Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

iKichigai

Re: Philosophy

Post by iKichigai »

matt wrote:thanks for the feedback. no offense and props if it helped you but it just seems odd to want to talk about this stuff or be "into it". its kind of like using training wheels to learn how to ride a bike and then wanting to talk about how cool it was/is to use training wheels X years after the fact.

it just seems very odd that the idea of being able to do anything you want to whether people tell you this or not is a hard one to come to.
It's fun.
実存は本質に先立つ。
http://www.myspace.com/caitlynbailey

CitizenOfUlysses

Post by CitizenOfUlysses »

Last edited by CitizenOfUlysses on Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

matt

Post by matt »

i think, if youre into the stuff, a different direction with more info (a better one imo) would be to read up on science involving the greater universe as opposed to just humans. to me, that kind of stuff will open your mind much wider than training your thoughts on something so insignificant such as how humans feel or behave.

as far as majoring in the subject, i dont have specific knowledge on it or what you can do with it but - especially now (omg teh economies) - you need to get a piece of paper that really does mean something to peopel who will want to hire you. it is hard enough now to find a job with an actual relevant degree.

i planned on being and am a graphic designer but i didnt even think twice about NOT majoring in something art related. thats a dead end degree. i majored in advertising which is linked to design but has a much much broader range if the design aspect did not or does not pan out in the future.

i have a friend who majored in theatre and they manage a coffee shop, one who majored in childrens education that owns a cleaning business (a glorified maid) and one who majored in japanese language that works in a pet shelter.

iKichigai

Post by iKichigai »

Well, I do my own research on both, while that approach might be universally relevant, I don't think it's fair to just write humanity off as insignificant. It's our business to understand ourselves after all.

Tell me about it, my being multilingual is much more relevant in my current job than my actual degree. I majored in Psychology but I became a language teacher instead just because it's relatively easier to save up funds with this job. I'm saving up so I can send myself to graduate school (avoiding evil student loans at all cost) since I really wanna practice Clinical Psychology. Not that I don't like my job, it's really fun but I can't see myself doing this my entire life, you know. It's just weird that back in college I have never even thought of becoming a teacher (even in a university) AT ALL, let alone teach little kids and tweens. It just happened so fast. But now that I'm getting the hang of it, it kinda feels awesome to be called "sensei" (sounds important) though. :lol:
実存は本質に先立つ。
http://www.myspace.com/caitlynbailey

CitizenOfUlysses

Post by CitizenOfUlysses »

Last edited by CitizenOfUlysses on Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

grind/bro

Post by grind/bro »

I personally hate most metaphysical philosophy. I realize it's importance, but there's too much fluff and irrelevant debate for me. I like political/social philosophy because, you know, it actually adresses real things. I don't give a fat fuck about whether or not god exists, or free will. Seriously there are more important things to debate.

buckytoole

Post by buckytoole »

Grab a kleenex for this one...cause There's no God and your idiotic human ideals are laughable! AHahahaha! :twisted:

(kleenex via masturbation?) ;)

exactly/\\nothing

Post by exactly/\\nothing »

buckytoole wrote:Grab a kleenex for this one...cause There's no God and your idiotic human ideals are laughable! AHahahaha! :twisted:

this isn't hipsterrunoff ya fggt..

buckytoole

Post by buckytoole »

exactly/\nothing wrote:
buckytoole wrote:Grab a kleenex for this one...cause There's no God and your idiotic human ideals are laughable! AHahahaha! :twisted:

is there an applause emoticon for your astute observational skills?

exactly/\\nothing

Post by exactly/\\nothing »

buckytoole wrote:
exactly/\nothing wrote:

is there an applause emoticon for your astute observational skills?
yes. :geek: