making an internet music player/radio thing... check it out

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

kevin

making an internet music player/radio thing... check it out

Post by kevin »

as long as my computer is turned on this link will work: http://99.58.65.183/radio/

i've been working on functionality for the player and that's pretty much finished with... need to add a ton of shit still, but you can play with it at least. nerfed the audio quality since my internet connection sucks, and threw a bunch of combatwoundedveteran songs up since they're short. works as intended in chrome and firefox, AND the last time i checked... it was working nicely on android phones

what i'm going for is basically a cross between a music player (itunes, rhythmbox, etc), spotify, turntable.fm, grooveshark, etc etc etc. definitely going to add support for last.fm scrobbling, too, everybody loves that

there are some issues i am aware of...
- does not work with internet explorer. if you use internet explorer, you're doing it wrong
- no clue if it works with opera
- when you change the artist filter, the album list and song list don't load at the exact same time. this will be fixed eventually.
- the only link on the left that does anything is the upload link, but there is no upload script yet
- the fonts look better in linux than they do in windows
- volume control works, but when you change the song, it resets to the default

this probably won't be on a real server anytime soon, since i'd have to drop at the very least $100/month for that... will probably have to pay the server costs with advertising and "pro" accounts or whatever, when it's ready to launch

feedback appreciated
Last edited by kevin on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

upenya

Re: making an internet music player/radio thing... check it

Post by upenya »

Works on Safari.

kevin

Post by kevin »

upenya wrote:Works on Safari.
nice! this is good to know.

Heide

Post by Heide »

kevin wrote: - no clue if it works with opera
It does.

So do you plan to make this a big thing or keep it "underground" with just hardcore or something? I guess I don't have to tell you this, but I reckon if you're going big with this you'll run into legal issues quite fast.

kevin

Post by kevin »

yeah i've been trying to think of a good way around the legal issues. other sites seem to be able to get around it.. the songs won't be downloadable, though (at least not all of them), so that might be a way around it. or maybe i can have links to purchase the songs from itunes if they're available.

i wanted to be able to search music that has already been uploaded and made public, so you can just hit "add to library" and it will be added to yours without needing to upload it. but that might create a legal dilemma, so it might have to be limited to songs you personally upload to the site (which sucks)

really unsure about all of the legal stuff, though.

or, i could make a rule about no britney spears/justin timberlake/lady gaga bullshit or you get banned

Heide

Post by Heide »

kevin wrote:yeah i've been trying to think of a good way around the legal issues. other sites seem to be able to get around it.. the songs won't be downloadable, though (at least not all of them), so that might be a way around it. or maybe i can have links to purchase the songs from itunes if they're available.

i wanted to be able to search music that has already been uploaded and made public, so you can just hit "add to library" and it will be added to yours without needing to upload it. but that might create a legal dilemma, so it might have to be limited to songs you personally upload to the site (which sucks)

really unsure about all of the legal stuff, though.

or, i could make a rule about no britney spears/justin timberlake/lady gaga bullshit or you get banned
I wouldn't see much point in using your player instead of winamp if I had to upload my own songs just to listen to them in a lower bitrate :lol:
You'd probably avoid legal issues if you only allow underground music though, and in my eyes that would make your concept more viable as well, I'd probably use it to check out some new obscure bands then.

kevin

Post by kevin »

Heide wrote:I wouldn't see much point in using your player instead of winamp if I had to upload my own songs just to listen to them in a lower bitrate :lol:
then you're missing the point.. it can be used anywhere, on any computer, or phone, or whatever. cloud computing, man. this isn't a replacement for itunes or winamp or whatever music player you have. it's to use when you're at work or on a trip, or really anywhere that isn't your own computer. also, it isn't going to just be a music player - it will have stations (will be the primary function, but i needed the music player working first) and a bunch of other stuff (tags, recommendations, etc)

it would probably have the option to pay for higher bitrates.

Heide

Post by Heide »

kevin wrote:
Heide wrote:I wouldn't see much point in using your player instead of winamp if I had to upload my own songs just to listen to them in a lower bitrate :lol:
then you're missing the point.. it can be used anywhere, on any computer, or phone, or whatever. cloud computing, man. this isn't a replacement for itunes or winamp or whatever music player you have. it's to use when you're at work or on a trip, or really anywhere that isn't your own computer. also, it isn't going to just be a music player - it will have stations (will be the primary function, but i needed the music player working first) and a bunch of other stuff (tags, recommendations, etc)

it would probably have the option to pay for higher bitrates.
Ah I see. But how will stations work when if you can only listen to self-uploaded songs?
But yeah, you're probably not doing anything illegal if you're not making music publicly available yourself or supporting others to do so

kevin

Post by kevin »

stations would just stream whatever song the dj is playing

kevin

Post by kevin »

bump!

you can create an account now. almost finished with the file upload/conversion stuff, then you'll be able to upload your own songs.

and just FYI, the passwords are super encrypted so you don't have to worry about me seeing it or whatever. if anybody on here is a 1337 computer hax0r i'd love for you to try hacking it

EDIT: you might have to clear your cache to see to updated version, if you have looked at it before

EDITx2: just realized i never updated the register process. it sends a popup saying you should receive an email, but, you will not receive an email and you can login right away