TOPSHELF RECORDS

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

The Saddest Mike

Re: TOPSHELF RECORDS

Post by The Saddest Mike »

theironlotus wrote:I actually only joined this because someone said something about my name being in the erotic fiction section. I look, and lo and behold, it's Jed fucking a man who woke up a woman, and he's a trucker. Or something. I'm fuzzy on the details.

If you'd like I can just start a bunch of Gauge Means Nothing/Chinesedream/Kite Flying Society/innards threads. I give no fucks
You're already my favorite poster on here. Buying that Gauge Means Nothing 12" for $4 was the best investment I've made in a while

The Saddest Mike

Post by The Saddest Mike »

severaldemons wrote:I didn't really quite get the hate some of you guys on here had for topshelf until I realized they made a compilation called fuck off all nerds. and then i realized. they're a label run by a bunch of fucking tryhards.
To be fair, it was a quote that Mitchel Dubey (RIP) coined and the comp was a dedication to him because at the time, 90% of the bands on Top Shelf (myself included, minus being in a band on Top Shelf) were friends with him.

kyeospeaks

Post by kyeospeaks »

i thought it was well known that the comp name was a mitch quote. topshelf mentioned it many times (advertising tells us that you need to name-drop at least 7 times to drill it into a consumer's head). sorry if that may sound insensitive but i didn't see much transparency when all the *colored* vinyl was coming out. "don't cry for me when i die, just put out a comp." we can't deny that kevin works hard and his own style of running a label. the hard work shows. the critics here really haven't addressed anything concrete or in-depth enough to seem very honest. no, i'm not a supporter of topshelf (dweebs) but if you're going to talk shit on someone, back it up and let the person in question address their critics.

severaldemons is a great example of someone jumping to conclusions based on emotions/presentation.

kyeospeaks

Post by kyeospeaks »

oh and if kevin wants to respond to my criticisms, you're welcome to email me since you're banned. it'd be nice. i don't have the mental fortitude to stomach the topshelf board. cmhwak may be shitty but at least the many posters on this board are very involved in DIY, compared to the people who love to publicly communicate with topshelf tumblr/twitter/board who just provide a vibe of "all talk". it's all hype. i can't wait to read about another pre-order.

theironlotus

Post by theironlotus »

The Saddest Mike wrote:
theironlotus wrote:I actually only joined this because someone said something about my name being in the erotic fiction section. I look, and lo and behold, it's Jed fucking a man who woke up a woman, and he's a trucker. Or something. I'm fuzzy on the details.

If you'd like I can just start a bunch of Gauge Means Nothing/Chinesedream/Kite Flying Society/innards threads. I give no fucks
You're already my favorite poster on here. Buying that Gauge Means Nothing 12" for $4 was the best investment I've made in a while
Hell yes, The Absent Trail rules, as does everything else I've heard them do. probably tied with Autarkeia as my favorite female fronted screamo.

kyeospeaks

Post by kyeospeaks »

nice... Autarkeia be dope...

thebigmin

Post by thebigmin »

RIP Mitch

FOR THE RECORD...

the saddest landscape is a great band and i love Autarkeia(amazing)

severaldemons

Post by severaldemons »

also for the record i definitely jump to conclusions based on my emotions. so?

kyeospeaks

Post by kyeospeaks »

severaldemons wrote:also for the record i definitely jump to conclusions based on my emotions. so?
meaning you were inaccurate about your assumption causing your opinion to be based on nothing.

Spencerhannowsky

Post by Spencerhannowsky »

Jakey LIAF wrote:i won't talk shit on dudes who run any independent label, because the only reward that comes out of it is putting out records by bands you like and ends up putting you in serious debt. it is a bigger money pit than being in a band, AND instead of maybe one girl wanting to fuck you as a result of being in a band, zero care that you run a label.

i will say that the only piece of record label merch i would wear is if the logo depicts a decapitated pig, and as brian stated, you are a dork if you own a topshelf t-shirt.
yes.