ELECTION YEAR

Aka the "PC Zone"

Moderators: neck_cannon, thebigmin, steven, Andrew

ELECTION YEAR

Postby CitizenOfUlysses » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:42 pm

OBAMA BREAKS CAMPAIGN PROMISES AND KILLS KIDS WITH DRONES AND CALLS THEM TERRORISTS

ROMNEY IS ROMNEY

GARY JOHNSON HAS GREAT STANCES ON EVERYTHING EXCEPT FOR ANYTHING ECONOMY RELATED BC HE IS A LIBERTARIAN AND LIBERTARIANS ARE EVIL

THE GREEN PARTY DOESN'T HAVE A CHANCE, SORRY JILL STEIN

WHO ARE YOU LOSERS VOTING FOR? DON'T FORGET, YOU CAN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT HOW SHITTY THINGS GET UNLESS YOU GET OUT TO THAT BOOTH
thievesguild wrote:old enough to skram...old enough to ram.
User avatar
CitizenOfUlysses
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: ELECTION YEAR

Postby neck_cannon » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:06 am

to be very typical, i'm not voting. i have no large clue who any of these individuals are aside from facebook/google+ diatribes. i'd like to know more about them, yet at the same time i don't. i'd probably vote for obama or somebody else in the left that has no chance of winning, yet that would be pointless.

also, it has always been my understanding that the electoral college's poll trumps the popular vote, so even if we vote or not there will always be a chance that our vote does not count at all whatsoever. what i'm trying to say is that i will complain all i want about most things, no matter what.
User avatar
neck_cannon
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: ELECTION YEAR

Postby Phil » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:06 am

Democracy is absurd, it's government by the most manipulatable. Undecided voters are like the ball in pong, if the ball took 4-6 years to go back and forth across the screen. Then there are the people who just vote for people because they have an R or D next to their names. Those people are just the extras standing in the back, and, are realistically, no better.

Also, I live in Vermont, I can't think of a bigger waste of time for me to vote on any national politics because the dude with the D by his name has wrapped it up already.

Romney has spent most of his time lying, but whatever, you can't get that far as a politician without lying. Obama's imperialistic military policies are defeating today's terrorists and making plenty more for the future. Whatever, human existence is only temporary, and no republic has remained as the world's predominant superpower for more than about 300 years, so it's tough to have any real expectations.

People tell me I'm cynical and I tell people I'm pragmatic.
brianutatx wrote:You are just a wiener rock apologist. Down with wiener rock occupation and down with Topshelf!
Phil
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Re: ELECTION YEAR

Postby CitizenOfUlysses » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:54 am

While I def understand and sympathize with the "fuck voting, my vote don't even count and ppl r stupid" kinda viewpoint, I don't think I could ever adopt it myself. I believe in incremental change, and even if my vote for Obama will make me hate myself a little bit, it's better than nothing. He still has some good stuff/better than Romney stuff for education and healthcare, even though the healthcare bill was basically written by insurance company lobbyists anyway. It's almost as if I'll be basically voting for the D right by his name at that point? It's kind of sad that my voting virginity will have to be taken that way. But I feel like if I don't vote for him, I'm risking getting Romney in power, however small of a risk that may be. And Romney in power would probably be even worse than anybody else considering how much a slimebag that man is. It's like his whole existence is devoted to him becoming president to finish his father's work. And he's mormon too, which kinda scares me. That sounds bigoted of me, but I'd rather not have somebody who participates in a religion that requires a lot of time and devotion and dedication and that will influence the way you rule to a large degree in office. I mean, a lot of religions might do that, but being a mormon means that being a mormon is a very large part of your identity. And mormons are pretty fucking scary in terms of their beliefs.

And while democracy has some systemic problems, especially with our public education system being in the state that it is, I think that it's probably the only system that we can really choose or work with. I mean, it would be cool to go with Plato's whole thing about the tyrannic rule of philosopher kings who are smart people who decide everything for the masses, but I kinda just don't like that. While there are a lot of voters who are just like LOL BUSH SCREWED ME OVER, LET'S SEE IF OBAMA WILL TOO OH WAIT LOL OBAMA SCREWED ME OVER PLZ ROMNEY SAVE ME WITH YOUR CHISELED JAW LINE AND AMAZING HAIR, there's still a bit of hope, you know? A lot of people have good reasons for voting for either candidate, and while in the end the Koch Brothers and George Soros will both just throw money at everything until something sticks, people and their opinions still matter to some degree.

Phil wrote: Obama's imperialistic military policies are defeating today's terrorists and making plenty more for the future.


It's kinda sad how spot on that is :cry: However, that shit would happen regardless of who we put in charge in the white house. America loves its empire. At least Obama will look better for other countries if he's our face, versus Romney who will just look like a generic evil rich white guy.

I think maybe getting rid of the two party system would make a lot of this better. Looking at the parlimentary system and the whole "you get the number of seats for your party proportional to the votes you get" makes a hell of a lot of sense to me, and would incentivize more participation in democracy and more choice beyond just red, blue, and lolyou'llnevergetelected.
thievesguild wrote:old enough to skram...old enough to ram.
User avatar
CitizenOfUlysses
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: ELECTION YEAR

Postby gargamel » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:42 pm

CitizenOfUlysses wrote:I believe in incremental change.

your argument is invalid.
gargamel
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: chico, ca

Re: ELECTION YEAR

Postby CitizenOfUlysses » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:04 pm

gargamel wrote:
CitizenOfUlysses wrote:I believe in incremental change.

your argument is invalid.


History would like to speak to you.

But really, when I say incremental change, I mean that life would probably suck less under Obummer than it would under Mittens. Is that an incredibly sorry state of affairs and not really a good way forward for the second largest democracy in the world? Yeah. But unless we do away with a two party system soon, it's all we got. The Glorious Revolution won't come in another three months. I think that purposefully rejecting the system when it could legitimately help people by doing SOMETHING (like not repealing obamacare, however badly it may be written, or by not fucking over the lower class under Paul Ryan's Randian, Austrian School infected fuckery) AND THEN saying that what you're doing is somehow helping tear down "the system" is kinda ethically bankrupt.

But if you are coming from the perspective that the only alternative is to reject, I am rather sympathetic to that viewpoint. I used to believe it. I just became dissatisfied with that as the only way to progress when I realized that there ARE differences between the candidates, differences that are very real and that could potentially affect people and students especially (lol romney's vouchers) and could be potentially life changing. Also Romney's whole "we should totally go to war with Iran" rhetoric is fucking scary.
thievesguild wrote:old enough to skram...old enough to ram.
User avatar
CitizenOfUlysses
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: ELECTION YEAR

Postby riderofbrohan » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:03 am

CitizenOfUlysses wrote:But I feel like if I don't vote for him, I'm risking getting Romney in power, however small of a risk that may be. And Romney in power would probably be even worse than anybody else considering how much a slimebag that man is.

a vote for obama is a vote against romney and that's all that matters.
i didn't plan on voting at first, and then i realized the stakes.
User avatar
riderofbrohan
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:38 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: ELECTION YEAR

Postby Relemo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:26 am

i usually vote for batman(i dont ever know if i should put bruce wayne or not...)

this year i'm going to vote for iron man(they probably already know that iron man is tony stark right? i mean he's like super famous n shit, they just gotta know)

the first time i voted i voted for my mom, she didnt win.
love yourself, no one else will
User avatar
Relemo
 
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Austin Texas

Re: ELECTION YEAR

Postby neck_cannon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Retracting what i said later and might vote for Obama, especially after watching the RNC last week and the first day of the DNC today. I just don't want that other guy to win. Too fucking scary.
User avatar
neck_cannon
 
Posts: 1248
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: ELECTION YEAR

Postby CitizenOfUlysses » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:05 am

neck_cannon wrote:Retracting what i said later and might vote for Obama, especially after watching the RNC last week and the first day of the DNC today. I just don't want that other guy to win. Too fucking scary.


YOU CRAYCRAY MANNY WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO VOTE FOR A CHAIR
thievesguild wrote:old enough to skram...old enough to ram.
User avatar
CitizenOfUlysses
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Next

Return to Politics, social issues, being serious, etc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron