CMHWAK FOREIGNERS - RE: ENGLISH

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

VitiligoJackson

Re: CMHWAK FOREIGNERS - RE: ENGLISH

Post by VitiligoJackson »

metrokosmiko wrote:i've always written my lyrics in spanish. languages are built around its speakers' way of percieving reality, so i wouldn't sing (or scream) in some language that describes a reality other than mine.

i've always though la quiete manages to sound completely rad screaming in their native tongue.
if you're into quantum mechanics then you'd know that even in the same language phrases are constructed to express one's reality while never actually being able to portray it in it's fullest so the language barrier is no more than a perception barrier which essentially is no different weather you live down the street or across the planet.
CitizenOfUlysses wrote:
If vitiligojackson says it's good, it's almost def good.

metrokosmiko

Post by metrokosmiko »

VitiligoJackson wrote:
metrokosmiko wrote:i've always written my lyrics in spanish. languages are built around its speakers' way of percieving reality, so i wouldn't sing (or scream) in some language that describes a reality other than mine.

i've always though la quiete manages to sound completely rad screaming in their native tongue.
if you're into quantum mechanics then you'd know that even in the same language phrases are constructed to express one's reality while never actually being able to portray it in it's fullest so the language barrier is no more than a perception barrier which essentially is no different weather you live down the street or across the planet.
if the language barrier is a perception barrier, then different languages imply different perceptions. so if you live across the planet you will probably speak another language, built upon a different perception, due to a different geography, weather, history and whatnot than mine. you know, there are languages that don't have a word for snow, because there is no such thing as snow where the people who speak it live. the fact that subjectivity is inherent in discourse has little or nothing to do with it IMO. still, it's not an impediment when it comes to writing lyrics. but it's only natural that i can express myself more naturally in my own tongue.

and i'm not into quantum mechanics, but thank you.

VitiligoJackson

Post by VitiligoJackson »

i think you missed my point i wasn't discrediting anything you said i was simply stating that perception varies entity to entity. language is nothing more than humanity's attempt at tangibly describing intangible emotions. for example i say the word happiness and your brain automatically associates it with your past experiences of happiness and what your perception of happiness is never knowing what happiness is to me therefore gaining nothing from it. language, english or not is irrelevant in understanding another's perspective.
CitizenOfUlysses wrote:
If vitiligojackson says it's good, it's almost def good.

Heide

Post by Heide »

I would like to add that in Russia, there's no word for foot just for leg. Or maybe it was hand and arm. Or knee.

metrokosmiko

Post by metrokosmiko »

VitiligoJackson wrote:i think you missed my point i wasn't discrediting anything you said i was simply stating that perception varies entity to entity. language is nothing more than humanity's attempt at tangibly describing intangible emotions. for example i say the word happiness and your brain automatically associates it with your past experiences of happiness and what your perception of happiness is never knowing what happiness is to me therefore gaining nothing from it. language, english or not is irrelevant in understanding another's perspective.
i agree.

i didn't think you were dissing me, it just seemed to me like we were talking different topics, but i get it now :)