What is your screamo origin story?

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

tonyxvx

Re: What is your screamo origin story?

Post by tonyxvx »

I actually got into Screamo via Hot Cross when I was like 13 or 14. I might have mentioned that in this giant thread, I dunno.
But elitism makes me feel more manly for liking the non-androgynous emo. 8-)

benxasylum

Post by benxasylum »

I found the mx tabs old Hardcore/Emo forum. I didn't really know what hardcore was, my uncles had mentioned it when I first got into punk in association with bands like Cro-Mags, Black Flag, etc. But what really interested me was the screamo term I kept seeing mentioned. So I checked out the band list in the Emo/Screamo Community Thread, downloaded the songs Epilogue of a Car Crash by Orchid, One Dying Wish by Saetia, Fucking Hero by City of Caterpillar, and Non-Objective Portrait of Karma by Circle Takes the Square. From there on out it was all I wanted to listen to, so I checked out thank you lists/myspaces/wikipedia/message boards for anything related to screamo, while also learning that the bands my friends at school called screamo were just poppy bullshit.

Also I guess that was back around December 2004-February 2005 in 9th grade. It's been a good 5 almost 6 years.
"it's so hard to change when the world doesn't see you any other way"

"punk is forever"

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

smfy wrote:
alexander wrote:uhm didn't a lot of the posters on here say that they got into emo/screamo via bad mallcore bands? I'm assuming those are the same people that are ripping on those two new posters...

elitism in emo is so lol. I mean come on. it's emo. EMO. it's retarded enough as it is. we don't need elitism and pomposity to further enhance the experience.
Pomposity and elitism are the only reason these bands were heard of long enough for the newer mallcore kids to get into it. And I seriously mean THE ONLY reason.
Perfect summation.

Also, Alex, you're doing a real bad job of pretending to not be the fake account I think you are.

File-13

Post by File-13 »

tonyxvx wrote:
sleepyfalllove wrote:hardcore punk = black flag, some misfits, old AFI, etc. hardcore (genre) = gallows, bring me the horizon, some a day to remember, etc.
File-13 wrote:But there are differences between the two, but I don't wanna get into it, this is about skramz not what is punk rock
:|
This has to be the same person. Or one has greatly influenced the other's stupidity. As much as I would love to rant about how shitty Deathcore is and how uninformed you and your group of like-minded, flippy haired, skinny jean'd friends are about music you listen to because Hot Topic tells you to that lead you to look up more obscure "Screamo" bands on the internet and upon your discovery of CTTS ended up finding this website, I shouldn't.
...whoops.
sorry to burst your bubble, but in all honesty...were not the same person... BUT we are in the same band = similar music taste.....and deathcore...really?...are we just making up genres as we go? I really don't care as to what people on the internetz* has to say about music I listen to that is not scremo, but I was pg. 99 and orchid were in constant rotation between alkaline trio, circle jerks, and the bouncing souls.... As a matter of fact...still is. Yea their different, but this whole "crazy" concept of listening to multiple genres of music is un-heard of...isnt it?! I'm a rebel! :lol:

tonyxvx

Post by tonyxvx »

File-13 wrote:I'm a rebel! :lol:
No, you're a moron.

File-13

Post by File-13 »

tonyxvx wrote:
File-13 wrote:I'm a rebel! :lol:
No, you're a moron.
touche'

tonyxvx

Post by tonyxvx »

I had no idea people in bands could be so ignorant on music. What instrument/genre do you play?

File-13

Post by File-13 »

tonyxvx wrote:I had no idea people in bands could be so ignorant on music. What instrument/genre do you play?
ignorant? about what, i just stated that i listen to other genres besides screamo i believe thats the opposite of ignorant....i play bass, and we play a clusterfuck of pop-punk,post hardcore,emo,and happy hardcore? if that makes any sense? its a mix bag of fun music

tonyxvx

Post by tonyxvx »

File-13 wrote:
tonyxvx wrote:I had no idea people in bands could be so ignorant on music. What instrument/genre do you play?
ignorant? about what, i just stated that i listen to other genres besides screamo i believe thats the opposite of ignorant....i play bass, and we play a clusterfuck of pop-punk,post hardcore,emo,and happy hardcore? if that makes any sense? its a mix bag of fun music
Calling ADTR and BMTH both Hardcore is not only ignorant in itself, but adds an extra amount of ignorance due to the fact they have distinctly different sounds.
Btw, listening to other subgenres of Punk doesn't make your taste diverse, especially when you consider you're supposedly a musician and you don't even know what you're listening to. It's all Punk. Ya know, except when you throw Metal fusion genres in the mix and you claim they're the same thing as bands with little to no Metal influence. :|
Do you have a band link?

File-13

Post by File-13 »

tonyxvx wrote:
File-13 wrote:
Calling ADTR and BMTH both Hardcore is not only ignorant in itself
i didnt post that....^^^^^ and i agree with you on that