fighting games

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

Relemo

fighting games

Post by Relemo »

Anyone play street fighter? Or any fighting games at all, capcom vs snk, marvel vs capcom, guilty gear, xmen children of atom, just any fighting games in general?
love yourself, no one else will

Goatsego

Re: fighting games

Post by Goatsego »

I used to love the Guilty Gear series, but I haven't played since PS2 days. I seem to remember there being a few more games that came out recently but heard they sucked. I currently play a little bit of MvC3 and I am considering getting SF4, seeing as how it's dirt cheap now.

_rown

Post by _rown »

soul calibur 3 and tekken 2. spin them on my ps2 time to time.

AverseBliss

Post by AverseBliss »

Yeah man, I used to mainly play Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, still love it to fuck though. Played 3S for a bit, currently playing SSF4:AE, trying to main Rose and being generally ass. I also casually play Alpha 2, and various other games that are enjoyable. I go to ranking battles sometimes, and the big tournament we have in the U.K. (Super Vs. Battle) never got out of pools or anything though, still, fighting games are fun, and the scene is pretty enjoyable. Funnily enough the guy who showed me the competitive side of fighting games is also the person who introduced me to skramz.

crockett5o5o

Post by crockett5o5o »

Canceling spam bump.

Never really got into fighting games and haven't played to many. I have only owned two. One I can't remember the title of, it was for sega. You could choose to be "the boss" of the game if you pressed and held left or right on the d-pad while in the character selection section. The other being bio freaks for the 64, game was nuts. I'm thinking of getting DOA 5 because it's pretty cheap right now. Anyone played this one that could tell me if it's good or not?
riderofbrohan wrote: the Bermuda Triangle of Skram exists as far as i'm concerned.

thisguyisalright

Post by thisguyisalright »

crockett5o5o wrote:Canceling spam bump.

Never really got into fighting games and haven't played to many. I have only owned two. One I can't remember the title of, it was for sega. You could choose to be "the boss" of the game if you pressed and held left or right on the d-pad while in the character selection section. The other being bio freaks for the 64, game was nuts. I'm thinking of getting DOA 5 because it's pretty cheap right now. Anyone played this one that could tell me if it's good or not?
As far as depth as an actual fighting game, DOA has never been particularly good. I mean it's not bad and if you're not really into fighters you'll probably enjoy it but there are much better games out there.

Relemo

Post by Relemo »

Currently still playing super street fighter 4, I recently moved into a new place and got both my arcade sticks (one fOr Xbox and one for playstation). Do you guys use sticks or the normal controller? Some people prefer the controller but I can only use the stick really. Feels more like I'm at the arcade even though I'm at home swearing at 14 year olds that live in new Zealand for kicking my ass.

And I agree, doa is fun but to someone that plays a lot of fighting games, it's defiantly not my first choice. The whole 3D fighters are kinda weird to me. Don't get me wrong, I grew up with tekken and virtual fighter, but a classic 2D fighter is so much better. I'd suggest the new king of fighters (even though it's kinda hard to pick up if ya don't know what you're doing, it's very combo based), Skull Girls is new and cool too, that game is actually pretty DIY. Some nerd and his hot chick friend made it from their house, kinda cool. Persona 4 came out last year too and I haven't played it yet but it looks like fun, I see people play it when I watch/go to tournaments. Maybe you can try out one of those games when you decide to(or not to) pick up doa.

Side note, not really a fighter but... Did anyone see the new megaman x street fighter 8bit side scroller that capcom released a week or two ago for their 25th anniversy? It's fucking awesome, anyone a fan of the old megaman series will love this game. It's free for download too, I highly recommend it.
love yourself, no one else will

Jakey LIAF

Post by Jakey LIAF »

dhalsim sucks
thebigmin wrote:with a skull split economy like we have right now, this is inevitable

thisguyisalright

Post by thisguyisalright »

Agreed Relemo. Tekken was my jam when I was growing up but there's just something super tight about a good 2D fighter. I have my SNES (knockoff) hooked up to my TV right now with Super Street Fighter II in it and the only time I ever take it out is when I play Castlevania IV.

Speaking of 2D fighters I never really enjoyed Mortal Kombat that much in terms of gameplay, but I think the latest one is super tight and I may actually like it more than street fighter.

riderofbrohan

Post by riderofbrohan »

i grew up with tekken 2 and 3, streetfighter 2 and soul blade, love those games although i don't really play many fighters. Every now and again a few rounds of SC5 or Tekken 6 is fun.

is it just me or are fighting games the most anger-inducing? i usually don't get mad at video games but fighting games really push my buttons some times