CMHWAK FOREIGNERS - RE: ENGLISH

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

Heide

Re: CMHWAK FOREIGNERS - RE: ENGLISH

Post by Heide »

BROOTALPOODLE wrote:
Heide wrote:
yakbiddalz wrote:The French seem pretty reluctant to use English :lol:
Heh well in my experience, the French generally dont speak english very well. Its pretty much impossible to communicate with the French on festivals. That, and they seem sort of proud of their language and it does sound kinda cool in songs
my friend had two french exchange students stay at his house (one was black) and i had no idea what they were saying half the time. i met two girls, one from sweden, one from spain, and they had almost perfect american accents.
Generally people from Belgium and everything north of it speak good English (apart from Poland, and Germans tend to suck at it too). Not sure about Spanish people, theyre usually not very fluent in my experience but they can get around at least
Wraith wrote:
Heide wrote:It's SO much easier writing lyrics in English than writing them in Dutch, and it sounds really weird if you scream Dutch shit.

We plan on doing at least 1 Dutch song though
Dutch is absolutely horrible to sing in almost any genre apart from popish shit. Shikari managed to do it to some extent but you can hear they still need to rhyme in order for it to work, something that isn't necessary with English. Also, personally, I can express myself much better in English. I assume that applies to a lot of people who write English lyrics despite being foreign. But I think the biggest reason is the language itself not being compatible since I've never seen a Belgian band sing in Dutch(apart from Shikari). A lot of people such as the French or the Japanese are also just horrible at learning English so as a result you hear a ton of screamo and hardcore in their own language.

Yeah, thats what I meant too :lol:

yakbiddalz

Post by yakbiddalz »

Tell me about it. My sister had a French exchange student at our house a few years back, I don't think she was even trying to speak English. I once read an article about how the French were rated the "world's worst tourists" one reason being the language issue. I've met a lot of Germans who speak flawless English. But in all fairness, French pronunciation is far different.

Heide

Post by Heide »

yakbiddalz wrote:But in all fairness, French pronunciation is far different.
That's hardly the issue. Dutch pronunciation is way different from English, as is pretty much every European language.
The biggest problem in France and Germany is that TV shows and movies are dubbed with French and German, whereas in the Netherlands (and I think in Sweden, Denmark etc too) all movies are still in English, with Dutch subtitles. Also, in the Netherlands EVERYONE gets English in school for 2 years or more. In France it's an optional course (at least thats what a French dude told me), and in Germany only people attending "higher" levels of education get mandatory English

yakbiddalz

Post by yakbiddalz »

Heide wrote:
That's hardly the issue. Dutch pronunciation is way different from English, as is pretty much every European language.
The biggest problem in France and Germany is that TV shows and movies are dubbed with French and German, whereas in the Netherlands (and I think in Sweden, Denmark etc too) all movies are still in English, with Dutch subtitles. Also, in the Netherlands EVERYONE gets English in school for 2 years or more. In France it's an optional course (at least thats what a French dude told me), and in Germany only people attending "higher" levels of education get mandatory English
Interesting. I'm not too well versed in how the education systems work over in Europe, but English, Dutch and German are all Germanic languages, French is in a totally different language family. that must play SOME kind of a role.

Heide

Post by Heide »

yakbiddalz wrote:
Heide wrote:
Interesting. I'm not too well versed in how the education systems work over in Europe, but English, Dutch and German are all Germanic languages, French is in a totally different language family. that must play SOME kind of a role.
In origin English is Germanic, yeah, but anyone who speaks both a Germanic language and English knows that nowadays English barely shows any traces of Germanic. I dont think its harder to learn English if your mother language is French rather than a Germanic language, but the situation in the "Germanic" countries are better to learn English (i.e. English spoken TV shows etc)
Last edited by Heide on Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chewing tinfoil

Post by chewing tinfoil »

english because flemmish sounds too corny

Wraith

Post by Wraith »

chewing tinfoil wrote:english because flemmish sounds too corny
Are you also Flemish? I'm from Blankenberge/Brugge.

Arkaic

Post by Arkaic »

I wish I can write and speak more of my mother language (Cantonese) so I could start the first skramz band with chinese lyrics.

Even though chinese would sound horribly corny

iKichigai

Post by iKichigai »

English is easier to write.
実存は本質に先立つ。
http://www.myspace.com/caitlynbailey

forzamadrid

Post by forzamadrid »

English is our country's second language, so it's assumed everyone here is supposed to at least understand it. People assume you're smart or rich when you're good at English in here.
literature as masturbatory paraphernalia.