"i spoke" - what is it about canadians eh?

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

plagueship

"i spoke" - what is it about canadians eh?

Post by plagueship »

I Spoke - Autobiography
http://www.mediafire.com/?g2lgudmddwn

only the latest of many great double stop warriors from up north that i have come to cherish. ignore the pc political blah blah talky parts, this band is everything diy hardcore was supposed to be. it got me thinking for the 100th time: what the hell is it about canada, particularly eastern canada and their amazing bands? the whole legacy of one eyed god prophecy, uranus and all that scene, plus shotmaker from the same town as i spoke, plus buried inside still out destroying minds, plus all the influence this scene had on bands like orchid and to dream of autumn... these are basically the only kinds of hc/screamo bands i listen to anymore.

if you add in leonard cohen and constellation records montreal is pretty much the center of my musical universe, would love to move there someday. not sure how keen they are on yanks moving up.

wounderaser

Re: "i spoke" - what is it about canadians eh?

Post by wounderaser »

one of the guy's from i spoke is now in "titan". they are also an incredible band. they put out a split with june paik a few years back. my friend's old band from newfoundland (where i live) did a split with i spoke actually. they were called beaumont hamel. pretty cool.
i'm proud to be from canada, knowing that all of this stuff has came out from here.
Last edited by wounderaser on Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexander

Post by alexander »

someone post Friends not Fans. after my hdd crash it went missing and I couldn't find it.

thebigmin

Post by thebigmin »

love i spoke...their vocal production was a big influence on the later seeing means more recordings we did

amountainfar

Post by amountainfar »

funny that you say you should ignore the PC parts because that's all they wanted to talk about. that band split the DIY scene in Toronto wide open before they broke up. "You're with us or against us." was definitely the motto for a while.

personally, I prefer their older material with Theo singing. I still have some in my distro if anyone wants to snag something.

Also, Theo the originally singer went on to do Strawman Fallacy which got me into screamo, seriously violent and amazing stuff

http://www.myspace.com/strawmanfallacy

ifp

Post by ifp »

amountainfar wrote:funny that you say you should ignore the PC parts because that's all they wanted to talk about. that band split the DIY scene in Toronto wide open before they broke up. "You're with us or against us." was definitely the motto for a while.

personally, I prefer their older material with Theo singing. I still have some in my distro if anyone wants to snag something.

Also, Theo the originally singer went on to do Strawman Fallacy which got me into screamo, seriously violent and amazing stuff

http://www.myspace.com/strawmanfallacy

i was actually going to mention this. if you want to "ignore the pc political talky parts" then you're not really interested in what the band has to say at all. so why would you call them "everything diy hardcore should be"? Leah was an awesome vocalist, on point with her ideas and delivery.

plagueship

Post by plagueship »

because believe it or not, diy hardcore is supposed to have dumb political talky parts! you take the good with the bad i guess, no one wants to be 'generic' and yet genres persist around shared characteristics.

as for how i can like a band's music without caring about their 'message' - really, i am i "with or against" you too? as if it should need to be said, the meaning of any creative work is not the "meaning" or "message" the creators try to put into it but what others walk away with. unless theres a penalty for enjoying something the wrong way?

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

plagueship wrote:because believe it or not, diy hardcore is supposed to have dumb political talky parts!
I can't tell if this is serious or not.

plagueship

Post by plagueship »

well look at it this way. do you see that as being a true statement or not?

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

Not at all.