CMHWAK FOREIGNERS - RE: ENGLISH

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

buckytoole

Re: CMHWAK FOREIGNERS - RE: ENGLISH

Post by buckytoole »

it's probably because everyone speaks english...

RockTheFuckOut

Post by RockTheFuckOut »

There is something about how english is punctuated that makes it a better choice for singing/screaming IMO. I speak multiple languages, but still find english is the best universal choice. My band only uses english for vocals, even though we come from different backgrounds. There is still something about listening to french skramz when I have no idea what hes saying.. Rock on my multi-cultured brothers, rock on...

O)))

Post by O))) »

I'm French and first time I heard French skram I thought it was pretty funny, then I got used to it and now love it. Usually I'm not a huge fan of music in French.

LeandroBR

Post by LeandroBR »

Heide wrote:It's SO much easier writing lyrics in English than writing them in Dutch, and it sounds really weird if you scream Dutch shit.

We plan on doing at least 1 Dutch song though
I back this up. Singing in portuguese sounds really weird. Here in Brazil it's almost official that english is the language for a lot of types of music.
Fuck the pop culture.

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

Cool thread. I appreciate it both ways. It's cool to hear stuff in other languages, and it's also sometimes funny to hear non-natives write and perform in English.

Couple of things though:

Jake, how does this make Americans look bad?

Other guy, French is not that different at all. I don't see any other bands from romance language countries having a problem with this. There are tons of bands out there coming from backgrounds that use way weirder languages and non-Roman alphabets, so if they can do it, so can the French. Truth is, the French (and I don't mean all francophones, I mean literally French) are insular and provincial sociopaths who wouldn't dare think to communicate with others in any other language. They're like the British, but without the subtlety.

yakbiddalz

Post by yakbiddalz »

Pete > You wrote:Cool thread. I appreciate it both ways. It's cool to hear stuff in other languages, and it's also sometimes funny to hear non-natives write and perform in English.

Couple of things though:

Other guy, French is not that different at all. I don't see any other bands from romance language countries having a problem with this. There are tons of bands out there coming from backgrounds that use way weirder languages and non-Roman alphabets, so if they can do it, so can the French. Truth is, the French (and I don't mean all francophones, I mean literally French) are insular and provincial sociopaths who wouldn't dare think to communicate with others in any other language. They're like the British, but without the subtlety.
Agreed to a certain extent but written alphabet really has nothing to do with how "un-English" a language sounds when it's spoken. As far as the Romance languages go, French is easily the most distinguishable one. It's far more guttural and the rules regarding spoken phonetics are much more vague than Italian, Spanish, or Portuguese.

A funny example of terrible misuse of English is Suis La Lune. I recall one lyric as being, "The words get stucks in throat" or something along those lines :P still amazing though.

Eliteskramz

Post by Eliteskramz »

As for sweden, english is a core subject up until university-level. so everyone basically has to take it. and as someone said, we dont dub any of our TV (apart from children TV ofc)

another country that has shitty english is italy, when i was on vacation there, i spent a day or two i rome. i dont think i met a single person who i could have a conversation with in english that day. raein manages to pull it off thought

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

yakbiddalz wrote:
Pete > You wrote:Cool thread. I appreciate it both ways. It's cool to hear stuff in other languages, and it's also sometimes funny to hear non-natives write and perform in English.

Couple of things though:

Agreed to a certain extent but written alphabet really has nothing to do with how "un-English" a language sounds when it's spoken. As far as the Romance languages go, French is easily the most distinguishable one. It's far more guttural and the rules regarding spoken phonetics are much more vague than Italian, Spanish, or Portuguese.

A funny example of terrible misuse of English is Suis La Lune. I recall one lyric as being, "The words get stucks in throat" or something along those lines :P still amazing though.
Sorry, "gut feelings" don't cut it. I don't mean to be rude, but you don't seem to have much understanding about language whatsoever but are pretending to on the internet.

Can you dig up a non-Latin alphabet language that even has moderately similar spoken conventions to English? The example was meant to convey an extreme, which I think would have been obvious if you weren't on this bizarre hard-on quest for French being this mysteriously opaque thing that it clearly isn't.

yakbiddalz

Post by yakbiddalz »

"Gut feelings"? :lol: check yaself brah. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

mediawhore

Post by mediawhore »

Eliteskramz wrote:As for sweden, english is a core subject up until university-level. so everyone basically has to take it. and as someone said, we dont dub any of our TV (apart from children TV ofc)

another country that has shitty english is italy, when i was on vacation there, i spent a day or two i rome. i dont think i met a single person who i could have a conversation with in english that day. raein manages to pull it off thought
same goes in Denmark, your learning english very early in the school process.

well i do appreciate lyrics in another language but I find it easier to write lyrics in english, still my band force me to keep the lyrics danish :P.
I really love the french language it is like its really fits screamo music, and it is generally fun to hear songs in languages you've never heard before