Bandcamp. Does it really work?

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

elliot.skram

Bandcamp. Does it really work?

Post by elliot.skram »

Hello there again! ;)

I would like to talk to you about Bandcamp.
In post-ussr locations bands don't often use this site for pr and selling,
besides in our area fans don't like buying releases.

What is the situation in your area? :?:
Bandcamp - Does it really work? :?:
Does the band earn money which enough for minimal support its activity? :?:
What are the main aspects of the work with Bandcamp? :?:

I will be grateful to your answers!

relaxiwontpost

Re: Bandcamp. Does it really work?

Post by relaxiwontpost »

I've never tried earning money through selling records, nor do I know anyone that does. I don't think this is very viable. records only really pay for records, and maybe most of the hours spent getting the records out there. tours pay for tours, merch pays for merch. getting a bit of a profit (enough to not be on tour 350 days a year) is viable though. but mostly I believe in tours paying for tours.

but take all of this with a grain of salt, since I'm not in a post-USSR country, and can't really talk too much about those. maybe try getting in contact with the guys from Optimus Prime, Spray Paint the Sun, I.Witness, Spray Paint the Sune, Mapadelmundo, Aspergers -- and Teleport Me, Johny. maybe even Don't Fuck With Colombus (Poland). and so on. there's a bunch of post-ussr skramz.

bands and labels I know, use bandcamp mostly because you get high-quality streaming, and then buying a record or cd is just a few click away. psychologically, it's easily justifiable. you hear this awesome song, and then the 12" is just two clicks and $10, so you jump on it.

I also really like that I'll get FLAC downloads at the same time, so then I don't have to bug the band or label about it (most bands and labels who don't use bandcamp, only give you download codes for MP3s).

elliot.skram

Re: Bandcamp. Does it really work?

Post by elliot.skram »

relaxiwontpost, :!:
thank you very much for your detailed opinion!