Hey skramo kids in bands, I need help.

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

loveinathens

Hey skramo kids in bands, I need help.

Post by loveinathens »

I just got a MIDI controller a while back for my laptop and I've been trying to come up with electronic parts for a couple of my bands. This includes the screamo band I play in. I don't want to do eurogate crabcore shit or arps. I was thinking more Atari Teenage Riot and shit like that apart from ambient/noise stuff/samples. I've done a lot of my writing on FL Studio, which itself may be enough to raise a couple of eyebrows but I don't find myself comfortable with the writing process when I use Ableton or other programs. I was thinking of using different programs to write and another to play live/trigger samples or mix/edit. What do you guys think? I considered going to some electro forums first, but I thought it would be more context-appropriate if I went to kids in bands like mine first.

I absolutely adore the responsiveness and sound quality Ableton has to offer but a LOT of my presets/preferred synths/sounds are in FL Studio unless you could recommend any good ReFills or Packs for Reason and Ableton.

microscope

Re: Hey skramo kids in bands, I need help.

Post by microscope »

use the midi controller(keyboard?) to trigger samples/synth software from a laptop. FL is good enough. what's your question actually?

loveinathens

Post by loveinathens »

microscope wrote:use the midi controller(keyboard?) to trigger samples/synth software from a laptop. FL is good enough. what's your question actually?
Sorry for dropping blocks of text over everything. I need some recommendations as to what to use to trigger stuff for live settings. I also do some live keys every now and then so I go back and forth between vsts. FL is okay if I'm just writing at home but I don't think it's that convenient for live use and I'm looking for a plausible alternative.

Or, if you guys use electronics in your respective screamo/hardcore/punk/whatever bands, I'd like to know what your setups are and how you use them.

microscope

Post by microscope »

i used to (back in like '03) have a sampler from roland which i'd put all my premade samples onto, and trigger live. there's tons cheaper ways of going about it though. as far as software, not sure. sound forge was the shit for sound editing though.

wounderaser

Post by wounderaser »

i wish i knew more about this. i just use a loop station..

Dgrda

Post by Dgrda »

I usually use Logic for production but I'm not sure how comfortable that would be for a performance.

I saw Jaguar Love using Ableton and it looked like they just had everything already mapped out and didn't really touch it except to hit play.

I'm not sure if this is the answer you are looking for though :roll:

paengkee

Post by paengkee »

microscope wrote:i used to (back in like '03) have a sampler from roland which i'd put all my premade samples onto, and trigger live. there's tons cheaper ways of going about it though. as far as software, not sure. sound forge was the shit for sound editing though.
by any chance is it an spd-s? our drummer happens to have one of those. :P