Screamo Sucks in the US

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

letsfuckinggo

Screamo Sucks in the US

Post by letsfuckinggo »

Forgive me for sounding like a stereotypical curmudgeon but screamo sucks in 2016 and it has been on the decline since the early 2010s. Every band that people have been hyping up in recent memory has been either disappointing derivative or downright boring. At least in the US. Pretty much the only screamo I listen to is older screamo from back when people were still writing groundbreaking music, Same goes for most people I know (and before you say it no I am not in an echo chamber of old curmudgeon dudes). Either that or they have stopped listening al l together. And Im not even referring to the entry level shit from the 90s or early 2000's. Even stuff released in '10 11 '12 was way better than stuff being put out today.

Add to the fact that less people are actively attending shows, labels have been putting out less releases, and less people have been posting on message boards and facebook groups (dont scoff its a good way of telling whos still involved). No one comes to screamo shows anymore and before you say it, no it hasnt always been that way. people are aware of the decline in quality of screamo and have not been motivated. Even the dough brains who love twinkle pop emo are keeping their scene alive and going to shows. All I am saying is its a shame that people are hopping on the hype trains of like 1 Ok band from richmond, 1 Ok band from texas, and 1 Ok band from california and letting the rest fall to the wayside and not starting new bands and not encouraging a scene in their own town.
Last edited by letsfuckinggo on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

xkilleveryone

Re: Screamo Sucks in the US

Post by xkilleveryone »

What euro bands are good?

klefmop

Post by klefmop »

I feel you on this hard.

luckily my good friends in youth novel are keeping the michigan screamo scene alive and well, along with the homie Nolan on here. they're literally both the only thing that I know of that is going on in MI (aside from all the U OF M bands in Ann Arbor, which is just pretty much Chun from youth novel in every band on that campus)

i feel like screamo came and went as it has before in history. an interesting pattern actually. it can be identified in three waves I think.

first wave was early 90's: Honeywell reach out, etc.
second wave was orchid, saetia, etc
third wave was all of the recent stuff. nayru, mnwa. that stuff.

the genre tends to come and go every 8-10 years and stay around for a short period of time. having experienced the hype of the genre again, and then the ultimate demise of it again, it really sucks. a lot of good music (and yes a lot of bad wave bands) came out in the last few years, and idk many of them that still tour regularly.

ever since capacities broke up I was just like "welp. that's it for this genre"
Its a bummer your band is experiencing line up difficulties, and if I lived in the area I'd totally try out for guitar. the show at the sanctuary was exactly why I love this genre. chaotic raw energy.
same with caust when I saw them in Ann Arbor. that band god damn ruled.
I want to play screamo again but literally no one wants to play music, let alone screamo

tl;dr. I'm bummed that this genre is being kept afloat by a select few bands and no one is making new screamo bands anymore.
Last edited by klefmop on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebigmin wrote:Screamo Will Never Die

-thebigmin

thebigmin

Post by thebigmin »

Screamo Will Never Die

-thebigmin

klefmop

Post by klefmop »

-thebigmin

-thebigmin

dkelly41

Post by dkelly41 »

your just not looking hard enough. i think its funny you mention europe scream as being interesting because for me its basically the opposite. all that shit sounds the same besides a few exceptions

Heres some screamo bands that have released music in 2016 that you should check out.

https://giffromgod.bandcamp.com/album/d ... eformatted
https://offcloudnine-label.bandcamp.com ... ck-you-e-p
https://skeletallightning.bandcamp.com/ ... lill-split

Tons of good shit came out in 2015 too

https://nayru.bandcamp.com/album/this-d ... language-2
https://lordsnow.bandcamp.com/

brianutatx

Post by brianutatx »

I agree American screamo has really been letting me down lately. I like few current bands like La Luna, Greyscale and Youth Novels, but most of the stuff coming out these days is kinda boring. On the other hand the European stuff I've been finding has gotten me excited about screamo again. Hopefully more American bands will take cues from Euro bands so American screamo will get good again.

ifp

Post by ifp »

I'm playing some awesome shows coming up:

Stoked on new/current releases from Coma Regalia, La Luna, Respire, Caution Children, Gilian Carter, Mothlight, Youth Novel

brianutatx

Post by brianutatx »

What if all the screamos in America got stoked on Euro skreamo again? Remember when American's love Euro screams?

CharlieBronson

Post by CharlieBronson »

what if they all got stoked on midwest emo-violence again. what a world that would be
CharlieBronson wrote: Things truly are sucklical in music