TOPSHELF RECORDS

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

erick.affinity

Re: TOPSHELF RECORDS

Post by erick.affinity »

Top Shelf... I have heard nothing but horrible things about them as people and in regards to label practices. There are a few good bands "signed" to the label, but something just rubs me the wrong way about them

erick.affinity

Post by erick.affinity »

brianutatx wrote:Anyone have pics of dorks in topshelf shirts? Some of the dweebiest losers are way into this label.

Hahahahahahahahaha

ifp

Post by ifp »

The new We Were Skeletons stuff I've been hearing is very good.

We played with My Fictions a few weeks ago. They were quite nice people and put on a excellent show.

The Topshelf website has a list of artists, some of whom I like, but mostly just bands I've never really heard enough to make an informed decision.

As a person in a band, I've never been too keen on working with any one label exclusively. If it works for other bands/labels, that's cool. But, for me personally the idea of not being to work with different labels would be strange. I'm not sure if this is how the "signing" process goes with topshelf (i'm just making this assumption based on their website having an "affiliated artists" section).

upenya

Post by upenya »

The fact that they haven't seemed to do anything really interesting with it seems lame as fuck, just running on a trend until it's ultimate demise and the rise of another [trend]. They have a handful of good bands, but I feel it doesn't say anything about the bands choosing to go with that label. Bands tend to go with whoever will take on the financial burden of putting out their record, as they should. Labels don't define a band, bands define the label, more or less, and unfortunately Topshelf seems to have a pretty clear line drawn on what they're about and what they're not, and that is being super boring and uninteresting.

Phil

Post by Phil »

The super limited vinyl things that they do really rub me the wrong way. Creating super limited variants of popular band's records to create a feeding frenzy? Not cool in my mind.

Also, they auctioned off a ton of these super limited pressings/test presses on eBay a few months ago to fund their label. Stuff like that should be considered hugely shameful for an "independent" label.
brianutatx wrote:You are just a wiener rock apologist. Down with wiener rock occupation and down with Topshelf!

David

Post by David »

Not only does topshelf destroy bands, they never send you the shit you order and when you try to contact them they never return your calls or e-mails.

cutoffmyarms

Post by cutoffmyarms »

none of it is really my kind of thing, the people that i knew who were into it were over the top PC rich kids and the fact that someone already said that speaks volumes. maybe we're talking about the same people.
hay

steven

Post by steven »

Phil wrote: Also, they auctioned off a ton of these super limited pressings/test presses on eBay a few months ago to fund their label. Stuff like that should be considered hugely shameful for an "independent" label.
I plan on doing some massive ebay test pressing/personal copy auctions in the near-future to help make a dent on the current $15,000 credit card debt my record label has. I can't see how this should be "shameful" for an independent label... however when labels make mass quantities of test pressings and sell them for large dollars that is stupid (Maylene Sheath comes to mind as a label that is always selling their tests for $50+ in their webstore). Also, making limited color vinyl and not offering them up is also stupid, or selling them all on ebay or even charging more for the "limited" color vinyl versions are bad practices. Lots of legit labels sell their tests on ebay to help fund their labels though so I don't see why that is "shameful"

Jakey LIAF

Post by Jakey LIAF »

i won't talk shit on dudes who run any independent label, because the only reward that comes out of it is putting out records by bands you like and ends up putting you in serious debt. it is a bigger money pit than being in a band, AND instead of maybe one girl wanting to fuck you as a result of being in a band, zero care that you run a label.

i will say that the only piece of record label merch i would wear is if the logo depicts a decapitated pig, and as brian stated, you are a dork if you own a topshelf t-shirt.
thebigmin wrote:with a skull split economy like we have right now, this is inevitable

saalt

Post by saalt »

My sister once met up with kevin to make a trade. When she met up with him she asked if maybe he;d like to sign some hardcore bands to change it up. He spit in her hair and screamed "this is bawstin bitch" and pushed her to the ground. when i emailed him about the incident he told me to "stop being a dumb ass hoe"

i have the emails