Late to the party, looking for a jumping off point

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

porkbrain

Late to the party, looking for a jumping off point

Post by porkbrain »

I'm interested in emo/skramz culture but don't really know where to begin. I've listened to metal my entire life, and never really gave anything else a chance. I used to listen to entry level emo like Sunny Day Real Estate back in 6th grade, and went through a little emo phase, but quickly grew out of it. A couple years ago I started getting into more experimental music, and now I listen to really anything, from metal I've always liked to indie rock. But if there was a single music scene I could be a part of, it would be post-hardcore/skramz/etc. I love the music, the feel, and the sense of community. I wish I got started earlier, since it seems to be a dying culture, but better late than never. Point is, I have no idea where to start with the underground scene. I want to get involved in my local DIY hardcore scene but there isn't really much except a single underground venue, The Milestone, that plays some stuff like that. Other than that I don't know where to look for underground music, how to support and find local artists, etc. I'm looking for some pointers to get started. Thanks for any help, glad to finally be a part of a board/community!

klefmop

Re: Late to the party, looking for a jumping off point

Post by klefmop »

for recent artists, they catalog is very thin. ostraca is sick. but i think thats the only screamo band i know of that is recent.

important to note that everything comes back in waves of ten years. first screamo wave was early nineties. then it came back in late 90's early 2000's, then reappeared in 2010-2013. in a few more years, this style of music will be "cool" again and sure you'll have to sift through a lot of posers (like all of us had to do with the topshelf records kids) but some good bands will come out of it. a band called мища was my favorite that came out of the 2010-2013 era. innards was cool, daido loori, etc.

the bands id recommend getting into to get your feet wet are orchid, jeromes dream (especially the split that they did together. HOLY GRAIL of screamo records) spirit of versailles, in loving memory, portrait, portraits of past, i have dreams and iwrotehaikusaboutcannibalisminyouryearbook. all those i would consider to be "crucial" screamo bands that will build your foundation.
my favorite screamo bands of all time are Sinking Steps...Rising Eyes, make me, and louise cyphre.

thisendlessbreath blogspot is INSANELY good for finding ridiculously obscure music once you dive down the rabbithole. found crazy releases on there. oh you skeleton demo, this ride home/naked corpse split, emergency numbers releases.
fight fair is also the most skramz band of all time. fair and square
thebigmin wrote:Screamo Will Never Die

-thebigmin

theironlotus

Post by theironlotus »

fight fair sucks and that's really all you need to know

brianutatx

Post by brianutatx »

Focus on European screamo:
Anomie, La Quiete, Daitro, Raein, Kaospilot, Suis La Lune are all good bands to start off with from Europe.