bands running "pledge drives" to make albums

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

Jakey LIAF

bands running "pledge drives" to make albums

Post by Jakey LIAF »

i'm assuming this kind of stuff probably goes on outside of athens, but i got a facebook invite courtesy of a band i've never heard of to donate money so they can press an album on vinyl. this is not the first case of this i've heard, either.

maybe i'm just being a shit dick, but does this seem COMPLETELY off base to anyone else? i don't think i've had any musician friends ever start a campaign to donate money to a band without getting anything in return. granted, those guys have raised like a hundred bucks in their first day so obviously not everyone feels like i do...but yeah.

sorry, this kinda strays away from traditional CMHWAK topics.
thebigmin wrote:with a skull split economy like we have right now, this is inevitable

wounderaser

Re: bands running "pledge drives" to make albums

Post by wounderaser »

i think this falls under the same category as "tour fundraisers" people are gonna argue about it, none the less.

that goes to say, i would never have a tour fundraiser or record fundraiser for anyone. DIYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Pete > You

Post by Pete > You »

It's pretty ridiculous (tour and pressing donations), but it's a symptom of the state of music now. Everyone wants to be in a band, no one wants to see bands. I thought this was starting to go away but I guess not.

...what constitutes a traditional CMHWAK post?

marcypark

Post by marcypark »

I can't stand when bands expect people to just hand them money to tour or press merch or vinyl or what not.. Get another job and DIY.

alexander

Post by alexander »

idk. if someone would finance a tour, and I (and a band) could go through with it and play lots of free shows and not worry about gas money or anything, it would rule. same if someone paid for us to press some 12", and we could then proceed to hand them out for free.

Jakey LIAF

Post by Jakey LIAF »

alexander wrote:idk. if someone would finance a tour, and I (and a band) could go through with it and play lots of free shows and not worry about gas money or anything, it would rule. same if someone paid for us to press some 12", and we could then proceed to hand them out for free.
that would be different, if you were giving the records out for free...but i'm positive these guys will be turning around and selling 'em.
thebigmin wrote:with a skull split economy like we have right now, this is inevitable

alexander

Post by alexander »

oh. that's lame. if they have no expenses to recover, they have no legitimate reason to charge money for it... the only reason I can think of is greed. if that's the case, I'm assuming their "objects d'art" aren't especially interesting either, considering they have been created with the intention of not having to get a job, instead of say, joy, love or searching for a creative outlet etc.

the more I think about it, the lamer it sounds. those guys must be super lame!

Eric

Post by Eric »

this is retarded but also a moot point because bands should never be focused on selling music. selling music in 2010? what a joke. music is no longer a commodity - it is promotional material for selling tickets to shows. bands should be funding their own recordings, distributing them on the internet for free, and hope that they put out good enough music to draw people to their shows.