shoegaze thread

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

alexander

shoegaze thread

Post by alexander »

talk about the shoegaze sound/scene, or discuss/recommend bands you like, or whatever.

I am currently listening to This Empty Flows's Magenta Skycode. they sound a lot like The Cure's Disintegration. in other words, they are simply amazing, and must be heard. downhearted goth shoegaze that somehow got criminally overlooked. they were in a funeral doom band called Thergothon, and this release probably benefit a lot from that. there's some great ambient parts in here. they do some really great work in creating moods, so the album is interesting from start to finish. they only put out this one album, which sucks, because it's really good. FFO: The Cure, Safehouses on Fire, Cocteau Twins & Mogwai.

here are two songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTrUm5WXhBY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-CZ4lrJ_D8

there. that's just as fine a way to start a shoegaze thread as any. go, go.
Last edited by alexander on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

neck_cannon

Re: shoegaze thread

Post by neck_cannon »

Into the Cocteau twins comparison.

I've been listneing to Mr Blind Jones a LOT lately:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceE8HfrYiX8

loveinathens

Post by loveinathens »

What does everyone think of Amusement Parks On Fire's Road Eyes?

neck_cannon

Post by neck_cannon »

Tell me what you think of it first... as I'm listening to it for the first time.

loveinathens

Post by loveinathens »

It grew on me but I don't think I'll consider it a favorite anytime soon. Whereas I do believe Out Of The Angeles to be a classic in its own right, its no use comparing the two because of the change in sound. If OOTA was epic, sweeping and a tad grandiose in feel, Road Eyes felt like more of a straightforward endeavor. They're good for what they're supposed to be but I still prefer OOTA. Then again, I have been listening to a lot more of Road Eyes lately so I really can't say.

neck_cannon

Post by neck_cannon »

This is the only album of this band that I've heard and it has a more straight forward sound to me. Second track reminds me of the Silversun Pickups.

loveinathens

Post by loveinathens »

neck_cannon wrote:This is the only album of this band that I've heard and it has a more straight forward sound to me. Second track reminds me of the Silversun Pickups.
Get Out Of The Angeles and see if it does anything different for you.

alexander

Post by alexander »

I like epic-sounding shoegaze. this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm7S6eGDPvY being perhaps my favourite such. so I'm currently listening to Out of Angeles. I've only heard fractions of Amusement Parks on Fire's first album prior to this. I remember it as quite boring. perhaps I remember it wrong. oh, well.

this album is in any event very inviting thus far. the guitars are pretty cool. vocals are ok too. when it comes to shoegaze I like vocals that are either low in the mix or otherwise not standing out. I really like stuff that's mixed so that it's like it's all just one sound. (not really shoegaze, but check Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson's latest album for a perfect example of this.) wish this had more feedback/a louder touch though... it's a little too clean. but pretty cool nonetheless. at least thus far.

alexander

Post by alexander »

vocals remind me of Daniel Johns, by the way.

loveinathens

Post by loveinathens »

alexander wrote:I like epic-sounding shoegaze. this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm7S6eGDPvY being perhaps my favourite such. so I'm currently listening to Out of Angeles. I've only heard fractions of Amusement Parks on Fire's first album prior to this. I remember it as quite boring. perhaps I remember it wrong. oh, well.

this album is in any event very inviting thus far. the guitars are pretty cool. vocals are ok too. when it comes to shoegaze I like vocals that are either low in the mix or otherwise not standing out. I really like stuff that's mixed so that it's like it's all just one sound. (not really shoegaze, but check Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson's latest album for a perfect example of this.) wish this had more feedback/a louder touch though... it's a little too clean. but pretty cool nonetheless. at least thus far.
Not a huge fan of APOF's first album either.