help me plan my future

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

BROOTALPOODLE

help me plan my future

Post by BROOTALPOODLE »

the scene in my town sucks and we need a cooldad venue with cheap ass shows, i'm tired of paying 15 dollars to see an okay show with only a few good bands. so i am thinking about taking it upon myself to try to get one started. i dont give a fuck about it being diy, but that would be cool if it was. i'm only 17 so this is a long term goal, and i may change my mind in the future. for my senior project i want to learn how to set up a sound system and have a house show or record a bands e.p. or something like that just to get me an idea of what i need to do.

but yeah, basically what i'm asking for is if anyone has had any experience in this, or if they know what i need to do to get started, maybe some tips or something. i'm trying to find a technical college that can give me more training in how to work a soundboard like a pro, i want to go to college just so i know what i'm doing, do i need a major in business or something like that?
“I just want to change the way people look at music or maybe just destroy it in general.” -Justin Pearson

BROOTALPOODLE

Re: help me plan my future

Post by BROOTALPOODLE »

and if this all goes through i'd also somehow make this double as a practice space just to make some extra cash
“I just want to change the way people look at music or maybe just destroy it in general.” -Justin Pearson

Josefine

Post by Josefine »

to start setting up a house/basement venue, you really just need a PA Mixer and two speakers, and a couple of shure sm58's. Bands will have equipment. You could essentially start next payday.
We have a rehearsal room in town that we used to set up shows in, we've had la dispute, rabbit theory, le pre ou je suis mort, dolcim, merkit and a shitload of other totally nice bands play here, and it all went well, untill it had to stop, but we'll be able to set up better shows soon, thats great.
I would advice you to take some sound engineering course though, if you're totally blank, especially if you want it to be a little more.
We're not using satanic imagery to offend anyone... We're doing it to offend christians.

matt

Post by matt »

creating a venue is a terrible idea especially if you have no experience with anything having to do with it. if you want to book shows, find someone willing to let you use a basement and make sure that neighbors are either ok with it or it is quiet enough on the outside.

do not try and get a degree in some bullshit topic. it makes more sense to get a degree in something that is sought after and then try to get a job in something that you want. minor in sound engineering or whatever useless thing you want but major in something that will get you a real job.
Last edited by matt on Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CitizenOfUlysses

Post by CitizenOfUlysses »

Last edited by CitizenOfUlysses on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

iKichigai

Post by iKichigai »

matt wrote:creating a venue is a terrible idea especially if you have no experience with anything having to do with it. if you want to book shows, find someone willing to let you use a basement and make sure that neighbors are either ok with it or it is quiet enough on the outside.

do not try and get a degree in some bullshit topic. it makes more sense to get a degree in something that is sought after and then try to get a job in something that you want. minor in sound engineering or whatever useless thing you want but minor in something that will get you a real job.
実存は本質に先立つ。
http://www.myspace.com/caitlynbailey

BROOTALPOODLE

Post by BROOTALPOODLE »

why is opening a venue a bad idea, yeah it will be costly, but it would be a fun thing to do and i'd love to give bands a better place to play at in Wilmington than the soapbox, and have somewhere local with cheap ass shows. i'm not positive if i will ever go through with this, i'm still researching and weighing my options, i know that i have looked at career paths outside of music and i am yet to see anything that sounds like something i'd like to do for the rest of my life

Yetisnacks

Post by Yetisnacks »

matt wrote:do not try and get a degree in some bullshit topic. it makes more sense to get a degree in something that is sought after and then try to get a job in something that you want. minor in sound engineering or whatever useless thing you want but major in something that will get you a real job.

BROOTALPOODLE

Post by BROOTALPOODLE »

matt wrote:creating a venue is a terrible idea especially if you have no experience with anything having to do with it. if you want to book shows, find someone willing to let you use a basement and make sure that neighbors are either ok with it or it is quiet enough on the outside.

do not try and get a degree in some bullshit topic. it makes more sense to get a degree in something that is sought after and then try to get a job in something that you want. minor in sound engineering or whatever useless thing you want but major in something that will get you a real job.
now that i read this while the marijuana i have been smoking all afternoon has mostly worn off, this makes more sense i think.

i might just kill myself, that seems pretty cool

matt

Post by matt »

most people do not get to do what they want in real life. if you love what you do as a job then you are lucky as hell.

if you waste your money on a degree trying to use it for some kind of obscure thing you want to do with no chance of doing it, you will not only not end up with that job but you will never have a way to get a better job and you will work at walmart the rest of your life with a useless piece of paper.

if you get a degree for something that will actually make you money you can either use the money that you make from another job to get a degree in what you want and then change jobs or you can either use it to get a related job that you will enjoy that may not be exactly what the degree is for or apply for related jobs while also applying for jobs you want because you have nothing to lose and you can keep searching/building skills while still making money with another profession.

you dont want to start a venue because you will be in debt before you know it and may not even be able to pay for school because of it. venues never go anywhere. the only successful places ive ever know that have stayed around for a meaningfull amount of time have almost exclusively been something else first (cafe, record store, book store) and a venue second. it would probably be fun to take out a loan for thousands of dollars and go blow it all in vegas too but that is obviously not smart and pretty much what you would be doing.

also, you will not be bale ot have cheap shows. having to rent a space costs money and your only way to pay for it is to charge for shows. if you want actual cheap shows, keep them at peoples homes where it costs nothing to do them.