Who was your gateway band?

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

grind/bro

Re: Who was your gateway band?

Post by grind/bro »

Used to like Slipknot and Korn. Then my cousin told me those bands were "for fags" and to pick up a Napalm Death album. Life change right there.

AlecEberhardt

Post by AlecEberhardt »

Dgrda wrote:
AlecEberhardt wrote:
Dgrda wrote: For me, it was Linkin Park. I was all about that shit in 4th grade.
Hybrid Theory was my jam.
Shit, me too. I'm not alone.
Shut up when I'm talking to you.

Did you ever get Live In Texas? I though when he screamed "I won't be ignored" was the most brutal thing ever.

microscope

Post by microscope »

i was in a band that covered that song when i was like 12/13 i believe. we also did "crawling" and a bunch of godsmack songs. oooo growing up in the country, so much better.

menopause

Post by menopause »

5th Grade - Nirvana
6th Grade - Red Hot Chili Peppers
7th Grade - Interpol which led to Joy Division
8th Grade - Fugazi and the rest of Washington D.C.
9th Grade - K Records bands (The Microphones, Mirah, etc.)
10th Grade - Weatherbox

Then in 11th grade my friend gave me A Retrospective and I loved it.

Dgrda

Post by Dgrda »

AlecEberhardt wrote:
AlecEberhardt wrote:
Dgrda wrote: For me, it was Linkin Park. I was all about that shit in 4th grade.

Did you ever get Live In Texas? I though when he screamed "I won't be ignored" was the most brutal thing ever.
Yeah my friend brought it over and we played it on my stereo while we pretended to be badasses. It was brootal

Jakey LIAF

Post by Jakey LIAF »

Cromlech wrote: Screamo- Either Dance Gavin Dance or Boys Night Out. (this is the very first exposure for me. For good screamo it was Orchid's Chaos is me)
i LOVED boys night out's early shit...this was post "skram entrance" too. and "trainwreck" is one of my top five favorite records of all time.
thebigmin wrote:with a skull split economy like we have right now, this is inevitable

takingcareoftraffic

Post by takingcareoftraffic »

In 6th grade I was into a lot of cock rock, screwed n chopped, and alternative/nu-metal. Around 7th and 8th I became a scenie weenie -crab core nation. I thought anything with a geetar and keybordz was soo indie. Then I started usin the interwebs to look up more bands I thought at the time were heavy..

I came across bands like destroyer destroyer, daughterz, converge, old fall of troy, ctts, and the jonbenét. I started going to shows on a reg. then came across a few local bands 25 dollar massacre, the kirby, architect, thumbscrew, ect.

Finally my balls dropped and I started my own band, a long the way I made a great group of friends that influenced me to saetia. I couldn't help but play notres langues nous trompes on repeat. After that heroin, toru okada, angle hair, rites of spring, spirit of versailles, & the whole local aspect of the diy/hardcore-punk scene became more apparent.

BrownMoth

Post by BrownMoth »

The chip of the ice was daughters, then hanging out with my brother and all of his friends got me into bands. Funeral Diner is what cracked the ice for me. I listen to them often and its been years since i discovered them. Their new band ...Who Calls So Loud came to my house and played a show in my barn with my band. Cool dudes.
The finer art of heartwork

Michael Scott

Post by Michael Scott »

Linkin Park was the band that got me into... well, music I guess.

Dgrda

Post by Dgrda »

I'm seeing a lot of Linkin Park in this thread.