D.I.Y Screamo.

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

klefmop

D.I.Y Screamo.

Post by klefmop »

Are there any recent D.I.Y screamo bands? Idk if I am looking in the right places, but it seems more and more topshelf-influenced bands keep popping up. Bands that just sound like Touche Amore and Pianos Become The Teeth. What are some cool, recent D.I.Y bands that aren't wave worship?
thebigmin wrote:Screamo Will Never Die

-thebigmin

phoenix_crush

Re: D.I.Y Screamo.

Post by phoenix_crush »

what the hell is diy?

plasticsmilerecords

Post by plasticsmilerecords »

Dude are you kidding me? Like are you joking around or being serious? I really can't tell at this point :lol:

Check out...

the truth about dreaming
woglake
gas up yr hearse!
anne hero
old soul
fire academy
we took the hill
the great american with hunt
...and there are a ton more I'm forgetting. All great screamo bands that are "DIY" from your region.

klefmop

Post by klefmop »

D.I.Y to me always meant that an artist recorded, and released their own material. Most D.I.Y bands have rough, and lo-fi recordings. A band that 'does it themselves'.

And, thanks Nolan. I knew I wasn't looking in the right places. I was going to ask you about this tomorrow, if you're still going.

-thebigmin

plasticsmilerecords

Post by plasticsmilerecords »

klefmop wrote:D.I.Y to me always meant that an artist recorded, and released their own material. Most D.I.Y bands have rough, and lo-fi recordings. A band that 'does it themselves'.

And, thanks Nolan. I knew I wasn't looking in the right places. I was going to ask you about this tomorrow, if you're still going.
Having lo-fi or rough recordings doesn't always mean DIY man haha It all depends on what an band or artist is going for sound wise.

riderofbrohan

Post by riderofbrohan »

i would say this board is probably the best place on all the internets to find up and coming skramz

thisguyisalright

Post by thisguyisalright »

plasticsmilerecords wrote:
Having lo-fi or rough recordings doesn't always mean DIY man haha It all depends on what an band or artist is going for sound wise.
This. I'm almost finished an EP and I've done everything myself, all the instruments, vocals, and mixing and it sounds basically like any decently produced hardcore record quality-wise, and that's just using a mixer and my PC. I imagine that's the case for a lot of folks in low budget bands. If anything you'd have to go out of your way to record a lofi album these days.

And as riderofbrohan said, just browse through past threads. There are a ton of awesome bands always making threads here when they release something. My favorite newish band is probably Daido Loori and I found them on this board.

klefmop

Post by klefmop »

Daido Loori is sweet. I don't remember how I heard about them. But they are cool as hell.

-thebigmin

brianutatx

Post by brianutatx »

If a band doesn't build their own instruments and amps then they aren't DIY. I'd prefer if their instruments make them sound more lo-fi ( read: crappy).

A band isn't a DIY touring band unless they build their own car or van and then drill their own oil and refine it themselves to use as fuel for their DIY built vehicle.

DIY means you DO EVERYTHING YOURSELF.

phoenix_crush

Post by phoenix_crush »

brianutatx wrote:If a band doesn't build their own instruments and amps then they aren't DIY. I'd prefer if their instruments make them sound more lo-fi ( read: crappy).

A band isn't a DIY touring band unless they build their own car or van and then drill their own oil and refine it themselves to use as fuel for their DIY built vehicle.

DIY means you DO EVERYTHING YOURSELF.
Finally someone gives me a real answer.