who plays *unusual* acoustic music?

Do whatever you want here. Anything goes. (EDIT: July 2020, board is back up and working!)

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

plagueship

who plays *unusual* acoustic music?

Post by plagueship »

and i don't mean acoustic guitar emo or whatever most of you are probably going to start talking about - judging from the fact that there was a 'folk' thread that went to 6 pages without talking about any actual folk music i'm not too optimistic, but...

i play the fiddle and i fucking love it. the reason i thought to post this to skramz board is that i started getting into balkan music and playing in 7/8 a lot and shit. it occurred to me it's so weird that most of what we think of "normal" music is only counted in multiples of 2 or 3 because you could really use any prime number (indian classical music goes up to 23 or something i think? also their number of notes in an octave is similarly large and crazy). but anyway then i realized that these were like the "spazzy" rhythms i used to use playing in screamo bands years ago and we thought we were so 'innovative' and 'experimental' and shit and now i realize the rest of the world discovered this eons ago and has already been awesome at it for centuries before tube amps existed; mind=blown. why even bother with skramz?! jk (kinda) but if you're interested in what i'm talking about, taraf de haidouks and a hawk and hacksaw would be my top recommendations for bands that are awesome and easy to find on mediafire etc.

so who else plays weird acoustic shit?
Last edited by plagueship on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abel

Re: who plays *unusual* acoustic music?

Post by Abel »

I live in balkans. IT'S AWESOME.
:|

plagueship

Post by plagueship »

i suppose it's cold comfort when living in such a fucked up place, but i think the musical traditions that come out of there are so incredible, it is a kind of cultural wealth of folk-artistic genius that north america (where i live) has never produced, maybe nowhere.... i don't know but i just love it... where in balkans?

CitizenOfUlysses

Post by CitizenOfUlysses »

Last edited by CitizenOfUlysses on Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abel

Post by Abel »

plagueship wrote:i suppose it's cold comfort when living in such a fucked up place, but i think the musical traditions that come out of there are so incredible, it is a kind of cultural wealth of folk-artistic genius that north america (where i live) has never produced, maybe nowhere.... i don't know but i just love it... where in balkans?
Yes, the music is pretty cool, although you're kind of hillybilly around here if you listen to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNlAnUXsf0Y this. rules the fuck out of everything. Watch the time of gypsies also, it's the most balkan movie ever.

plagueship

Post by plagueship »

hey, thanks for the tip! i've seen "black cat white cat" and "gadjo dilo" and loved them both. i can kinda play that song "bubamara" that they play a couple times in BCWC. can't find that movie on netflix though...

brianutatx

Post by brianutatx »

Black cat white cat rules but isn't that movie from Romania ? What would I know though I'm just another American Gadjo.

plagueship

Post by plagueship »

yes, what are you saying? romania is part of the balkans...

saysomething

Post by saysomething »

this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but i've always loved joan of arcs acoustic songs because their awkward time signature and key changes and interesting riff compositions not to mention the thought provoking lyrics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CR6l2jzAPc

so much <3

xmoonxhowlerx

Post by xmoonxhowlerx »

It is not Romanian, it is Serbian. I'm from Serbia btw.

Hehe, whenever folkish stuff is mentioned next to screamo, I remember Tristan Tzara and the song "Come on Jane"...originally it is a folk song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQn2l-DGCQ4