making an internet music player/radio thing... check it out

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

kevin

Re: making an internet music player/radio thing... check it

Post by kevin »

relaxiwontpost wrote:I am trying to get you to understand that the way computer networks work is by uploading from a server to a client, which downloads. to "prevent downloading" means to not share files. what you are doing with your radio is uploading music, which people can download.

which in turn *will* cause legal trouble.
okay - find me a direct link to a youtube video or a song on turntable. do you think people will be able to upload a song, and send a link like http://www.musicplayer.com/song.mp3 to their friend? because that will definitely not work. have you heard of htaccess?

relaxiwontpost

Post by relaxiwontpost »

... I just realised I'm not a college professor. but you should go see one. or buy a book. because you don't understand computer networking at all.

kevin

Post by kevin »

lolz... okay dude, you win

now if you'll please gtfo of this thread, that would be great

VitiligoJackson

Post by VitiligoJackson »

relaxiwontpost wrote:... I just realised I'm not a college professor. but you should go see one. or buy a book. because you don't understand computer networking at all.
dude, i see kevin work his magic every day. dude knows the ins and outs of computers in most aspects. i trust his word way more than some internet troll.

you really need to stay true to your user name and quit positng.
CitizenOfUlysses wrote:
If vitiligojackson says it's good, it's almost def good.

k. rotta

Post by k. rotta »

i'm excited to see where this goes. it'd be really cool to have a large database of smaller bands to check out and upload to.

thievesguild

Post by thievesguild »

kevin have you named this badboy yet?

i wish cmhwak had something integrated like this... sorta like the vlv "chat" bullshit but instead of just a dialogue box it also has a pool of music that users can upload to- search through- and choose songs from- to add to a group playlist that everyone would jam to. no avatars... no dubstep turds...

so am i understanding this correctly that you would be able to access and play any song that has been uploaded by any registered user? are you gonna need a big ass server for this thing or does it all just exist in the cypher?
I'm self employed, my boss is a dick so I steal stuff.
http://albumbyalbum.blogspot.com/

kevin

Post by kevin »

thievesguild wrote:kevin have you named this badboy yet?
nope
thievesguild wrote:so am i understanding this correctly that you would be able to access and play any song that has been uploaded by any registered user?
nope, probably wouldn't be able to do that legally, but it would be ideal. thinking about setting up http://www.mndigital.com/ initially, and make "band pages" so bands can upload their own songs and mark whether or not they want them to be public
thievesguild wrote:are you gonna need a big ass server for this thing or does it all just exist in the cypher?
probably going to buy vps hosting from this french company: https://www.gandi.net/. and yeah, it will need to be huge eventually

---------
made a php wrapper file for the audio files, now instead of the website showing 1.ogg in the source, it says p.php?id=1. linking to files will be impossible when it's finished. sadly, implementing this broke the progress bar so i need to fix that.

rightskewed

Post by rightskewed »

ok ok ok

(a) nice job! seriously, this is pretty cool and i would totally use it when it's not hosted on your pc.

(b) as someone who get's paid to make computers do things, the argument in this thread is infuriating. relaxiwont's point (i think) isn't that you can't find a direct link on turntable or youtube, but rather that streaming a song from turntable or a video from youtube implies that you are downloading it. when i open some video on youtube, it get's downloaded temporarily to my computer where it then get played from. when i'm done watching the video or whatever, it get's automatically deleted. yes, you can help prevent the direct downloading of files to non-temporary locations by obfuscating them using PHP or some other scripting language, but it's fundamentally impossible to stream music and at the same time prevent that file from being downloaded at least temporarily to a users computer. even something super specialized and old school like realplayer just chunked up a song into a bunch of small pieces that you downloaded and played sequentially. IANAL, but i think the point was that even if you are just "streaming" music, you are still technically allowing people to download it (albeit for a short time) and can thus get in legal trouble.
i have nothing to complain about, but i know i'll still complain.

kevin

Post by kevin »

mhm, preventing direct downloads is "good enough" for me, though, and i also figured out kind of a hack way of preventing those youtube download firefox extensions from being able to download the file..

that medianet company i was mentioning earlier would be handling the vast majority of the streaming, anyway, aside from the user submitted content which wouldn't be shared unless it's uploaded through a band page and they allow it to be public. the only reason i could ever see anyone trying to save songs would be if there was some new exclusive album that was released first on there or something. otherwise, what's the point?

it sounds like you know your shit, though, so if you want to help i'm down with that ;)

kevin

Post by kevin »

have it up on a real server now, might be temporary, might be permanent: http://173.246.100.3/

it would be awesome if you made an account and upload stuff/test it out.
- the automatic tag grabbing deal only works with mp3 files, and some files do not work (i think it's id3v1 tags that aren't working. this will change soon)
- the upload button doesn't show uploading progress, and it doesn't disable the button from being clicked again, so only click it once (this will also change soon)
- it doesn't let you change the tags or delete songs quite yet

it probably isn't a good idea to upload a ton of shit for now, since it MIGHT be deleted in 10 days. just a heads up