Why are you straight edge?

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

pygmyprieta

Re: Why are you straight edge?

Post by pygmyprieta »

Last edited by pygmyprieta on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phoenix_crush

Post by phoenix_crush »

I'm straight edge and vegetarian. I never drank because my dad is a recovering alcoholic and that kind of scared me away from it. Also, I am not a fan of people getting shitty drunk and partying or whatever and I don't want to be a part of that, though I have no problem hanging out with friends while they drink or smoke. I have no desire to smoke cigarettes or weed because it seems kind of gross and stupid. I don't judge people for it- it's just not what I want. And I try to be healthy so that plays a part in it as well.

ifp

Post by ifp »

I'm 34 years old and I don't do drugs/smoke, etc. the concept of straight edge was introduced to me at 15 and i've adopted the lifestyle choices since then. it wasn't any stretch for me since i didn't smoke/drink in the first place.

I identify myself in two ways:

- straight edge has a context within the punk scene, so if i am within that context i'll use this "label" as brian put it.

- outside of the punk scene (work, family, etc) if someone offers me a drink i'll just say "no thanks". if they push the issue then i'll say "i'm sober". this usually makes people think that i'm a recovering alcoholic and they apologize, which is mean of me to pull off on them, but it seems to get people to lay off.

within the punk scene i've experienced a lot of alienation because i don't drink/smoke. this happens especially on tour when the show is done and we just want to go back to a house, make some food and go to sleep. people are confused that we don't want to go to some party. this has made for awkward situations at times.

in and out of the punk scene there is sometimes this strange line of thinking on the part of men that somehow drinking equates to masculinity. "you don't want a beer? what, are you a fucking pussy?" is the line i've heard many times. are men just inherently more self destructive in this context and related said levels of self destruction to some insecure will of masculinity?

all that said, i have plenty of friends who drink/smoke and when they are handling themselves moderately and respectfully, it's no problem at all. at this point in my life i have little interest to hangout with a bunch of people getting sloppy though.

loagaeth

Post by loagaeth »

brianutatx wrote: How old are you, like 16? Try to express yourself better than "I just find it really dumb". Have you ever given thought to the idea that society actually tells us it's okay and normal to drink/smoke. I'm 29 and believe me it's completely alienating to not drink, people get really confused when an adult around them isn't drinker and in certain cases insecure people (seems like you're one of them) get really bothered by my decision not to drink/smoke. There's a huge industry developed around drinking/smoking/drugs you need to re evaluate what is a societal norm and what isn't. You are the norm, deciding to not use drugs or drink/smoke puts me in the VAST minority of society.

You're the one telling me that my decisions on what I choose not to put into my body is stupid. Who comes across as the asshole with a superiority complex. I can give two shits if you drink/smoke do drugs, do what ever you want, but right now you sound like an asshole. I'm vegetarian too and guess what it puts me in the minority in society and again Im not coming here and making fun of your dietary decisions and again you sound like a clueless ass hole.
Sorry. I was probably in a bad mood then. No, I'm not 16. And if yes, it wouldn't downgrade my opinion in this thread.

It's okay not to drink or smoke or do drugs or ..., but imo it's kind of naive. Whenever I talk to someone about this it's like:
"Hey what do you think about XY?" - "it's bad and I don't do this" - "have you ever tried XY?" - "no" - "so why do you think it's bad?" - "...."
That's what pisses me off most. I'm cool with the decision, but many people don't really know what they're talking about.
I respect your choices, if its serious and you're one hundred percent sure that this is the lifestyle you're going with.

Ehh well excuse me, the fact that you mention "norm" and "the vast minority"; what does it have to do with anything? This makes me think that you're kinda proud of it. (-> Superiority complex) Because it doesn't matter how many people do XY. Its totally irrelevant. It's about yourself and none about the others.

I'm a vegetarian by myself (I wish I had the balls to become vegan. Imitation cheese </3) but I dont let a term like 'straight edge' control my dietary habit.

neck_cannon

Post by neck_cannon »

loagaeth wrote: It's okay not to drink or smoke or do drugs or ..., but imo it's kind of naive.
No, it's not.

Honestly, it shouldn't frustrate or make you mad, or make you think someone is naive for never drinking or using drugs. It's highly commendable, honestly. If someone is being high and mighty then let it go. Don't talk to them anymore. It's all fine. The world still turns.

ifp

Post by ifp »

loagaeth wrote:

"Hey what do you think about XY?" - "it's bad and I don't do this" - "have you ever tried XY?" - "no" - "so why do you think it's bad?" - "...."

i've never jumped out of plane without a parachute, but i'm pretty sure that would be bad for me. point being, you don't have to try something to know it's not good for you.

Relemo

Post by Relemo »

resuscitaterecords wrote:honestly if i didnt have people like brian and cory in my life I would be edge

Those two take care of me when i fuck up real bad, and i fuck up real bad cause im fucking emotional and smoke and drink to deal with it.

I finally quit taking xanax 5 months ago and went through a hardcore 2 week withdrawal and if people like brian weren't in my life i would not have made it

Ill probably never stop smoking (trees) ( i dont smoke cigarettes for some very personal reasons) because its my muse
and ill probably never stop drinking because being a substitute teacher fucking sucks

but i have to admit i take advantage of the straight edge people in my life, i love them

when i tried to fight keith (cyls) when i was blacked out on alchohol and xanax brian pulled me away and he became associated with my actions even though he didnt have too. And now keith won't talk to brian either, but if it wasnt for brian i would have ended up in jail.

much love brian!

ps i also love the edge cause ampere, portraits of past,..... well you guys know
I defiantly am more like Wes, the sad drunk guy thats ridiculously grateful for his amazing friendships.

When I was in high school I sorta 'claimed' edge, more so because I didnt really know better and I love Embrace and Minor Threat. But one day on top of our local movie theatre, my friend convinced me to try pot 'just once man' and its been down hill ever since. Lol he also told me to become a vegetarian which I also did. So I guess I was more of a tool back then, now I indulge in illicit activities occasionally and still stay away from meat. I get more shit about not eating meat than I do for doing drugs, which I think is sorta crazy. The fact that I can do an illegal substance, that harms and destroys my body, and no body be phased by it yet when I go out to eat people have issues with my dietary choices really erks me. Of course, I live in Texas, where its 99 cents for a cheeseburger and 4.99 for a salad anywhere you go.

I do have a question though, have any of you 'sxe'ers had the urge to break edge? For example, something horrible tragic happens, your parents died, you broke up with your significant other, you got your car stolen, a bird pooped on you, your dog ate your thesis and then died because it was typed in your mac book, stubbed your toe so bad on a door frame and got your identity stolen all in one shitty day (or maybe over a short period of time). Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Felt so low and alone that you turned to something youre (or at least dont take apart of) against?
love yourself, no one else will

ifp

Post by ifp »

Relemo wrote:
I do have a question though, have any of you 'sxe'ers had the urge to break edge? For example, something horrible tragic happens, your parents died, you broke up with your significant other, you got your car stolen, a bird pooped on you, your dog ate your thesis and then died because it was typed in your mac book, stubbed your toe so bad on a door frame and got your identity stolen all in one shitty day (or maybe over a short period of time). Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Felt so low and alone that you turned to something youre (or at least dont take apart of) against?

When things happen that make life seem hopeless and/or frustrating it typically makes me want to write more music. The thought of inebriating myself never really came to mind as something that would help me through difficult times.

CitizenOfUlysses

Post by CitizenOfUlysses »

Last edited by CitizenOfUlysses on Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.