TOPSHELF RECORDS

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

McGoozenheimer

Re: TOPSHELF RECORDS

Post by McGoozenheimer »

neontaco wrote:ON WITH THE HATE

i cannot stand this band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siIdEicG-Ro

idk how to post videos on this forum
Honestly, it's terrible. Absolutely just not good in anyway. They covered Archers of Loaf and it sucked too.

theironlotus

Post by theironlotus »

McGoozenheimer wrote:
neontaco wrote:ON WITH THE HATE

i cannot stand this band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siIdEicG-Ro

idk how to post videos on this forum
Honestly, it's terrible. Absolutely just not good in anyway. They covered Archers of Loaf and it sucked too.
COK is absolutely awful, can't see how anyone likes em

viva_h8

Post by viva_h8 »

ITT: dweebs cry about the state of music, brian sad b/c kevin didn't listen to his band

kyeospeaks

Post by kyeospeaks »

i've been reading this thread as it's been happening this past week. no one brought it. dweeb2dweeb.

i think topshelf is a label that tries to act like a "major" in the way they love to announce how they "signed" band X to their "family". the contests, the empty social networking, basically i find their presentation to be too much about "looking good". that doesn't mean they suck or that they're a bullshit label but i'm not impressed by pre-orders or what bands are in "the roster". oh yeah, and concerning the tumblr kids, topshelf loves it. the relationship feeds one another. who cares. oh yeah, kevin tried to get good with calculator by buying them beer and hanging out. i think it worked.

maybe the discussion can be brought to the dilemma of substance v. hype. we can all see how great they are at hype. maybe there's substance behind it but the balance is very heavy on one side. hype, hype, hype. reblog, reblog, reblog. topshelf, pay more attention to what bands you work with and how your involvement can benefit their local scene instead of trying to expand your "family". (crediting local friends of your bands would be great when sharing things on your tumblr, instead of erasing out the people who actually did something)

and to everyone else who dislikes topshelf in this thread... bring it.

kyeospeaks

Post by kyeospeaks »

mods banning kevin from addressing his critics, fucking dweebs. people who don't back up shit they say, dweebs. kevin, dweeb requiring no explanation.

theironlotus

Post by theironlotus »

Pretty well said, and Ten Thousand Leagues also rules.

thebigmin

Post by thebigmin »

theironlotus wrote:Ten Thousand Leagues also rules.

saalt

Post by saalt »

DIY labels acting like major labels is definately the most annoying thing ever. Glass nail records , topshelf etc. so boring and annoying

brianutatx

Post by brianutatx »

viva_h8 wrote:ITT: dweebs cry about the state of music, brian sad b/c kevin didn't listen to his band
Whoa bro, I wasn't sad he didn't listen to my band. I give no fucks about that. I got bummed because I booked some shows for some of the bands on his label and when I asked for some help with contact info for East Coast bands he worked with he decided to not respond. I think DIY thrives on helping people out who have helped you out and having relationships because of that.

Also where is anyone crying about the state of music. Most of the bands that have released stuff with topshelf are crappy, no ones sad about that they are stating the obvious.

The Saddest Mike

Post by The Saddest Mike »

theironlotus wrote:WWS and TWIABP are both on it, and the guys in both those bands are really cool. Prawn is a hell of a live show, even if their lyrics suck. Slingshot Dakota, Suis La Lune and PBTT are all good.

Solid label with a few stinkers, imho.
QFT