Inception (Yes, the movie)

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

iKichigai

Inception (Yes, the movie)

Post by iKichigai »

Okay. I know some of you liked this film. Here we go.
So I gotta say it had a pretty decent rendition of complex ideas for mass consumption.
It's like Freud agreeing with Jung once again. Hollywood, for once, I approve.
And it kinda felt skramy too. Dontcha think? I wish I could just live in dream for 50 years and just kill myself if I'd get tired of it and dream another dream.
*cough*might write*cough* *cough*a concept album*cough*
実存は本質に先立つ。
http://www.myspace.com/caitlynbailey

Arkaic

Re: Inception (Yes, the movie)

Post by Arkaic »

Reminded me of that book by Haruki Murakami "Hardboiled Wonderland and..."

Spoilers if you haven't read it

but there's this part when a character dies but in his mind he's stuck in this dream-conscious infinite loop due to some implant he had in his head. So his body as a whole dies, but mentally, he would never reach that point when all forms of consciousness ends for him. He would just continue to live on in his dream world.

chris709scott

Post by chris709scott »

yea it ruled. the start of the movie I felt a little bit that it would suck but by the end I really did enjoy it.

also...the only thing I didn't like was that leonardo's character had pretty much the same love story as in shutter island which I saw a few months ago, just shitty when they over use an actor i think.

benjamin

Post by benjamin »

Movie was great on multiple levels !

Couldn't help thinking about philosophy the whole time I saw the movie, it's wonderfully open ended and leaves a lot of room for questioning that can't be answered - which is it's greatest strength, conceptually.

What I took away from it, on a personal level, was its exploration of subjective reality: in a world where we constantly search for meaning, and definite answers are never given, the creation of one's own meaning becomes crucial. For me, the ending scene, as well as Mal's whole existential crisis(resolved in suicide), represented the affirmation that an objective reality is not as important as the individual's personal reality.

And I could go on, but I'll spare you from my opinions and leave you to decide for yourself (since I think that was the whole point of the movie)!

BROOTALPOODLE

Post by BROOTALPOODLE »

did anyone else notice that his kids were actually his totem? i'll explain if you didn't, don't read this unless you've seen the movie. during his dreams, he never saw his kids faces. if he saw their faces, that would mean he is awake. his kids were always there in the dreams. and also, what he said his totem was, the top, used to be someone elses totem. at one point in the movie i remember him saying totems are specific to one person, and since the top used to belong to someone else, it would be impossible for him to use it. SHIT BRIX
“I just want to change the way people look at music or maybe just destroy it in general.” -Justin Pearson

iKichigai

Post by iKichigai »

BROOTALPOODLE wrote:did anyone else notice that his kids were actually his totem? i'll explain if you didn't, don't read this unless you've seen the movie. during his dreams, he never saw his kids faces. if he saw their faces, that would mean he is awake. his kids were always there in the dreams. and also, what he said his totem was, the top, used to be someone elses totem. at one point in the movie i remember him saying totems are specific to one person, and since the top used to belong to someone else, it would be impossible for him to use it. SHIT BRIX
Oh crap. It does make sense.
実存は本質に先立つ。
http://www.myspace.com/caitlynbailey

Thefallingnightmare

Post by Thefallingnightmare »

iKichigai wrote:
BROOTALPOODLE wrote:did anyone else notice that his kids were actually his totem? i'll explain if you didn't, don't read this unless you've seen the movie. during his dreams, he never saw his kids faces. if he saw their faces, that would mean he is awake. his kids were always there in the dreams. and also, what he said his totem was, the top, used to be someone elses totem. at one point in the movie i remember him saying totems are specific to one person, and since the top used to belong to someone else, it would be impossible for him to use it. SHIT BRIX
Oh crap. It does make sense.

chris709scott

Post by chris709scott »

Last edited by chris709scott on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

BROOTALPOODLE

Post by BROOTALPOODLE »

you know whats funny

i read that on /b/
“I just want to change the way people look at music or maybe just destroy it in general.” -Justin Pearson

wounderaser

Post by wounderaser »

you should change the title, because it almost ruined the movie for me (i didn't see it yet).