Crowd Funding // Your Thoughts???

Aka the "PC Zone"

Moderators: klefmop, neck_cannon, Andrew, thebigmin, steven

Off Cloud Nine Label

Crowd Funding // Your Thoughts???

Post by Off Cloud Nine Label »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/893 ... yl-reissue

I've never been a fan of crowd funding. I always thought it was for lazy people. Seeing a band that prided themselves in DIY at one point do it is really weird to me. In other words, I have mixed feelings about this situation. It's cool that FD and this label want to reissue the underdark, but crowd funding to do so is sketchy to me. I mean FD and alone records released The Underdark once before not even 10 years ago by themselves...why can't this other label and FD do it again WITHOUT kickstarter?

How do you ladies and gentlemen feel about all this?

pygmyprieta

Re: Crowd Funding // Your Thoughts???

Post by pygmyprieta »

Last edited by pygmyprieta on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phil

Post by Phil »

I'm not sure what it costs to press an LP exactly, but I'd guess at $2000 for a total they are planning about 300 copies? That's assuming they don't pay for a portion of it themselves. Honestly, in 2013 I can't see them moving 300 copies of this record quickly. It seems like a more realistic project if they pressed somewhere between 100-200 on high quality, 180+ gram vinyl. I could see people being interested in having a nicer piece of wax than the original, and that way they'd be releasing something different than is already out there. My copy of the Alone Records one is pretty flimsy vinyl and it hasn't held up well, the CD I have sounds a lot better at this point to say the least.

Honestly though, this is one of my favorite screamo LPs and I would love if it remained in print as long people are interested, but I'm not sure they are.
pygmyprieta wrote:
"The only risk is people don't actually want this record repressed"
I'm not a pressing expert, but arn't you supposed to make your money back when the record sells? Did they attempt to poll interest? Or did they just go to kickstarter right away?
"Reducing loss/increasing profits", how is that a project?
And basically this. If it's worth doing, isn't it worth "doing it yourself"?
brianutatx wrote:You are just a wiener rock apologist. Down with wiener rock occupation and down with Topshelf!

Off Cloud Nine Label

Post by Off Cloud Nine Label »

I'm glad you guys responded! It's cool to know that I'm not the only one thinking this is odd.