Brits, tell me about Coventry

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

Hanky Pym

Re: Brits, tell me about Coventry

Post by Hanky Pym »

nawww

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

Thanks for the eventual real answer, but I've got some disagreements:
Hanky Pym wrote: There's a whole mess of political and sociological reasons behind what went on and I guess for a lot of people it was pretty scary but its nothing on par with what happens in some third world/developing countries or comparable with what I perceive gun crime in America to be like. I just think we need less people who refer to others as "filthy, third-world moon-god worshiping subhumans", as it was that's kind of divisive way of looking at things that leads to things like riots anyway. That's the reality of it, I'm not about to start hating minorities because of what happened.
You ever been to a third world country? Are your perceptions of gun crime in America based on action movies or something?

Seriously though, you just said that saying "divisive" things leads to riots. Which is not only absurd, but also implies that you agree with me that they're sub-human in that they can't act as reasonable human beings or control their emotions and can only act on impulse or like a hurricane. Just a natural disaster beyond the control of any human.
Hanky Pym wrote: Without passing any kind of judgement either, if you don't tend to like minority groups for whatever reason, you're best not moving to the UK at all. Its a pretty multicultural place, you'd be surrounded by us in some places.
I don't hate all minority groups. Just that ones that openly act towards my existential and physical extermination, and the extermination of the greater cultural background I'm a part of.

They still make people who say "multiculturalism" and take it seriously? That's some depths of delusion that can really be plumbed for gold.

Hanky Pym

Post by Hanky Pym »

I don't hate all minority groups. Just that ones that openly act towards my existential and physical extermination, and the extermination of the greater cultural background I'm a part of.

They still make people who say "multiculturalism" and take it seriously? That's some depths of delusion that can really be plumbed for gold.
All that stuff just sounds like the kind of rhetoric I'd read somewhere like Stormfront or the comments on a particularly bad youtube video. I respect your right to an opinion, but judging from you've just said you come across as exactly the type of person I'd rather didn't exist anymore.

Its clear that we have very different views on whatever it is we're talking about. From what you've said my advice to you is that you probably wouldn't enjoy life at a university in England. And if you think what happened in during the London Riots was on par with what's currently happening in third world and developing countries more and more each day then you're the one who's deluded.

Its not so much saying divisive things that lead to the rioting, more so divisions in terms of class and wealth that have been brewing in this country for years, divisions that can be perpetuated and worsened by saying thing and came to a head when a criminal was unlawfully shot and killed. Everyone who rioted was certainly in control of their actions, and of course the more things escalated the less it became a politically motivated action and more an act of violence, opportunism and criminality - but still the roots of all that are more complicated than a certain race of people being inherently opposed to "the greater cultural background" that you and people like you are a part of.

tl;dr - I dunno man you sound kinda like a massive bigot, exactly the kind of person this country doesn't need and who'd be better off in a place where views like his were commonly accepted and not automatically challenged.

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

Hanky Pym wrote: All that stuff just sounds like the kind of rhetoric I'd read somewhere like Stormfront or the comments on a particularly bad youtube video. I respect your right to an opinion, but judging from you've just said you come across as exactly the type of person I'd rather didn't exist anymore.
Thanks for addressing those things I said instead of just attempting to characterize me. Oh, wait. Bonus points for the "You can say what you want, but please die for saying it" thing. Very progressive.
Hanky Pym wrote: And if you think what happened in during the London Riots was on par with what's currently happening in third world and developing countries more and more each day then you're the one who's deluded.
Okay. So have you? What are you basing this on?
Hanky Pym wrote: "the greater cultural background" that you and people like you are a part of.
Why is this in quotes?
Hanky Pym wrote: tl;dr - I dunno man you sound kinda like a massive bigot, exactly the kind of person this country doesn't need
Okay, I confess. Everything I just said and believe is actually a religious obligation on me, so it's all cool. I expect my passport and entitlements within a week.
Hanky Pym wrote: and who'd be better off in a place where views like his were commonly accepted and not automatically challenged.
Where would this be?

relaxiwontpost

Post by relaxiwontpost »

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

Pete > You wrote:

Hanky Pym

Post by Hanky Pym »

Thanks for addressing those things I said instead of just attempting to characterize me. Oh, wait. Bonus points for the "You can say what you want, but please die for saying it" thing. Very progressive.
Yeah, I guess that was a bit snide of me wasn't it? Its your views I dislike, not you. Though I did address at least some the things you said, whereas you've just quoted random things I've said and asked me questions about them.
Okay. So have you? What are you basing this on?
I've never been to a third world country or a developing one, but judging from what I've seen on the news, in documentaries, read in news papers and been taught about uprisings and political strife in other countries and comparing it with what happened in London and some other parts of Britain during the riots I can safely say that we had it preeeeety fuckin' easy.

Why is this in quotes?
Because I'm quoting you, Pete.

Okay, I confess. Everything I just said and believe is actually a religious obligation on me, so it's all cool. I expect my passport and entitlements within a week.
At what point did I say or imply that I thought bigotry was okay if there was a religious belief behind it? Don't be that
guy dude.
Where would this be?
I'm not sure, but I hope you find it and gain happiness there. We have enough National Front, British National Party and English Defense league types here without adding more hateful ignorance to the mix. Though I really doubt anything I say will affect your decision to come to this country or not.

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

Hanky Pym wrote: Yeah, I guess that was a bit snide of me wasn't it? Its your views I dislike, not you. Though I did address at least some the things you said, whereas you've just quoted random things I've said and asked me questions about them.
Well, you've answered some questions, yes, but you've really not addressed the meat of the matter. I'm asking you these questions because I'm trying to get to your root principles. I'd say that's pretty standard for a conversation. Why was this needed to be pointed out, or, rather, why did you?
Hanky Pym wrote: I've never been to a third world country or a developing one, but judging from what I've seen on the news, in documentaries, read in news papers and been taught about uprisings and political strife in other countries and comparing it with what happened in London and some other parts of Britain during the riots I can safely say that we had it preeeeety fuckin' easy.
For sure there are places that have it much worse, and I won't even address that you're getting this information second (third, fourth, fifth, ect.) hand any further, but this string of questions was really initiated because I wanted to point out that these are local incidents, and not really indicative of anything universal in third world countries. I'd go so far to say that in my travels, most impoverished countries are, by and large, full of peaceful, kind, and loving people just trying to do the best they can to get by. You just took this one in the wrong direction.

Hanky Pym wrote: Because I'm quoting you, Pete.
Oh come on now.
Hanky Pym wrote: At what point did I say or imply that I thought bigotry was okay if there was a religious belief behind it? Don't be that
guy dude.
Yes, actually you did imply this very thing. That's what this whole back-and-forth is about.
Hanky Pym wrote: I'm not sure, but I hope you find it and gain happiness there. We have enough National Front, British National Party and English Defense league types here without adding more hateful ignorance to the mix. Though I really doubt anything I say will affect your decision to come to this country or not.
Thank you, and I hope so too. I know it isn't the UK, given who you (and a great many of the people who think like you) identify as the "bad people" in this part of your post, and why they are "bad". It'll only be for a year anyway, so you'll be rid of me and continue right on down the road to hell, though I doubt my presence would slow or stop that anyway.

Hanky Pym

Post by Hanky Pym »

Well, you've answered some questions, yes, but you've really not addressed the meat of the matter. I'm asking you these questions because I'm trying to get to your root principles.
What in particular would you like to know about my principles?

For sure there are places that have it much worse, and I won't even address that you're getting this information second (third, fourth, fifth, ect.) hand any further, but this string of questions was really initiated because I wanted to point out that these are local incidents, and not really indicative of anything universal in third world countries. I'd go so far to say that in my travels, most impoverished countries are, by and large, full of peaceful, kind, and loving people just trying to do the best they can to get by. You just took this one in the wrong direction.
I'm not saying what happens in these places as it appears on television etc are universally representative of life in those places period. Just that the riots that took place in Britain don't compare to other similar situations that have happened and continue to happen in other, much worse off countries. In your first post you said something about how somewhere near me was probably most likely still burning, and now you're trying to make me out to be the misinformed one.

Oh come on now.
Come on nothing.

Yes, actually you did imply this very thing. That's what this whole back-and-forth is about.
At which point? how could I imply something I simply don't believe.

Thank you, and I hope so too. I know it isn't the UK, given who you (and a great many of the people who think like you) identify as the "bad people" in this part of your post, and why they are "bad". It'll only be for a year anyway, so you'll be rid of me and continue right on down the road to hell, though I doubt my presence would slow or stop that anyway.
They're bad because they're bigots, they're bad because outside of limiting the rights of anyone who isn't a white, straight male they have barely any political policies at all, this country would be so much worse off if any of them had a say in how it is run. They're bad because all they want to do is take steps backwards. I'm not on a route to hell because I hold the belief that people are created equal and should be treated as thus. I'm not on the road to hell because I think multiculturalism has more benefits and positives to it than negatives and I'm not on the road to hell because I don't hold male, white, anglo-saxon culture on a pedestal above other cultures.

What is good about any of those groups/political parties? How could they benefit a place like the UK?

If you've anything you want to ask me, ask me the question outright instead of quoting me.

Charon

Post by Charon »

Word just in: the internet sucks.