Why are you straight edge?

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

pygmyprieta

Why are you straight edge?

Post by pygmyprieta »

Last edited by pygmyprieta on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brianutatx

Re: Why are you straight edge?

Post by brianutatx »

Jake Spek from Loma Prieta's word's:
"Brian, I know you don't claim edge, but you know you're straight edge right?"

I will very rarely call myself straight edge cause there are alot of connotations that come with the term. Also as a whole I try to avoid labels when it comes to anything I'm actually serious about. Another thing that's weird to me about straight edge is alot of people have there own opinions on what is or isn't straight edge. Like some people only acknowledge straight if you're vegan. Other people don't think you can't be straight edge if you drink coffee or caffeinated drinks. Some people think if you have ever drank, smoked or used drugs then you aren't sxe.

The reason I don't ever do drugs/drink/smoke :
It's healthier for me physically and mentally. I am a happier person without using alcohol/drugs. I make better decisions. My overall quality of life is better. I won't be ending up in jail for public intoxication, possession of illicit substances, drinking and driving etc. I don't have to worry about over dosing on drugs or getting alcohol poisoning. I don't have to deal with hangovers or comedowns. I'm sure I could come up with more reasons but those are some of the major ones.

pygmyprieta

Post by pygmyprieta »

Last edited by pygmyprieta on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thisguyisalright

Post by thisguyisalright »

I don't drink or do drugs but I also think straight edge is kind of dumb (just as a concept, I know a bunch of cool straight edge folks). I really considered myself straight edge in high school and a bit after but I find it's not really something I care about. It was cool since I grew up in a town where the only thing anyone ever did was get drunk as fuck and it was easier to find people that liked doing things I also liked, but as an adult, whatever. I don't think something that arbitrarily limits the decisions I can make is worth even thinking about.

Edit: Also, as Brian said there isn't even a proper agreed upon definition of what it is.

xdylanx

Post by xdylanx »

I was edge because I didn't want to associate with the kids in high school that drank and did drugs because they were mostly scummy. I broke edge because I realized you can be a normal responsible person and drink and do drugs. I don't drink much because I need to keep dem gainz. I don't smoke unless someone smokes me out because I don't like it enough to pay for it. Robotussin is that shit though.

I don't regret being edge during high school at all because my edge friends and I would usually work on our music or just hang out and have fun when everyone was drinking and smoking. I do regret not breaking edge sooner in college because I alienated myself from a lot of people.
Last edited by xdylanx on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plasticsmilerecords

Post by plasticsmilerecords »

xtrendyxedgexbreakx

xdylanx

Post by xdylanx »

plasticsmilerecords wrote:xtrendyxedgexbreakx
Juicy J made drugs sound too cool not to do them.

plasticsmilerecords

Post by plasticsmilerecords »

xdylanx wrote:
plasticsmilerecords wrote:xtrendyxedgexbreakx
Juicy J made drugs sound too cool not to do them.
sure....

désoeuvré

Post by désoeuvré »

I don't drink or smoke for a couple reasons, I guess. I'd love to say that it's because of my intention to live a healthy lifestyle or whatever, and that's part of it; I'm vegetarian, I bike everywhere, I don't overeat or whatever. But, really, that'd be a total bullshit answer, because I've only really cared about my bodily health since I started college, and I had plenty of opportunities to "break edge" before that. Although, maybe not as early as a lot of people, and that might have something to do with it. I had a lot of time in junior high and high school to kinda figure out who I was and what I wanted to do without the influence of drugs or alcohol, mostly because I didn't have any friends in junior high or high school. I'm not even being dramatic. When I was young and impressionable enough to start any of that, I had literally no one who was interested enough in my personality to invite me to parties or whatever. Then, in my junior year of high school, I finally found a group of friends across town that I could connect to, mostly about our love for Brand New and Pokémon, and those kids just happened to be straight edge at the time. Like, they were the ones who went to parties and hung out while their friends got stoned or drunk or stoned and drunk, and I was just like, "Oh, so you don't have to be high to hang out. Cool," so I didn't. I didn't ever really identify as straight edge, mostly because 1. it didn't seem like it meant anything, and 2. I didn't like Have Heart. I guess I was right on the first point, since all the kids from my scene or whatever who were sXe are drunk pretty much every weekend now. And, we still hang out, and I'm kinda the only sober one at all their parties now, and no one makes a big deal out of it, since they know me and all. My current actual reasons for not drinking are both socially motivated, I guess. I have anxiety issues, and the one common thread among all the people I know is that they act stupid when they're drunk or high. It just seems trashy, and maybe that's just the people I know, but really, I'm much too self-aware to ever voluntarily put myself into a state where I'm acting stupid. I don't want to act stupid, partially because I'm scared of judgment, but mostly because I know that I would judge myself for it. Also, I'm a writer, so I try to actually pay attention to whatever semi-interesting things people do, and I feel like I would miss a lot if I were in an altered state.

This answer is kinda not what you're looking for, maybe, and I committed the bifaceted sin of going way too in-depth with a self-reported psychological analysis AND using the phrase "or whatever" every other line, but it was honest, so, um, here you go.

XingKing

Post by XingKing »

I'll tell you why I'm not edge.

Because I don't want to be.