Tips for a beginner guitarist.

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

Dyelyo

Tips for a beginner guitarist.

Post by Dyelyo »

I just recently started playing the guitar and I could use some tips from you guys. A friend of mine is an avid guitar player and he told me to just start off learning chords. I am doing that but I just feel like there is something more productive that I could be doing. I feel like a toolbag for asking, but I really want to achieve the Age Sixteen/Suis la Lune sound and I have no idea how to do so. What pedals/settings on their amp do they use?

pygmyprieta

Re: Tips for a beginner guitarist.

Post by pygmyprieta »

Last edited by pygmyprieta on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klefmop

Post by klefmop »

i think there is a thread already for this.
but, learning the basic chords is something everyone should do. might as well learn them first just to get them out of the way.
basically this genre is based off of octave chords. I posted the scale 99% of bands use in the other thread.
other wise, they are most likely using open chords all over the neck. I like to do a mix of barre chords, open, and octave when writing music.
as for pedals, any FAB pedal is your best bet. they're like 14$, and they are all really good for beginners. the FAB metal pedal is ridiculously distorted, and sounds good for skram.
remember that it takes about a year or even two to be able to learn a lot of chords that sound cool. but you can always play strictly octave chords and learn those in like five minutes.
your ability to play will come with time. the drummer of loma Prieta once told me "one day, it'll be twenty years that youve been playing."
go in the other thread and find the scale I posted for octaves. learn that and learn to play them super fast and distort them heavily. you'll be skramin (yeah I said it) in no time at all
thebigmin wrote:Screamo Will Never Die

-thebigmin

CharlieBronson

Post by CharlieBronson »

Word.

Octave and Dissonant chords are skramz.

Good simple key to follow.

E-----------------------------
B-----------------------------
G-2---4---5---7---9--10--12
D-x---x---x---x---x---x---x
A-0---2---3---5---7---8--10
E-0---0---0---0---0---0---0

As for pedals. Boss pedals rule the roost IMO the delays are great. The distortion and metalzone pedals are real versatile. Pedals can only do so much too dont under estimate the power and effectiveness of a good quality amp.
CharlieBronson wrote: Things truly are sucklical in music

ifp

Post by ifp »

start with two things:

1. learn chords (the standards as well as power chords)

2. learn to play in time (gain the ability to play along with a drum beat)

Cpt9Ball

Post by Cpt9Ball »

x
Last edited by Cpt9Ball on Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

thisguyisalright

Post by thisguyisalright »

I found it a lot easier to not only learn chords but get good at fingering them instantly by just learning some simple folky songs that you like. I don't really listen to a huge amount of that kind of stuff but there is literally no easier album to play and sing than People Who Can Eat People by Andrew Jackson Jihad.

vavavampire

Post by vavavampire »

Practice palm muting early on, learning to chug well can be quite hard.

saalt

Post by saalt »

dont try to play screamo right away try to learn how to play way harder shit so when you get to starting a band you play real creative tough stuff

Romulus

Post by Romulus »

There is already a good deal of good advice in this thread, as well as a few other threads here as has been mentioned. My 2 cents on this is just play often, there is absolutely no substitute for practice. You can't really get around learning the fundamentals, but learning to play songs you enjoy is a good way to get some of that accomplished while not being a total chore. And when you start playing with other people practice even more often. Keep in mind that no one is good out of the gate. Maybe also try jamming with people better than you every now and then, you can learn a lot by jamming with more experienced players.