books/documentaries about the history of hardcore punk

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

pointpleasant

books/documentaries about the history of hardcore punk

Post by pointpleasant »

what (if any) good books and documentaries are out there about the history of hardcore? i´ve heard of "American Hardcore: A Tribal History" but a lot of people have negative opinions about it. thanxxx.

klefmop

Re: books/documentaries about the history of hardcore punk

Post by klefmop »

it's not exactly a direct documentary of hardcore punk as a whole, but I really enjoyed Get in the Van by Henry Rollins
its memoirs about his time in black flag.
thebigmin wrote:Screamo Will Never Die

-thebigmin

ShawnWBG

Post by ShawnWBG »

Opinions are a bit polarized on it as far as I've seen, but I enjoyed the Afropunk doco a lot

CharlieBronson

Post by CharlieBronson »

klefmop wrote:it's not exactly a direct documentary of hardcore punk as a whole, but I really enjoyed Get in the Van by Henry Rollins
its memoirs about his time in black flag.
100% Aware.

Such a good read. It boggles the mind that shit was so crazy that police showed up in force at heaps of their shows. And they would guard thier equipment in the van with a unloaded .457 magnum. And Rollins just being like work at Häagen-Dazs and lift while I wait for the next tour. BOSS!!!!!

Iggy Pops autobiography Open Up And Bleed is quite the story to behold. Car crashes, Haitian voodoo curses (srs) and general debauchery. "What a drug fiend!" I said to myself on a few occasions while reading but great Insight to the formative years of punk.
CharlieBronson wrote: Things truly are sucklical in music

Romulus

Post by Romulus »

From my experience there are not very many "definitive" histories on the subject. There are a handful of books out there with good information pertaining to the history of Hardcore though. Burning Fight comes to mind as does "Our Band Could Be Your Life." The Decline of Western Civilization is also probably a good thing to watch. American Hardcore (the book and the movie) has some good information, but like any document of its type it helps to read it critically and not canonically.

My 2 cents on the matter.