Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

User avatar
XlilchrisX
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:40 am

Re: Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Post by XlilchrisX »

openthenext wrote:
XlilchrisX wrote:Def v cringe in 2018. Lots of kids ripping bands off thinking nobody will notice. Zero originality, lots of rich kids and cops.
arent you in that eighteen visions band
Yeah. And we also have zero originality and are rich...we aren't cops tho

User avatar
Flowersintheattic
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:20 am
Contact:

Re: Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Post by Flowersintheattic »

XlilchrisX wrote:
openthenext wrote:
XlilchrisX wrote:Def v cringe in 2018. Lots of kids ripping bands off thinking nobody will notice. Zero originality, lots of rich kids and cops.
arent you in that eighteen visions band
Yeah. And we also have zero originality and are rich...we aren't cops tho
Not cops but fashion cops.
WE HAVE FROZEN EYES!

User avatar
CharlieBronson
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:26 am

Re: Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Post by CharlieBronson »

I have noticed a bunch of rich kids starting hardcore bands here in Melb.

They spend an equal amount of money on gear as they do vintage earth crisis & disembodied tees
CharlieBronson wrote: Things truly are sucklical in music

Tiger Shapes
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:07 am

Re: Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Post by Tiger Shapes »

CharlieBronson wrote:I have noticed a bunch of rich kids starting hardcore bands here in Melb.

They spend an equal amount of money on gear as they do vintage earth crisis & disembodied tees
needs to be a counter revolution

bring back Endut! Hoch Hech!

collector
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:02 am

Re: Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Post by collector »

Yeah this genre has seriously fallen off. A majority of bands in the genre only get popular because who is in them not necessarily if the music is good or not. SYSC, WMR ( the worst band ), foxtails all get popular because a ton of out of touch people hear them and are just like OMG i thought this style died years ago, remember saetia!. Screamo is an easy genre to be somewhat successful in the DIY scene. All you need to do is follow a checklist, standing up for marginalized people, "suicide is not a joke.", octave chords check norma jean panic chords check mediocre chugs near the end of the song or beginning check, and sprinkle a little bit of anarchist/socialist politik in...mmmm that's good 2019 skramz right there. If you do all those things people will like you no matter if you suck or not because they feel like they have to like you especially in this political climate.

There are a few good screamo bands hidden here and there, slow fire pistol and the new harmony come to mind. Personally i'd rather listen to Noise, or pop music rather than a bunch of bands from different states who all somehow have the same recycled personalities.

collector
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:02 am

Re: Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Post by collector »

i really hope that some of nolan's bands are getting clout by now.. that is actually responsible for making this shit cool with so many of these new gen, he was actually a really dope musician

User avatar
klefmop
Posts: 660
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Post by klefmop »

collector wrote:A majority of bands in the genre only get popular because who is in them not necessarily if the music is good or not. SYSC, WMR ( the worst band ), foxtails all get popular because a ton of out of touch people hear them and are just like OMG i thought this style died years ago
I disagree. Kids are starting to get into this genre bc they hear bands like WMR and THINK it’s screamo. They’re all kids who are jumping on from metalcore and think shitty metalcore is screamo/skramz. It’s legitimately the exact scenraio that happened in the early 2000’s where metalcore bands back then we’re being called screamo by kids who have no idea what they’re talking about.
collector wrote:Screamo is an easy genre to be somewhat successful in the DIY scene. All you need to do is follow a checklist, standing up for marginalized people, "suicide is not a joke.", octave chords check norma jean panic chords check mediocre chugs near the end of the song or beginning check, and sprinkle a little bit of anarchist/socialist politik in...mmmm that's good 2019 skramz right there. If you do all those things people will like you no matter if you suck or not because they feel like they have to like you especially in this political climate.
I disagree again. While octave chords do tend to automatically get kids riled up, panic chords are literally used in like .1% of screamo bands. I have dreams and life is a fight are the only two i can think of off the top of my head that uses them (LIAF uses one in the opening song off the demo) also what screamo bands (aside from IHD) uses chugs...? Again, these are all traits of metalcore, not screamo.

Kids have no idea what screamo is and just call anything that is labeled as such by websites and often times, the members of the bands themselves, screamo. Also they are 100% in it for the tshirts. Just so they can say on the internet (oh look what band i listen to)

I like to paraphrase a quote from “no we don’t have any t shirts” by orchid. “So buy another shirt from the band you can’t stand. But don’t you dare take a stand, don’t you dare take a stand”
Everyone’s first instinct upon hearing something new is to go to a merch swap forum and try and find a shirt. It’s confusing as hell. No one is into thinking outside of the box to form anything new or try a new sound. “Hardcore must remain kinetic to evolve” -iwrotehaikus

We’re not in a kinetic time of any music. We’re in a time of stagnation and as soon as everyone stops caring about buying shirts from bands they just heard two months ago and start caring about music, we’ll be good :-)
thebigmin wrote:Screamo Will Never Die

-thebigmin

User avatar
CharlieBronson
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:26 am

Re: Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Post by CharlieBronson »

klefmop wrote:
collector wrote:A majority of bands in the genre only get popular because who is in them not necessarily if the music is good or not. SYSC, WMR ( the worst band ), foxtails all get popular because a ton of out of touch people hear them and are just like OMG i thought this style died years ago
I disagree. Kids are starting to get into this genre bc they hear bands like WMR and THINK it’s screamo. They’re all kids who are jumping on from metalcore and think shitty metalcore is screamo/skramz. It’s legitimately the exact scenraio that happened in the early 2000’s where metalcore bands back then we’re being called screamo by kids who have no idea what they’re talking about.
collector wrote:Screamo is an easy genre to be somewhat successful in the DIY scene. All you need to do is follow a checklist, standing up for marginalized people, "suicide is not a joke.", octave chords check norma jean panic chords check mediocre chugs near the end of the song or beginning check, and sprinkle a little bit of anarchist/socialist politik in...mmmm that's good 2019 skramz right there. If you do all those things people will like you no matter if you suck or not because they feel like they have to like you especially in this political climate.
I disagree again. While octave chords do tend to automatically get kids riled up, panic chords are literally used in like .1% of screamo bands. I have dreams and life is a fight are the only two i can think of off the top of my head that uses them (LIAF uses one in the opening song off the demo) also what screamo bands (aside from IHD) uses chugs...? Again, these are all traits of metalcore, not screamo.

Kids have no idea what screamo is and just call anything that is labeled as such by websites and often times, the members of the bands themselves, screamo. Also they are 100% in it for the tshirts. Just so they can say on the internet (oh look what band i listen to)

I like to paraphrase a quote from “no we don’t have any t shirts” by orchid. “So buy another shirt from the band you can’t stand. But don’t you dare take a stand, don’t you dare take a stand”
Everyone’s first instinct upon hearing something new is to go to a merch swap forum and try and find a shirt. It’s confusing as hell. No one is into thinking outside of the box to form anything new or try a new sound. “Hardcore must remain kinetic to evolve” -iwrotehaikus

We’re not in a kinetic time of any music. We’re in a time of stagnation and as soon as everyone stops caring about buying shirts from bands they just heard two months ago and start caring about music, we’ll be good :-)

Great points here. Especially about the current stagnation of the skramz scene. I can only speak of the Australian skramz scene which has fallen off in the last year or so. While we still have a lot of active bands in the scene none are playing the "true" skramz sound besides maybe Gil Cerrone. No one has frantic vocal work. No one has done the high pitched kittencore sound since Endut Hoch Hech ended in 2017.

It's all skramzlite™ twinkle guitars with yelling vocals or its noisy hardcore labeling themselves as skramz because they wanna be the next SYSC. There's very little original, forward thinking music being made in the skramz community currently but skramz always has its cycles of popularity or waves if you will. It will be interesting to see who is still around in 2020 and how populated the scene will be

P.S. WMR are the biggest fucking pussies making the most unlistenable ever put to tape. I get longing for the glory days of skramz but they take thier "worship" to such copycat lengths it's embarrassing
CharlieBronson wrote: Things truly are sucklical in music

User avatar
pygmyprieta
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: .....................

Re: Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Post by pygmyprieta »

this thread reminds me of 'the wave' back in the day. Don't get me wrong, tons of fun to dunk on. I did my fair share of tearing down bands instead of pushing for good ones. I think the internet taught us all to rip on stuff and enjoy watching people trash other people's work.

People put out stuff and that's cool! Some bands are overhyped; find the cool ones that people need to know about.

Promote the good stuff, 'yo, this isn't for me' the not-so-good stuff.

User avatar
pygmyprieta
Posts: 382
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: .....................

Re: Screamo in 2018 - Cringey?

Post by pygmyprieta »

Not calling out anyone specifically. Carry on

Post Reply