what's your favourite emo/screamo sound?

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

alexander

Post by alexander »

inspired by Alex's Midwest screamo thread,

personally, I value Indian Summer's Blue Universe LP as the definite emo record. nothing represents the sound in a similarly cracking manner, in my opinion. glorious record. also well worth mentioning is iwrotehaikusaboutcannibalisminyouryearbook's breath taking LP, and all its brilliance.

(I also have a really soft spot for jangly emo like Evergreen, Don Quichote, The Pine, Build Nest Sleep etc.)

don't get me wrong. I like bands of all styles (and not just emo/screamo, obviously). Mineral, I Hate Myself and mamma, jeg blör are examples of distinctly different but equally awesome bands I love. but right now I'm just talking about a general sound that attracts you in some manner.
Last edited by alexander on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebigmin

Re: what's your favourite emo/screamo sound?

Post by thebigmin »

for emo?

I'd have to go for September.... The 10" and compilation song are probably my favorite emo releases EVER

Screamo....Definitely the super crybaby stuff high pitched screams like spirit of versailles, sinking steps...rising eyes 7" ETC.

lastcity

Post by lastcity »

For emo I like just about everything. Can't really pick a favorite there. Maybe bands like The Hated and the Pine.

For screamo, I like that super crybaby/cheesy shit. spirit of versailles, in loving memory, toru okada, you and i, khayembii communique etc etc

for the indie bands, anything goes here too, but any kinsella stuff and pennsylvania sounding stuff is rad.
Last edited by lastcity on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wounderaser

Post by wounderaser »

emo - cap'n jazz, american football, more of the mathy-intricate type emo. newer examples would be street smart cyclist, snowing, etc.

screamo - it would have to be the more aggressive, heavier, avantguarde types of screamo, like pg. 99 (favorite band for the past 5-6 years and will be for a long time) jeromes dream (presents has some of the best guitar riffs ever), usurp synapse (every record is a gem), mostly witching hour stuff. lately it's been mathy/intricate inspired stuff, with tons of pretty chords and harmonies.. kidcrash, loma prieta, suis la lune, raein. beautiful compositions.

i'm a sucker for "off-time" pretty stuff.

hjördis

Post by hjördis »

wounderaser wrote:emo - cap'n jazz, american football, more of the mathy-intricate type emo. newer examples would be street smart cyclist, snowing, etc.
as for emo, this.

as for screamo, I like the City of Caterpillar, sort of "post-rock" (dislike the term) screamo sound.
I sort of have nothing to say and if I did, I'd say nothing at all.

mulder

Post by mulder »

Indian Summer's Live On Blue Universe LP is THE definitive emo record, as far as I'm concerned. A cut above everything else.
there is no happy here

marcypark

Post by marcypark »

thebigmin wrote:
Screamo....Definitely the super crybaby stuff high pitched screams like spirit of versailles, sinking steps...rising eyes 7" ETC.
exactly this

heartsXdivide

Post by heartsXdivide »

thebigmin wrote:Screamo....Definitely the super crybaby stuff high pitched screams like spirit of versailles, sinking steps...rising eyes 7" ETC.
this and im a big fan of the chaos & melodic sound like youandi, the orchid s/t, toru okada, joshua fit for battle etc.

dalamar501

Post by dalamar501 »

indian summer and i hate myself for emo

then ampere / orchid on the other side.

Jakey LIAF

Post by Jakey LIAF »

fast-strummed, clean parts = best.
thebigmin wrote:with a skull split economy like we have right now, this is inevitable