stagnation

Aka the "PC Zone"

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

gargamel

stagnation

Post by gargamel »

So one of the main reasons I wanted this subforum to exist is that over the last few years, I've become less and less active. Like a lot of people, I started politics as a crikethinc anarchist in highschool, and gradually went on to learn theory and analyze things deeper than "dumpster diving will save the world".

Eventually I got into green anarchism and started seeing civilization as the root of our problems. And for q while, I acted on it. I taught and attendedprimitive skillshares, stocked my infotable with anticiv zines, and started looking towards some day developing a self-sufficient way of life. Somewhere along the way, I've just lost hope.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that if all of civilization is unsustainable, there's nothing we can do. Humanity will never turn its back on that, so all we can do is hope that everything crashes sooner than later. And from that perspective, its perfectly okay to sit back and watch all kinds of fucked up shit happen and do nothing about it.

I don't think this is exclusive to the anticiv perspective. Tons of anarchist/radical kids stop acting on their beliefs due to a lack of motivation and a perceived lack of change affected from their actions. I guess I'm writing this partly in inspiration from neck_cannon, when he mantioned talking about our feelings. This has been bothering me and I wanted to see what others had to say about it.

Some things I've started doing to feel less stagnant recently (and many of these are far from political. They just lake me feel better about myself) are: started writing graffiti again, started booking shows again (these include benefits), started writing a zine on this subject, and I've been discussing with a friend how we can combat religion in our area, since we both see that as one of the biggest problems in society.

Anyway, anyone else share similar sentiments? what do you do to feel like your not a part of the problem? Or how to you keep from feeling depressed about your inaction?

Phil

Re: stagnation

Post by Phil »

gargamel wrote: I've been discussing with a friend how we can combat religion in our area, since we both see that as one of the biggest problems in society.
I'm interested, can you elaborate?

I ask because I can understand why you would see religion as a basis for all hate and exclusion in our society, but I'm afraid I would have to disagree. Exclusionary behavior and hate are tools that developed with evolution as a means of protection. I don't want to sit here and lecture you on evolution, since based on your post I'm sure that you're as aware of it as I am, but essentially "open minded" animals (ex. Dolphins attempting to befriend sharks) tend to get eaten, and exclusionary animals (ex. Dolphins who get the fuck out of there) tend to live and pass on their exclusionary genes.

What I'm saying I guess is that religion isn't the cause of hate, but merely an acceptable medium for it in our modern society, and if religion were to go away bigots will simply find an alternative tool. I hope that I'm not misinterpreting what you meant by your post, I know I made an assumption, and I hope I made it correctly. Either way, I would like you to elavorate.

And by the way, jaded and stagnant beyond belief :D
brianutatx wrote:You are just a wiener rock apologist. Down with wiener rock occupation and down with Topshelf!

gargamel

Re: stagnation

Post by gargamel »

I guess that in addition to all the explicitly evil shit that religion drives people to do, it just stands out as something that makes absolutely Jo sense in today's world. We've advanced to the point scientifically that archaic beliefs in gods and heavens and helps should be long in our past. I guess that's one of the reasons it has always stuck out amongst other issues to me: the fact that its so easy to see right through. I mean....invisible all powerful sky-dweller. Nuff said.

And even if we assume that being exclusionary is an inherent trait in humans, I think its safe to say that religion has historically been an extraordinarily had manifestation of it. Going to bed, rather than type more on my phone lol.