the drag queen-esque aesthetic down, mixed with punk music in the early 70's. It's also pretty obvious that TNoU were influenced by NYD ("When I say I'm in love you best believe I'm in love L-U-V").

Am I over thinking it/Would you guys agree?
You're over thinking this, but I would agree that NoU had certain esthetic qualities and maybe the first draft of some blueprints that lead to what we saw in the brief period that was the "sass era". However, I'd call them proto-sass at best. I'm sorry, I couldn't type that last sentence without smirking at how ridiculous it was.

Anyway, the real question here is that if you're going to credit NoU with some of this, why did it take the better part of a decade to see it pop up again?

The genesis of this is a really hard thing to pin down, as it probably is with most subgenres. My own personal take was that it was social more than anything. In the late 90s, hardcore (screamo, whatever you want to call it) got a little more adventurous and started to reach a different audience that normally wouldn't be into hardcore, generally the types of people who comprised the very first wave of hipsters, before that become a dirty term (these were actually cool people). They took it and threw in their own femme arthouse stuff and what we got was sass.

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

Though I disliked this band at the time, this kind of stuff you just don't see anymore.