New 90s hc blog.

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

xsoldoutx

New 90s hc blog.

Post by xsoldoutx »

http://www.creationofminerals.blogspot.com

90s hardcore records.

posts of zines and flyers coming later, rather than sooner.

trade links? yes, i'd like to do so.

creationofminerals @ hotmail (dot) com

Febcanl

Re: New 90s hc blog.

Post by Febcanl »

I love you

xsoldoutx

Post by xsoldoutx »

Febcanl wrote:I love you

Hey, I'll take it...

aboutpreconceptions

Post by aboutpreconceptions »

This is really cool - I was particularly excited to see the flier for a Lancaster show and mention of Spirit Assembly's drummer filling in for 400 years. I'm from Lancaster and only work up the nerve to bug older friends to tell me about the bands/scene around that time every now and then, so it's cool to see things like this. Any other info/recollections would be appreciated!

xsoldoutx

Post by xsoldoutx »

aboutpreconceptions wrote:This is really cool - I was particularly excited to see the flier for a Lancaster show and mention of Spirit Assembly's drummer filling in for 400 years. I'm from Lancaster and only work up the nerve to bug older friends to tell me about the bands/scene around that time every now and then, so it's cool to see things like this. Any other info/recollections would be appreciated!

Awesome! Glad you dug the post. I'm from the Philly area and still live here after spending a few years in Athens, Ga and (more recently) Sydney Australia. There was another band from Lancaster I really enjoyed called Dutchland Diesel http://www.dutchlanddiesel.freeservers.com/, and they never really fit in with any of the bands I saw 'em play with. For example, Turmoil, Despair, Hatebreed, Rancor, Doc Hooper & D.D. all played together in January 1997 at the First Unitarian Church here in the city, and D.D. stuck out like a sore thumb. Still have the flyer for that show, too. They played rocking, indie rock-type stuff and weren't afraid of being drunk during their sets while playing with straight edge bands, which was always pretty entertaining.

There were tons of good bands from Pennsylvania during the mid 90s, and Spirit Assembly were one of my favs. Frail, Bleed, Elements Of Need, Canon, the abovementioned Turmoil, Conviction, Franklin, Introspect, Autumn/Forethought, etc etc etc. Loads of great stuff. Corrupted Image Records (CI) was, of course, helpful in putting Lancaster punk and hardcore on the map. Great town! Are you still in the area?

Matt

aboutpreconceptions

I'll have to give Dutchland another listen, I wasn't around the see them live but got two releases of theirs from Greg Chumpire who released them. They didn't grab me quite the same as some other Lancaster emo acts (spirit assembly for sure!) upon first listen and I guess I'd forgotten them.

I am still in Lancaster, I like it here too. As long as I've been going to shows (granted only 6-7 years) CI records has been mostly catering to/booking/releasing metalcore of a sort I've had little interest in. There are still house shows and other smaller venue events that bring through some great bands, Lizard Lounge does put on some good stuff as well (so I guess there is that CI connection still!) Seemed kind of quiet on this front for a little bit but now we've got several pretty steady venues and good people booking.

Lot of really excellent emo/screamo going on here in recent years - 1994!, Boyfriends, Swedes, Row, and We Were Skeletons are some favorites. Not all active, but all with some members still making music - some around here, some moved away. All made an impact on me. I'll check out the others you listed, some new names for me. Thanks!

xsoldoutx

Post by xsoldoutx »

aboutpreconceptions wrote:I'll have to give Dutchland another listen, I wasn't around the see them live but got two releases of theirs from Greg Chumpire who released them. They didn't grab me quite the same as some other Lancaster emo acts (spirit assembly for sure!) upon first listen and I guess I'd forgotten them.

I am still in Lancaster, I like it here too. As long as I've been going to shows (granted only 6-7 years) CI records has been mostly catering to/booking/releasing metalcore of a sort I've had little interest in. There are still house shows and other smaller venue events that bring through some great bands, Lizard Lounge does put on some good stuff as well (so I guess there is that CI connection still!) Seemed kind of quiet on this front for a little bit but now we've got several pretty steady venues and good people booking.

Lot of really excellent emo/screamo going on here in recent years - 1994!, Boyfriends, Swedes, Row, and We Were Skeletons are some favorites. Not all active, but all with some members still making music - some around here, some moved away. All made an impact on me. I'll check out the others you listed, some new names for me. Thanks!

Definitely played a show with my old band while we were on tour in the dudes from 1994's basement during the summer of 2009. I'm pretty sure we played with WWS, also. Good times. I forgot to mention Fields Lay Fallow, which had 2/3 of Spirit Assembly in the band. I'm pretty sure they were living in Philly by this point, though (1998). Are you familiar with that band at all?

aboutpreconceptions

I only got to see a few shows at stomping grounds back then but they were all great. What was your old band?

I'm not super familiar with fields lay fallow but I've heard of one of their albums via the internet and know of some connection to Spirit Assembly. I've enjoyed them and have been thinking of trying to track down that album and some more Encyclopedia of American Traitors as well.

1/2 of 1994! is in Philly now too, playing in a band called Quit. Coming through Lancaster on Sunday though, stoked to see them.

xsoldoutx

Post by xsoldoutx »

aboutpreconceptions wrote:I only got to see a few shows at stomping grounds back then but they were all great. What was your old band?

I'm not super familiar with fields lay fallow but I've heard of one of their albums via the internet and know of some connection to Spirit Assembly. I've enjoyed them and have been thinking of trying to track down that album and some more Encyclopedia of American Traitors as well.

1/2 of 1994! is in Philly now too, playing in a band called Quit. Coming through Lancaster on Sunday though, stoked to see them.
We were called Nationale and were from Georgia. Female fronted screamy-type stuff.

Fields Lay Fallow only put out one 12", it was indeed fantastic. They were really impressive live, too.

Jakey LIAF

Post by Jakey LIAF »

i can vouch for this poster's knowledge, he has a ridiculous vinyl collection and is seriously 55 years old.

hey matt
thebigmin wrote:with a skull split economy like we have right now, this is inevitable