what really annoys me most about topshelfcore bands

Aka the "PC Zone"

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

klefmop

what really annoys me most about topshelfcore bands

Post by klefmop »

I feel as if these bands really think of sadness and depression as a trend. It really bugs me that most of the Tumblr population that listen to these bands are pretty much trending sadness. I do not think sadness or things of that nature should be looked at as a trend.
Also, I feel like topshelf is responsible for bringing screamo/skramz to the mainstream and spawning a wave of posers.
I sound like the hugest 'hipster', but I think this is the right place to vent at.
Your thoughts?
thebigmin wrote:Screamo Will Never Die

-thebigmin

arewehavingfunyet

Re: what really annoys me most about topshelfcore bands

Post by arewehavingfunyet »

I'm sure a lot of these kids don't actually feel that actual level of sadness and depression that seems to pour out of Topshelf. But how long does something remain "pure"? Wasn't this inevitable? Like all music sKrAmZ can be commercialized and marketed. It was really only a matter of time. Now this is where I'm sure I'll sound like an ass but talk to those fucking kids man. Its not that hard to turn a poser into someone who actually gives a fuck about things. I was a fucking poser all through high school and well into college. I still feel like one. But I know I love this shit and if I can share that with someone and maybe make them realize there is more to life than tie-dyed tank tops and four way splits but to actually experience something genuine while listening to the music we appreciate then its worth a dozen or so conversations about OmG Topshelf is soooo amazing.

désoeuvré

Post by désoeuvré »

Depression has been a trend since the 80s, man. It goes in and out of style like everything else. I don't think that those bands are necessarily posturing or trying to capture a trend wave by making sad music; just, some of them aren't very good, so they're posturing as musicians or something. I don't know if I'm making any sense. I was in the middle of typing this comment, and then some kid started playing trombone in the coffee shop that I'm trying to write a term paper in. That makes it sound weirder than it is; he's in a jazz band or something. He's playing too fast compared to the drummer and bassist. It's distracting. But yeah, I think that the sadness of people in TopshelfXCORE bands is probably real sadness, and their fans are probably kinda sad, too, but there's a huge difference between being kinda sad and being depressed or suicidal or whatever, and lots of people don't understand that, and they dramatically say, "OoooohoOHOHOHOhhhhh II'm so depressedddddd," when they're fine and don't need treatment or whatever. And, again, I don't think it's posturing so much as lack of understanding. People who don't know what skramz is hear Touché or something and they think, "THIS IS IT", and man, that's not it, but you're kinda close! Fimme?

klefmop

Post by klefmop »

People can really like whatever they want. Their attitudes towards the music just annoys me.
And, yes Des. I feel ya'. Just wanted to vent even though I probably sounded ig'nant.
thebigmin wrote:Screamo Will Never Die

-thebigmin

brokenbeat

Post by brokenbeat »

klefmop wrote:I feel as if these bands really think of sadness and depression as a trend. It really bugs me that most of the Tumblr population that listen to these bands are pretty much trending sadness. I do not think sadness or things of that nature should be looked at as a trend.
Also, I feel like topshelf is responsible for bringing screamo/skramz to the mainstream and spawning a wave of posers.
I sound like the hugest 'hipster', but I think this is the right place to vent at.
Your thoughts?
i agree with you. i do kinda think they are trying to market depression. but like someone mentioned above that's nothing new. it is a strange concept though. the bands on topshelf records are fucking terrible imo. no, i don't like the saddest landscape. they're rip offs of shit i've already heard or just terrible music (slingshot dakota). you are totally right about topshelf being indirectly responsible for the tumblr wave of "emo". ironically i think its shit like tumblr that's making kids depressed. who wouldn't be sad after a day on the internet looking at shit they can never have. the only thing about that particular "scene" is a few DECENT bands came out of it. when i say "scene" i mean lehigh valley that's where a lot of them (topshelf bands) came from/play often. the lead singer of street smart cyclist was great at that whole braid sound. they would have sucked without him. snowing is OKAY because its the singer from street smart. he wrote great lyrics. boy problems is my favorite out of the three(they had members from the aforementioned bands). the way they took those clean ass guitar riffs and mixed it with some really amazing screaming was pretty legit. i back them. in terms of their music only; i don't know those dudes. there are a few other bands from the mid 2000s but i won't bore you with all that.
Last edited by brokenbeat on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
one time!

brokenbeat

Post by brokenbeat »

arewehavingfunyet wrote:I'm sure a lot of these kids don't actually feel that actual level of sadness and depression that seems to pour out of Topshelf. But how long does something remain "pure"? Wasn't this inevitable? Like all music sKrAmZ can be commercialized and marketed. It was really only a matter of time. Now this is where I'm sure I'll sound like an ass but talk to those fucking kids man. Its not that hard to turn a poser into someone who actually gives a fuck about things. I was a fucking poser all through high school and well into college. I still feel like one. But I know I love this shit and if I can share that with someone and maybe make them realize there is more to life than tie-dyed tank tops and four way splits but to actually experience something genuine while listening to the music we appreciate then its worth a dozen or so conversations about OmG Topshelf is soooo amazing.

what's your idea of a poser? i'm not trying to be a dick i'm actually curious.
one time!

Brodan Armada

Post by Brodan Armada »

lmao i got this headline in my head "#sadness trending on twitter"
nah I feel you about the manufactured emo/skram thing, but I rly don't think it's a big deal. Everything is commercialized these days, and if it isn't now it will be soon. Every kind of music has a commercial equivalent if it's marketable enough. Plus, it's not like Topshelf is getting wealthy off it or they're actively ruining the music. I met the dude who runs the label at FEST a while back. I was very unimpressed, dude came off like a total weiner. Still I'm pretty open minded, i think, I can get down with some of the stuff on their label.... tho i have to say, I caught that band Have Mercy at a house show a few months back. Hooooly shit easily the worst band I've seen all year.
Anyways if kids start listening to Pianos Become the Teeth and then get into Suffocate, For Fucks Sake or Apoplexy Twist Orchestra or whatever's hip these days I think that's cool, especially if the music connects with them. i don't rreally know anything about the ironic fashionable skrim tumblr emo sad culture so i can't honestly comment on it, but I have no problem with more people listening to Dip Leg. People listen to Dip Leg I think.
Good points tho, i definitely feel you about honesty in music. Used to be in a band with some dudes who thought the band logo was more imperative than stuff like practicing, writing, yknow small things.....

pygmyprieta

Post by pygmyprieta »

Last edited by pygmyprieta on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

contrastedrecords

Post by contrastedrecords »

Well while I'll say some topshelf bands aren't that great, I don't mind a lot of them. Hell they aren't skramz, but some of them actually are pretty good. Now when I say I like these bands, I'm not worshiping them, but I mostly hate their fanbase more than anything, and this isn't totally their fault. For one thing most of these bands actually had pretty noble roots, and aren't bad at all. The only thing that I don't like about them is the whole idea of them being viewed as this 'wave' or whatever the hell you want to call it.

Like honestly if you were to listen to some of these bands without knowing the 'scene' that surrounds them (and I did originally) you'd actually think they are either good or at least decent music. If I like Mewithoutyou why wouldn't I like La Dispute?

Now with that being said, some bands on topshelf really do suck such as make do and mend. But some aren't too bad.
Scribbling my fix, I can't keep track;
Dose to dose while I start to crack.