CMHWAK FOREIGNERS - RE: ENGLISH

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

Jakey LIAF

CMHWAK FOREIGNERS - RE: ENGLISH

Post by Jakey LIAF »

so what's the logic behind being in a band in a foreign country yet using a non-native tongue for lyrics? i mean, the effort is certainly appreciated, but you kind of make us look like uneducated shitbags. which we are.
thebigmin wrote:with a skull split economy like we have right now, this is inevitable

loveinathens

Re: CMHWAK FOREIGNERS - RE: ENGLISH

Post by loveinathens »

English is sort of a de facto second language here. That and I learned how to speak English first.

alexander

Post by alexander »

I don't see the point in writing lyrics in a language that ~0.0005% of the world understands, and about the same percentage of which would ever even begin to care about the type of music I make.

smfy

Post by smfy »

Shit sounds cooler when I don't understand it. Stop singing in english.

loveinathens

Post by loveinathens »

smfy wrote:Shit sounds cooler when I don't understand it. Stop singing in english.
If we took the lyric sheets away from 75% of all the screamo bands out there, would there be much of a difference?

Heide

Post by Heide »

It's SO much easier writing lyrics in English than writing them in Dutch, and it sounds really weird if you scream Dutch shit.

We plan on doing at least 1 Dutch song though

yakbiddalz

Post by yakbiddalz »

The French seem pretty reluctant to use English :lol:

Heide

Post by Heide »

yakbiddalz wrote:The French seem pretty reluctant to use English :lol:
Heh well in my experience, the French generally dont speak english very well. Its pretty much impossible to communicate with the French on festivals. That, and they seem sort of proud of their language and it does sound kinda cool in songs

Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Heide wrote:It's SO much easier writing lyrics in English than writing them in Dutch, and it sounds really weird if you scream Dutch shit.

We plan on doing at least 1 Dutch song though
Dutch is absolutely horrible to sing in almost any genre apart from popish shit. Shikari managed to do it to some extent but you can hear they still need to rhyme in order for it to work, something that isn't necessary with English. Also, personally, I can express myself much better in English. I assume that applies to a lot of people who write English lyrics despite being foreign. But I think the biggest reason is the language itself not being compatible since I've never seen a Belgian band sing in Dutch(apart from Shikari). A lot of people such as the French or the Japanese are also just horrible at learning English so as a result you hear a ton of screamo and hardcore in their own language.

BROOTALPOODLE

Post by BROOTALPOODLE »

Heide wrote:
yakbiddalz wrote:The French seem pretty reluctant to use English :lol:
Heh well in my experience, the French generally dont speak english very well. Its pretty much impossible to communicate with the French on festivals. That, and they seem sort of proud of their language and it does sound kinda cool in songs
my friend had two french exchange students stay at his house (one was black) and i had no idea what they were saying half the time. i met two girls, one from sweden, one from spain, and they had almost perfect american accents.
“I just want to change the way people look at music or maybe just destroy it in general.” -Justin Pearson