50 Best Screamo Songs (In my opinion)

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

Goatsego

Re: 50 Best Screamo Songs (In my opinion)

Post by Goatsego »

While we're on the subject of Anselmo, how do you guys feel about Arson Anthem?

Aldentron

Post by Aldentron »

i acknowledge that this thread has been fully de-railed from the original post, but why am i the only one disappointed that the list has no Off Minor?

also, this thread reeks of the seminole product of egotistical masturbation. you are all posting on an internet forum and are dissing each other for being "internet." screamo wasn't/isn't popular in my area, and there's only a select few individuals i know in person that keep themselves up to date on the scene. i have accepted the fact that the internet is pretty much the only way anybody hears about screamo. get over it.

-OR-

if you're mad about the internet's presence in this genre, why don't you QUIT SHITTING ALL OVER PEOPLE WITH SIMILAR INTERESTS and make some screamo zines and send them all over the world? or is your cmhwak post count the only thing that measures how "screamo" you are?

brianutatx

Post by brianutatx »

Off Minor is rad as hell.

Aldentron, I feel ya on what you said. You know Fort Worth has screamo shows pretty regularly right? Innards is from Fort Worth and they host screamo shows at 1919 Hemphill with touring screamo bands quite often.

Also if you're from Fort Worth you must also acknowledge PANTERA as being amazing, like any good Texan would.

neck_cannon

Post by neck_cannon »

The group hug already happened a few pages ago I think, man. < To Aldentron
BUT everyone is welcomed to hug along. The more the merrier.

Aldentron

Post by Aldentron »

yeah i book shows at 1919. tons of screamo bands come through, but almost all of the kids going are there for their friend's local bands. innards brings out a shit ton of people to most of their shows, but there's very little hype for the touring bands.
ps im the guy that bought that mako 7'' off of you at a for want of show, then forgot i bought it from you when i saw it on the table when chest pain came through.

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

Aldentron wrote:also, this thread reeks of the seminole product of egotistical masturbation. you are all posting on an internet forum and are dissing each other for being "internet." screamo wasn't/isn't popular in my area, and there's only a select few individuals i know in person that keep themselves up to date on the scene. i have accepted the fact that the internet is pretty much the only way anybody hears about screamo. get over it.

-OR-

if you're mad about the internet's presence in this genre, why don't you QUIT SHITTING ALL OVER PEOPLE WITH SIMILAR INTERESTS and make some screamo zines and send them all over the world? or is your cmhwak post count the only thing that measures how "screamo" you are?
I feel like I need to address this. I don't mean to carry on the previous arguments, so please believe me when I say you should not read any hostility into this. I'm only saying this because seemingly some people just do not fucking get it.

This has nothing to do with the internet, or learning about things on the internet, or anything else you or that other guy think this is about. This is about acting as if you have any idea what you are talking about when in fact it is evident you learned this 11th-hand. By all means, learn as much as you can however you can, just stop with this "something to prove" bullshit, especially when you're goddamn wrong.

Let's talk about your zines point. Just to get it out of the way, I am not advocating for a return to zines as the primary medium of hardcore, the internet has supplanted that, and largely for the good. Now that that's out of the way, my point is the medium is irrelevant here. I'm not being an elitist because I learned about hardcore before the internet (and if you re-read my posts and understand what I'm saying, I'm being pretty fucking far from elitist, period). You honestly think I'm saying that the medium through which I learned things puts me in a position above you because it is different than the one you used? It's not that at all. What I am saying is that relative to what I know and what my lived experience is, my knowledge is far greater in quantity and quality than yours, so I do not appreciate being lectured to by people who don't know what the hell they're talking about. I guess the only thing related to the internet here is the degree to which you can get your balls in an uproar about things. Before the internet, if someone was still learning things, they probably weren't talking out of their ass as much and with as much conviction to complete strangers in real life, and not getting as indignant if they were ever treated in any way they perceived to even be slightly insulting to them because of this.

For example, your assertion that there is no screamo "scene" where you live. What in God's name are you talking about? Maybe not now, because the salad days of screamo ended the better part of a decade ago and there are indeed very few bands still playing that style of hardcore, but prior to that it was everywhere. Literally coast to coast in America. When you said "in my area", I initially thought you were going to say something like southeast Asia, not goddamn Fort Worth, Texas. There were thousands of now anonymous bands in every corner of America (with the exceptions of Alaska and Hawaii) during that time. Anyone who toured during this time can attest to that.

Now does this mean that what I know or how long I've been doing this or any other "elite" thing you want to assign to me place me above you? No, not at all. Everyone has to start somewhere, and we all make mistakes, and we all sound like goddamn fools at some point, but that by no means excludes me from pointing those things out.

Can I say welcome to cmhwak, and that I hope you stick around and all that?

Aldentron

Post by Aldentron »

it seems like we're pretty much on the same page bro. maybe not about zines cause i'm in the process of making one right now, out of anger that facebook has stolen our social lives and identities. i never said anything about elitism, but in hindsight i did write that shit way late and have an itchy trigger finger on the innanet. i must have been reading too many XVX-related assholier than thou posts on tumblr and it seems to be getting to me.

if you know any ancient screamo bands of yester-year from DFW, please let me know about them. the only (old) ones i can think of are Meadowlark, Jubilee if that even counts, and Trifle Tower (speaking of, Giant's Rage totally deserves top 50 status.) i was in middle school at the time listening to trance and shit. didn't get into screamo until i saw kidcrash/l'antietam (i could venture to say Boxes by L'antietam is another top 50) play, and at that show i was expecting kidcrash to play a new ruins set, so my pre-freshman ears got fucked (in a good way)

SilverSaxby23

Post by SilverSaxby23 »

I have no desire to participate in this argument, but just wanted to agree Boxes by L'antietam is great. That song is the one that got me into em. Those first 10 songs or so off of Family are 10 of my favorite screamo songs from the 2000's. I can't believe you saw the L'antietam and Kidcrash tour, I would have been geeking out.

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

Oh, don't get me wrong, zines are fine, it's just that they've been superseded by the internet as the primary source. Doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't exist.

I am not edge anymore, and I was never vegan, and even when I was edge I never gave a shit if anyone else was and I partied all the goddamn time anyway.

As for the bands, well, like I said, they're now anonymous. Unless the band actually recorded anything, probably the only evidence that they actually existed will be a show flier or someone's personal recollection, so my advice would be to ask someone who was around then in Fort Worth, and even then they might not remember because of the lack of recordings. I can tell you I don't remember a good chunk of these bands that either passed through or were in New Brunswick when I was living there. They existed, but they're just sort of abstractions in your mind by this point.

AlecEberhardt

Post by AlecEberhardt »

Ugh. Barf.