reasons touche amore suck

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

DandelionWar

Re: reasons touche amore suck

Post by DandelionWar »

ifp wrote:pros -
the times i've seen touche amore they always put a good show. they play well and they play pretty intensely, it seems.

jeremy has always been very nice to me and last time i saw them their guitar player, colton, introduced himself and seemed very nice as well.

they have a few very well written songs.

the political stances that i've seen the band take are very much in line with my own and my bias towards that lends itself to them winning me over as people.

cons -
all the lyrics rhyme, which, at times makes them sound a little more focused on catchiness than conveying a thought.

seeing them usually consists of dealing with a bunch of 15-16 year olds who are coming from a completely different place in terms of their context of hardcore; i mean this in that most of these folks are way into bands like underoath, glassjaw, and the rest of those "alternative press" bands. it seems some of the popularity that bands like touche amore and la dispute enjoy is from the constituency of kids who are more on that wavelength and not exactly interested in DIY hardcore of any sort. (don't get me wrong....i wasn't born into some encyclopedia of DIY knowledge, it's a process to find and seek out good bands. so maybe some of these kids will use touch amore as a gateway band to find a better slew of bands.)

the vocals on their recordings are way too loud, almost as though they are the main showcase and the music is secondary. i'm not sure if this is a way of reinforcing the "kids should sing along" mentality, but from a musician standpoint it's kind of a bummer.
skram-a-longs are awesome, i love End Of A Year/Self Defense Family and know all the lyrics but they hate sing-a-longers :c

cutoffmyarms

Post by cutoffmyarms »

DandelionWar wrote: skram-a-longs are awesome, i love End Of A Year/Self Defense Family and know all the lyrics but they hate sing-a-longers :c
do they actually? i've never bothered listening to any of those bands but that is fucking awful if they do.
hay

DandelionWar

Post by DandelionWar »

i read that on their tumblr, patrick hates people singing a long because he finds his lyrics to be too personal and weirds him out.

DandelionWar

Post by DandelionWar »

uthkara

Post by uthkara »

touche amore are pretty cool
they're more melodic hardcore than anything, i'm not too worried about them ~gentrifying the tr00 skram~
kids into them inevitably find better stuff (myself very much included in that).
i like la dispute

deathbyendlesspizza

Post by deathbyendlesspizza »

i don't care about them (or any of the bands they're associated with) one way or the other. hopefully they just act as a gateway for kids to get into good stuff. example: at a flea market yesterday i convinced a kid wearing a pianos become the tits shirt who had never heard of funeral diner to buy a todos caeran record from my friend's distro

phoenix_crush

Post by phoenix_crush »

deathbyendlesspizza wrote:i don't care about them (or any of the bands they're associated with) one way or the other. hopefully they just act as a gateway for kids to get into good stuff. example: at a flea market yesterday i convinced a kid wearing a pianos become the tits shirt who had never heard of funeral diner to buy a todos caeran record from my friend's distro
Aw, come on, Deniz. Pianos Become the Teeth are cool and Funeral Diner and Todos are cool too (but better).

maloxan

Post by maloxan »

brianutatx wrote:Image
well played brian
To envision a world without chains but recognize that we,
as individuals, can only chip away at the links.
One at a time, day by day.
To have the ability to wage quiet wars in our everyday lives,
and recognize the subtle victories when they happen....

upenya

Post by upenya »

cutoffmyarms wrote:
DandelionWar wrote: skram-a-longs are awesome, i love End Of A Year/Self Defense Family and know all the lyrics but they hate sing-a-longers :c
do they actually? i've never bothered listening to any of those bands but that is fucking awful if they do.
http://selfdefensemusic.com/post/325301 ... our-lyrics

Jeremy and his lyrics are the only bad part about Touché Amoré. All side-projects have been better music.

zartalexander

Post by zartalexander »

I think their first EP and album had some redeemable qualities. Nothing fancy. I remember seeing them for the first time and they were good live, but didn't expect them to blow up like they did. But then they toured with Thursday...so...'ya know.

Sidenote: I enjoy Thursday. Not even caring.