cloud nothings - attack on memory

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

relaxiwontpost

cloud nothings - attack on memory

Post by relaxiwontpost »

CitizenOfUlysses

Re: cloud nothings - attack on memory

Post by CitizenOfUlysses »

Last edited by CitizenOfUlysses on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neck_cannon

Post by neck_cannon »

band has changed drastically.
their s/t full length was pretty ... poopy imo, not the worst thing, but the respective splits with kevin greenspon & campires, and the 8 song cdr (missed the tape accidentally) were pretty hard to follow up on.

also, is this all over the place? do people really like this band? i only ask because when i first got into them all i remember are reviews of them being shitty cuz of the vocals, which didn't really make sense to me as i like them.

relaxiwontpost

Post by relaxiwontpost »

manny I got into this band via you years ago. I don't remember if you told me about them or if I just saw them on yr lastfm and checked them out. here are my thoughts.

they have been consistently difficult to categorise, taking as much queue from grunge as twee. but they definitely had a lot more pop leanings, with some shoegazer feel. this new album is a drastic change... and honestly for the better. at least I feel so, and I liked them a lot as they were. but this album is a whole different story. it takes the best of bands such as Fugazi, Slint, Nirvana, The Strokes, Jawbreaker, Drive Like Jehu, and so on and on. I feel that Attack on Memory is merely reminiscent of their previous selves. they might as well have been a different band altogether. I wouldn't react with surprise if it were.

as for popularity, I think they will blow up a lot with this album. furthermore, I think they will be one of those bands who get retroactive good reviews. I, like you, only remember people shitting on them. this new album is getting great reviews though. they got a review in a Norwegian publications, who essentially said they were saving emo, picking up where Sunny Day Real Estate picked up. I literally laughed out loud when I read it.

the hype train has arrived; all aboard?

neck_cannon

Post by neck_cannon »

I've always sorta thought they were just a noisy blink 182... along the lines of bands such as boyracer with the obvious punk leanings.

yeah the preview song i heard towards the end of the last year reminded me of Sunny Day Real Estate, which I figured came from the fact that they worked with a certain popular producer. i've read that their (dylan's) influences has shifted, or at least he changed where he got some of his inspiration.

my buddy still has cd's of both their turning on album and kevvy greenspon split:
http://www.bridgetownrecords.info/

not going to lie.. i hope their next album sounds like semisonic.

yakbiddalz

Post by yakbiddalz »

This album has an iron grip on my Last.fm charts right now. Absolutely incredible.

spudnik

Post by spudnik »

are they cashing in on that slint sound?