an observation about this whole 'skramz' thing.

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

ifp

an observation about this whole 'skramz' thing.

Post by ifp »

Every time we play with bands that are more traditional hardcore a good amount of people come up to us and say "you guys remind me of touche amore".

To the people who listen exclusively to traditional hardcore, does anything with screaming or discordant melodies just sound like Touche Amore?

I'm confused.

Phil

Re: an observation about this whole 'skramz' thing.

Post by Phil »

Thinking like that is probably why he can pull off this style of music easily. Back in February 2008, when Touché Amoré had their first live performance during a house show in Pasadena, Calif., the band took cues from some of the most tortured underground sounds ever put to tape. "At the time, we would say, 'Oh, we want to be a '90s throwback screamo kinda band, like a Saetia, Orchid,You and I, Neil Perry kind of band, but I think the quote-unquote hardcore kids in us took the bigger step forward where it ended up being a screamo-influenced hardcore band,.
Tom, they have it backwards. They think you guys are ripping off Touche, but Touche are ripping off you. :lol:
brianutatx wrote:You are just a wiener rock apologist. Down with wiener rock occupation and down with Topshelf!

ifp

Post by ifp »

I never thought of it that way really. But I guess that's kind of funny.

pygmyprieta

Post by pygmyprieta »

Last edited by pygmyprieta on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShawnWBG

Post by ShawnWBG »

just saw this in a band review page on facebook regarding some twinkly emo band, I'm pretty sure those guys really do just hear everything as the same

dez

Post by dez »

All proves that ignorance is bliss

ifp

Post by ifp »

pygmyprieta wrote:What do you usually tell them when they ask?
no one ever asks. they just come up to us and say "you guys remind me of touche amore".

i suppose it's all relative. for example, to me, all these raw punk/mysterious guys bands are totally indistinguishable from each other.

CharlieBronson

Post by CharlieBronson »

I think went topshelf came out it misappropriated the word "screamo" and "Emo" way more than MCR, The Used and the likes ever did simply because it was a smaller non commercial label. So for awhile and still now skramz to the masses is far removed from what we perceive as skramz.

Bands like Yusuke, Coma Regalia, GUYH! and likes are bringing "Tru Skramz" back though which I'm excited about I hope they can go the distance.

Sleep Patterns posted on thier FB the other day
"Is this how true skramz fans see us?" captioned over a image of Mötley Crüe.

I agree with the more correct labeling of these bands to be Emotional Hardcore.
CharlieBronson wrote: Things truly are sucklical in music

pygmyprieta

Post by pygmyprieta »

Last edited by pygmyprieta on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemyisgod

Post by lemyisgod »

We played a show where every band labeled themselves as Skramz and not one of them actually played any kind of discordant music. When asked what kind of music we play we were just like Punk. It was mostly Indie bands with "Shoegaze" sorta influence(Even though Im hesitant in even using that) or pop punk bands. Funny thing was when the bands that played after us came up to us and were like "Shit, Theres not way we are going to be able to play after you guys."