What is your screamo origin story?

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

tonyxvx

Re: What is your screamo origin story?

Post by tonyxvx »

Pete > You wrote:Just being a punk in California. Just sort of happened.

xdylanx

Post by xdylanx »

Found Saetia on the internets. Then I pretty much just listened to Saetia, Orchid and Pg. 99 for a long time without really getting into much other skram until a year or so later

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

ifp wrote:when i was 17 (1996) i started playing in a band with some friends. we liked a lot of different music. we all agreed on bands like converge, puritan, frail, elements of need, reversal of man, endeavor, indian summer and a few others. we started writing songs and didn't really follow any formula. two years later we broke up after releasing some music and touring.

in 2000, someone came up to me and told me that i had been in a "screamo" band. i wasn't sure what this meant, since at the time we just thought of ourselves as a hardcore band. i suppose this was my introduction...someone telling me what kind of genre my old band fell into.
Haha, this is pretty much it. No one really thought of this as "screamo" back then, it was just hardcore. Incidentally, it was all the late 90s/super early millennios New Brunswick bands that sort of completed the transition for me.

Arkaic

Post by Arkaic »

I heard of CTTS and City of Caterpillar for a while, but haven't been really listening to them. Then Envy came along and blew me away with their pre-Insomniac Doze stuff. They were all I listened to for a year or so before I got more into the genre.

loveinathens

Post by loveinathens »

The band that started it all for me was Thursday. I listened to what every other 14 year old misfit kid listened to around 2004. Everyone was basically jacking it off to bands like The Used, Finch et al. They called those bands emo. I sort of knew early on that Thursday was something different. That lended me to the predisposition towards music with that vibe. On the side, since Thursday was on Victory and the Philippines at the time was a dump for old Victory CDs and cassettes, I used to be able to buy cassettes and CDs for $2 brand new. I immediately got into All Out War, Snapcase, Reach The Sky, Buried Alive, Warzone and Grade apart from all the bands on their Victory Style compilations. Integrity was pretty awesome as well. That aside, I got into straight-edge (the culture and the music) and the old rosters of bands on Equal Vision, Ferret and Trustkill. I found my way into bands like Hopesfall, Zao, old Eighteen Visions, Candiria. It was at this point that I got into the kind of hardcore that struck me, stuff like Converge and Botch. From there on in, I started branching out into most subsets of hardcore that are vaguely worth mentioning, developing a lasting love for post-hardcore (the Drive Like Jehu/Fugazi/ATDI kind) and it wasn't long before I learned of a band called Orchid and it all went downhill from there. That same year, I think around 2005-2006, I met an old punk who liked this shit. He let me have some of his old Inside Front/HeartattaCk 'zines. Before I knew it, I was reppin the skramz in a band of my own.

I am also a size medium and I used to lurk on the B9 boards. :|

forzamadrid

Post by forzamadrid »

It started with me in a forum called "Rakista". I'm sure the guys from Cailyn Bailey know about it. The "Emo" forums there were divided at war between Skramz kids and Post-Hxc people. Thanks to some guys smart enough to post links about Skramz, I had finally discovered what actual Screamo was.

But I didn't get into screamo right away. Took me years, in fact. I used to listen to a lot of metal back when i was 13-15, but thanks to those extremely intelligent metal heads at last.fm, i decided i didn't want to stick to metal all my life. i started searching for new stuff to listen to, and got into hardcore and skramz eventually.

Mineral, Pg.99, The Saddest Landscape, Iwrotehaikus, Orchid, Suis La Lune. Those were some of the first bands that got me into emo/screamo.
literature as masturbatory paraphernalia.

loveinathens

Post by loveinathens »

forzamadrid wrote:It started with me in a forum called "Rakista".
Fuck that website and all the women in it. They will eat your soul.

iKichigai

Post by iKichigai »

loveinathens wrote:
forzamadrid wrote:It started with me in a forum called "Rakista".
Fuck that website and all the women in it. They will eat your soul.
I think I know what this is about. It does ring a Belle..I mean bell. :lol:
実存は本質に先立つ。
http://www.myspace.com/caitlynbailey

xJochemx

Post by xJochemx »

Not sure, I guess it was this guy Tijs recommending me stuff on a Dutch forum called Nightwork. Pretty much a hardcore forum and I was into hardcore ONLY at that time. But I think on of the first things I really liked was Joshua Fit For Battle? Napster was awesome back then and Tijs and I spent ages on there downloading everything we could come up with. Back on the Nightwork forum Tijs gave me an insane list of bands. I wrote all of them down in tiny letters and downloaded every single one. :)

ghostknifer

Post by ghostknifer »

My parents, who worked as C.I.A. agents were killed on a mission. I was left in the care of my aunt and uncle, who live in the Forest Hills neighborhood of Queens, New York. They loved me, but I grew to be unpopular among my peers. Between an uncle who was too old to join me in physical activities and an aunt who was over-protective of me, I gravitated to more non-physical hobbies such as photography and home chemistry, which my guardians encouraged. I grew to be a lonely, timid, but exceptionally bright teenager who showed more interest in his studies (especially science, for which I have a genius talent) than in social life. I was often the target of jokes and bullying by more popular students. I attended a science exhibition where I was bitten by a radioactive screamo. Later, I discovered the screamo bite gave me an array of screamo-like powers, including: being able to cry at shows, the ability to outbid others on OOP Witching Hour records at the last second, being vegan, and an extrasensory "skram-sense".